UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2013, 3:35 pm   #1
threeseven
Octode

Default Push Button Trimphone 786 MF Instructions?

Would anyone know if the pushbutton version of the Trimphone has a last number redial function, and if so how to use it?
Old 8th Nov 2013, 4:36 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Push Button Trimphone 786 MF Instructions?

Hi,

I think the 786 is an early, very basic DTMF phone with no such clever business as a redial button or function.

However, if it's a 786RR, it has "Register Recall" AKA Timed Break Recall, which is essentially a button marked R or Recall which causes a "1" to be sent the old-fashioned way (i.e. loop disconnect). This is of no use when used on a BT line, but would have had uses when connected to a private switchboard, as these phones were originally intended to be used. This has nothing to do with last number redialling, of course.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t786.htm

Nick.
Old 8th Nov 2013, 4:40 pm   #3
threeseven
Octode

I was thinking that because it has * and # keys it might be the same as the xpress callmaker, which was the 772, which had last number redial.

Last edited by threeseven; 8th Nov 2013 at 4:47 pm.
Old 8th Nov 2013, 7:14 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Bob of Bob's Telephone Files is invariably right, so I'm afraid if he doesn't mention LNR then it's almost certainly not a feature.

As you know, the * and # keys were also for switchboard use and had no use (AFAIK) on standard domestic lines when this phone was introduced in the late 1970s.

If it's anything like the 700-series DTMF phones I've had, you have to dial carefully on a PSTN, holding each button down for a tad longer than you would with a modern phone. Jabbing the keys in a staccato way can lead to the exchange not recognising the digit, and misdialling.

Nick.
Old 8th Nov 2013, 7:43 pm   #5
threeseven
Octode

So far I've found that I can dial at the same rate as a modern push button phone without any problems. I would like to find an instruction set for this though, I reckon those * & # keys must have a function as the previous version didn't have them.
Old 8th Nov 2013, 8:00 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

But don't they just produce DTMF tones like modern tone-dialling phones do?
Old 8th Nov 2013, 8:16 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, the 786MF Trimphone is nothing more than a Trimphone with an MF dialing keypad, pad so it should work on any modern exchange or PBX.

There is no last number redial and if a (register) recall facility was required an additional button would be fitted underneath the front part of the case to operate an additional internal auxiliary switch.

The additional switches and buttons to do this are becoming quite scarce to obtain but the only time you would require recall is to use PBX or some of your service providers "less used" facilities such as three - way or shuttle calling.
These days, in most cases, register recall can be invoked by a swift tap on the switch hooks to simulate a line break anyway.

Regards

Andrew
Old 8th Nov 2013, 8:32 pm   #8
threeseven
Octode

Thanks Andrew. So the * & # are just like any modern MF phone then, pity. Of course it does have a deeper case to accommodate the key pad etc. Actually I just had a look at my 772 and I'd forgotten the 2 additional keys were designated T & P, and that is pulse dial of course.
Old 10th Nov 2013, 6:03 pm   #9
hamid_1
Heptode

The push-button Trimphone doesn't have a redial button, but it used to be possible to redial a number via the telephone exchange itself.

Picking up the phone and pressing * * 0 would redial the last number called. This was part of BT's Star Services, later renamed Network Services.

See here - it's part of "Code Calling".

I definitely used this feature in the 1990s, and when I had a cable company provided phone line, it had a similar facility to store and redial phone numbers. However the web page says "believed no longer available. Can anyone confirm?". Sorry I can't confirm this myself right now. Maybe just try it or ask your telephone line provider.
Old 10th Nov 2013, 6:32 pm   #10
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

If you're on a talktalk line you have Shortcode dialling on **1 - **8 and Talktalk directory enqs on **9

I don't know what **0 does and I'm not going to try it in case it costs money

Unfortuinately both TalkTalk and my Panasonic exchange require * or # for speed dialling which makes using LD phones a little more awkward than it needs to be.
Old 10th Nov 2013, 7:02 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
Can anyone confirm?". Sorry I can't confirm this myself right now. Maybe just try it or ask your telephone line provider.
"Sorry, the service requested is not available" on my PlusNet line.
Old 10th Nov 2013, 8:27 pm   #12
threeseven
Octode

Same here