UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2011, 6:06 pm   #1
jimpick67
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferrograph 631

I have a ferrograph 631 which has started to slow down when playing back tapes at 3.75 ips, the other 2 speeds are fine, when I pull on the lever that is attached to the idler wheel it picks up speed and when I release it it slows again I have cleaned all the parts that need cleaning but I am now at a loss as to what to do any help will be appreciated as I love my machine.
Jim
Old 14th Mar 2011, 6:49 pm   #2
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: ferrograph 631

It's quite possible you need new idler wheels.
Old 14th Mar 2011, 11:38 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I had exactly the same problem with my Ferrograph, and new idler wheels cured the fault.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 30th Mar 2011, 11:11 am   #4
david craig
Triode

I'm sure you have already had the correct answer to this - idler wheel problems - but I have also had a problem with 'sticky' tapes gumming up the whole tape path! David
Old 30th Mar 2011, 2:39 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph 631

Swap an idler from another speed, to prove. Are they held against the drive column by springs? If no change when you have swapped then try spring.