UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2015, 10:53 am   #1
lanthorn
Diode

Default Control Panel Graphics Restoration

I've got a Bakelite control panel, and it has some ornate orange painted graphics and lettering that have worn off over the years in some places. It looks like it would have been screen printed so I'm not sure how to restore it to it's former glory. I've had plenty of luck with re-filling engravings, but this is clearly completely different.

Has anyone had any experience or success with this restoration process? If there's a service out there that can do it, that would be great.
Old 8th Oct 2015, 2:16 pm   #2
Dazmond
Hexode

Default Re: Control Panel Graphics Restoration

This is something i've been looking into, as like you say often the graphics are worn or missing.

I'm looking at going down the road of buying a screen printing kit and doing it myself, my day job is a graphic designer so I should be able to recreate most designs, but I think a lot comes down to the type of ink - but a cheapish screen printing kit on ebay should cover the basics:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunt-The-M...item3f51fb8d13

I'm aware that there a different types of inks depending on the surface such as chrome, wood etc, it's just a case of sourcing the correct one.

I haven't done all my research yet, but maybe something for you to look into too?
Old 10th Oct 2015, 1:17 am   #3
lanthorn
Diode

Thanks for your reply Dazmond.

I think there's a market for it with restoration, as they often get worn away.

In the end I sent this piece over to a pro in America who prints t-shirts, as he'd offered to help out with it.

He scanned the piece, sent that over to his artist, they sent back new art work, and he printed it on a silkscreen press. It was quite an involved process.

Hardest part was matching the enamel ink. Thankfully he had some left from other projects, but it would be about $30 a bottle otherwise, then the hassle of matching to a panatone colour scale.

End result looks amazing, well worth the hassle.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 8:01 am   #4
Dazmond
Hexode

Interesting stuff - do you have a photo of the finished item?

This is something that cost allowing, that i'd definitely pursue. I think it's important to try and be as self sufficient as possible, I find this an excellent way of learning new ideas and techniques that may come in handy for other areas later down the line.

Do you know how much ink your friend used to print the graphics?
Closed Thread