UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:44 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Interesting articles - mainly amateur radio

There’s a nice selection of articles, mainly amateur radio, but not exclusively, from radio magazines of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s by David M Pratt G3KEP, David Noble G3MAW and Graham F Firth G3MFJ at the link below. David Pratt was for many years, the Chief City & Guilds Examiner for the Radio Amateurs’ Exam until the C&G felt that the RAE no longer fitted in with the C&G ethos as a vocational training and accreditation body, rather than for hobbyists.

David designed a 200 MHz digital frequency counter using nixie tubes way back in the late 1960s which featured in Radcom, and which I built successfully.

Hope the articles are of interest.

http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/articles/index.htm
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:10 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting articles - mainly amateur radio

Thanks for these. Much appreciated!
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:26 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Octode

David's web pages also include a full collection of RAE papers - including the one I took (and passed) in May 1973.

http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/rae/index.htm
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:30 pm   #4
raditechman
Heptode

Some good articles there, thanks.

John
Old 16th Sep 2016, 4:09 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
David's web pages also include a full collection of RAE papers - including the one I took (and passed) in May 1973.

http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/rae/index.htm
I took (and passed) the May 1974 exam, but the RAE course fell short of what I'd hope for, as I was primarily interested in construction, though the course and exam were not intended to give us a good solid grounding in the hobby - it was only meant to minimise the risk of us causing interference to other spectrum users. The current three-part licensing structure and tuition gives a much more solid grounding, with practical work and on-air contacts.

Quint to see on the exam papers that Cassel's Log tables were provided back in those far off days when pocket calculators were a rarity, and would doubtless have been seen as 'cheating'!

Below is the 200MHz nixie tube digital frequency counter I built from David's Radcom design at a time when a commercially produced counter would have ben far beyond my means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFM1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	130172  
Old 17th Sep 2016, 9:27 pm   #6
deliverance
Heptode

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing .
Closed Thread