UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2014, 11:22 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Tele 782 (or 8782) Issues

Thanks for everyone's help and offers. iI have managed to get them working finally.

iI do have another phone iI am stuck with, a 782R Push button. It is completely dead, plug it in and nothing happens. iIve had a look at the wiring but don't know if it is correct as iI cannot seem to find any information regarding the wiring of a 782 telephone. Does anyone know how it should be wired or have internal photos so that iI could compare.

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks, Andy

Edit: Moved from here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=96606

Last edited by AC/HL; 7th Jan 2014 at 3:37 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:26 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Tele 782 (or 8782) Issues

Andy,

Here's how I've connected my 8782, which works fine. a 782 should be similar, but with a 1000 Ohm bell-motor. Ignore the extra grey wire on terminal 10 and the extra blue wire on terminal 3. They go to the 'recall' switch which I use as a 'secrecy' button!

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8782.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	87544  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:28 am   #3
andyw25
Pentode

Default Re: GPO 746 Fault

Hi there, thanks for your advice regarding my 782, unfortunately iI suspect a lot of the wiring is incorrect as when compared to my 746 a lot is misplaced and some wires aren't even connected. Would it be possible to trouble you for the complete wiring sequence you have on your model, which wire goes to where etc so that iI can go through the phone and ensure everything is where it should be?

Many Thanks for your help, Andy.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:42 am   #4
andyw25
Pentode

Default Re: Tele 782 (or 8782) Issues

Thanks for the Picture, Just made sure mine is the same as yours and still dead, tho i should note where you have a grey wire coming from the keypad i do not have a grey wire, just the pink, brown, blue, orange and white.

Thanks, Andy
Old 7th Jan 2014, 1:07 am   #5
andyw25
Pentode

All wired up, joined T8 to T10 and T19A to T19B and it's still completely dead, not sure why as everything is now wired up and in place as far as iI can tell.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 9:12 am   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Tele 782 (or 8782) Issues

Andy,

Leave the P/B keypad strapped out and try swapping out the handset. Either that or short the mic out to make the line loop, and check the receiver is working by 'pinging' it with a battery. Handset swap with a known 'worker' is probably easiest.

I note from the cct diagram that there is a gas-gap right across the lincoming pair. It may have gone S/C.

Have you a multimeter?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:37 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Taking a look at the N diagram for the 782, there are also what appear to be muting wires connected to T1 and T2 (subject to note 3 on the diagram) so after linking T8 to T10 and T19A to T19B it might be worth disconnecting the keypad blue and slate (if fitted) wires from T1 and T2.

In fact disconnecting all the wires connected to the keypad might be a good idea before linking out to confirm whether your fault is on the transmission PCB or the keypad itself.

There is always a possibility that the keypad assembly has developed a fault

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread