UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 3:24 am   #21
mickash
Hexode

Default Re: "Genie" telephone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3k1yHk5Fs

Basically a more modern phone than the old "tethered to the wall" dial phones that were now available with the new plug and socket system.

Last edited by mickash; 14th Feb 2018 at 3:33 am.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:31 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Here is a little more information on the Genie (TSR8023), in the form of the circuit diagram that I traced out from mine. Sorry, I don't 'do' CAD, so you'll have to put up with my handwriting, but it should be better than nothing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSR-8023_Genie.pdf (1.25 MB, 108 views)
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:36 pm   #23
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

'In Phone' was a BT advertising campaign when these fancy 'phones first became available. The TV adverts featured a version of Dobie Gray's The In Crowd changed to "I'm in with the In Phone."
Old 16th Feb 2018, 3:36 pm   #24
McMurdo
Dekatron

inphone referred to the entirely 'new' system of austin taylor BT431 plugs/sockets and phones with plugs that could be used for easy parallel-connection of phones around the phone, in the days before cordless luxury. I'm showing my age by referring to it, I suppose. (introduced circa 1983).

British Telecom incorporated a touring roadshow to promote its new phones available to rent or buy, its roots to the GPO and historical exhibits. I went to the one at Trentham Gardens and was so excited being let loose with all the exotic shapes of phones and switchboards that I was verging on hysteria.

BT actually have a bit of info on old phones on their website and even mention the early push button phones like the first Genies that were still only pulse dial!
Old 16th Feb 2018, 5:23 pm   #25
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Do I infer from the above that the "Genie" was also available in a DTMF version? All the ones I have come across so far have been LD (pulse).
Old 16th Feb 2018, 5:50 pm   #26
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

They certainly were in the US, Dave. I don't know if any made it over here, at least officially.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 8:05 pm   #27
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, after posting the above I had a bit of a dig round, and the only DTMF ones I found were American. All the UK ones I found were LD.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 8:17 pm   #28
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The PCB in my Genie says 'UK Genie' on it. It is clearly designed for the UK Plug 431A wiring, with the ringing capacitor in the master socket rather than the telephone. And it is LD (pulse) dialing only.

There would be no obvious way to make it DTMF dialing, although the TEA1061 speech chip has inputs for a DTMF dialer, they are not used. I think if there was a DTMF version it would be a totally different PCB.

All the references I can find to the TSR (Telephone Special Range) 8023 (which is the Genie with last number redial) and 8022 (without redial) say they are LD only. I can find no mention of a Genie in the TSR lists which is DTMF.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 8:34 pm   #29
McMurdo
Dekatron

I cant remember where I read it but ISTR there were at least 3 OEM manufacturers of the Genie during its life, with the manufacturer stamped around the periphery of the base.
Later on there were slightly larger ones made by mybelle or interquartz or someone like that and sold through argos. I think they were called 'aladdin' or other genie-related name

edit: google tells me AP Besson, Autophon (aka Ascom) and ATC (primarily US).

An ATC genie is in the science museum, and is dated around 1970 !!!

Last edited by McMurdo; 16th Feb 2018 at 8:42 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 11:25 pm   #30
hamid_1
Heptode

Well I happen to have a DTMF Genie phone, so there's at least one in the UK. I bought it in the USA - they weren't originally sold here, as far as I know.

At first glance, it looks like the British Telecom Genie phone, but the 'dial' has * and # buttons as well as the digits 0-9. The BT version sometimes had Secrecy and Last Redial functions in place of the * and # keys; sometimes those two extra buttons were left blank, depending on the model. The American version has no secrecy or redial functions either. Also the BT version has their logo - the 'T' in a circle - in the centre of the dial. On the American version, it's blank.

On the base, mine says manufactured by American Telecommunications Corp. and is dated 1983. I assume the British Genie phones were made under licence from ATC, but with a new PCB designed for loop disconnect signalling (residential phone lines that supported DTMF were rare in UK in the early 1980s).

I always thought "InPhone" referred to British Telecom's range of designer / fashion phones. The word "In" is sometimes used to denote something that's trendy or fashionable. The idea was that customers could unplug their old phone and replace it with something more fashionable whenever they wanted, unlike the old GPO days when phones were hard-wired and only a few standard designs were available. Ultimately, this turned the telephone into a throwaway object.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 12:12 am   #31
McMurdo
Dekatron

Ours doesnt have a 'T' marking on the dial, but then again it came from a hifi shop, not a BT outlet. Some BT phones were from concessions or fixtures in other shops. I remember Boots had a 'BT' section. You could ring the phones by pressing buttons.