UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2015, 11:41 am   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Ever Ready Sky Master Case

I'm working on an Ever Ready Sky Master at the moment. It's had woodworm which I've treated it for and the few flight holes that there are I was going to fill with red/maroon wax.

I have read that Meltonian shoe cream is a good treatment for the rexine covering.

Has anyone had any success or otherwise with this? (Before I do something I can't undo!)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Master 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	111629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Master 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	111630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Master 3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	111631  
Old 11th Aug 2015, 11:47 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Master Case

Yes, John, I use this stuff all the time to renovate the rexine covering on vintage portable gramophones. Another good one is "Woly" renovating cream, which I get from eBay. Colours can be mixed to get the exact shade.

Barry
Old 12th Aug 2015, 7:51 am   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Master Case

OK thanks - I'll give it a go then. I noticed elsewhere on the forum that someone had used methylated spirits on Rexine.

I tried it and it certainly does clean it and sort of smooths out what colour there is and there's a definite improvement, but I suppose if the colour is missing, no amount of cleaning is going to put it back.

Thanks

John