UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2015, 1:21 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Vintage Japanese tape recorder knobs

Hi everyone,

I happen to have 5 identical tape recorders, made in Japan in the mid 50's I would imagine. However one of them is missing its original knobs. These are the type that have an internal serrated shaft that sits on a serrated spindle of a pot that is recessed. I have searched and searched and have had no luck. The dimensions of the two knobs are: 1.5cm diameter, 1.7cm body height and 1.8cm shaft height. Any clues where I can start searching for a set please? The pictures taken and attached are from an identical machine with its original parts.
Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9589.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	111583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9588.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	111584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9591.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	111585  
Old 11th Aug 2015, 2:41 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Japanese tape recorder knobs

Right. Well I doubt if you'll find any knobs like those there, but 99% of electric guitars use knobs that push fit with those serrations onto similarly serrated pot shafts sticking out from the body of the guitar. The problem is, on guitar knobs, the serrated hole is totally internal to the knob, not on a separate section sticking out from the knob if you get what I mean. So I'm thinking maybe you could adapt something somehow? On most guitar knobs the internal part with the serrated hole in it has a gap between it and the outer, gripped part of the knob, so in theory you could remove the centre part and glue it to a suitable black knob. Not perfect but it's a starting point anyway. Do bear in mind though, there's two different types of knobs; 'Japanese' ones have coarse serrations, and 'US' ones have fine serrations. But most aftermarket ones are the coarser style that I think yours may be.

Here's a photo of an example of the kind of thing that I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2tone-1volume-volume-tone-guitar-metal-cap.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	111638  
Old 11th Aug 2015, 11:10 pm   #3
jascha
Hexode

Thanks for the idea. To be honest years ago I made up 2 knobs using this idea, using 2 knobs I found abroad and used the shafts and stuck them to two other knobs that are acceptably looking closer to the original. Nowhere near of course but it was a start. Years later now and am trying my luck to try and find a closer replacement, hence my questioning.
Old 12th Aug 2015, 7:59 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

I understand, best of luck. Given that the Japanese were hot on using serrated pots for lots of stuff, not just guitars, then I suppose it's possible that someone has a piece of redundant kit that has something similar.
Old 12th Aug 2015, 9:22 am   #5
jascha
Hexode

The thought of making 2 knobs out of a perfect mould from a set that I already have has passed through my mind however if I can find something vintage it would be great
Closed Thread