UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2011, 5:55 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Recap or not

Hi All.
Been sorting out a Teac X7r today, new belts, lube and demag, Rw seems a bit slow though, wondering if a full recap will help or will it be a waste of money on this machine, it's a nice clean machine with good heads and light use going by it's condition.
Can't make up my mind what to do
Old 5th Apr 2011, 7:18 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Recap or not

Rather than a full recap i would find out first whats causing poor rewind.Is it indeed mechanical?

David
Old 5th Apr 2011, 11:12 pm   #3
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think it's mechanical as I have done a complete clean and lube job, and everything is free, will I get the cost of parts and labour back when I try to sell it, that's my question.
Old 6th Apr 2011, 12:18 am   #4
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

These decks use DC reel motors, faulty wind can be caused by brush trouble or carbon build-up between the commutator segments. I can't remember how the wind speed is regulated in the X7, but if it is an FG servo then a fluctuating voltage across the motor when running at constant speed is usually a sign that the motor rather than the electronics is at fault.

Lucien
Old 6th Apr 2011, 5:20 pm   #5
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Lucian.
Is it poss to strip and clean the motor or best leave it alone. I'm waiting for PCB boards to come from the US for the X1000r, will be in touch when they arrive.
Wal
Old 7th Apr 2011, 9:34 am   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes ISTR they're quite easy to service but like many PM DC motors they can be a little bit fiddly to reassemble. Take off the back end, watching out for any nylon shims on the end of the shaft, and being careful not to let the armature hit the magnets as this can cause loss of magnetism. Clean the comm and remove all carbon dust, reassemble using a thin tool to guide the brushes over the comm. Do not let the flat brush springs twist.

Check the motor is receiving full volts first, and that the back tension and arm positions are normal, before going to the trouble of pulling it apart. I can't picture how the motor speed is controlled in the 7" decks, probably not at all during wind as they don't have low-speed search. Only the back-tension is under servo control from the arm positions.

Lucien
Closed Thread