UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2017, 9:17 am   #1
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Numbers stations by phone

Not sure where this should go - mods please move if appropriate.
I used to be fascinated by the radio numbers stations, which all but disappeared with the end of the cold war. I hadn't heard any for years, until a few days ago when I picked up a couple of missed messages on my landline. Each consisted of a series of numbers read in a well-synthesized voice, just like the stations of old (no music though). No other message, and an entirely neutral tone, unlike text to speech translation, for instance.
A little internet research revealed that the same system of covert communication is still used, but via VOIP rather than radio. I can only assume that a couple of messages were somehow misdirected to my number. I shall be careful what I say on the phone for the next few days, anyway, in case GCHQ. are listening-in!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 4:59 pm   #2
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Re: Numbers stations by phone

Now thats scary! You sure its not someone playing a prank on you. Can't imagine the secret service miss dial numbers think they are a bit more careful than that. Oh wait why is there a man in a dark suit watching my house LOL.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 9:21 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Some on-line services call your registered phone number with a random code that you have to key in to prove your identity. Here is one that many people will recognise from HMRC.
https://soundcloud.com/user-506627852/hmrc

but others I have encountered sound more synthesised, and do not have the preamble telling you the identity of the sender.

As you say, if the wrong phone number was entered, it may belong to someone else.

Incidentally, the number stations I remember from the 60s and 70s may have sounded monotone, but I doubt they were synthesised. Probably a real voice delivered by an optical disk, much like the Speaking Clock.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 21st Dec 2017 at 9:29 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 10:42 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I'm familiar with some of the ID codes, and these don't sound quite like any I've heard. It's difficult to pin down, but I think due to the slightly extended pauses between the digits which makes them sound exactly like some of the numbers stations. They are certainly 'colder' sounding than the HMRC ones.
It's possible that the numbers are indeed natural voice recordings, but there's a consistency in pronunciation and tone which suggests synthesis. I understand that at least some of the numbers stations used voice synthesis, although how this was established is unclear.
Of course it might all be easily explained, but the messages do sound oddly spooky, not just to me but to others who have heard them. I'd post recordings here, but think it might be unwise, just in case. Rather like the unlicensed radio reception recently discussed, I suspect the correct procedure is to delete the messages immediately and tell no-one!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 10:54 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The 'correct' procedure might be to keep the message and tell GCHQ!
they probably can't quite manage to monitor every phonecall. Possibly they don't know about it. Machine screening of speech must be a lot more expensive in machine time than formats which are already in ASCII.

David
Old 21st Dec 2017, 11:26 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn’t tell GCHQ. They’ll listen to all the calls from your accountant then too
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 12:03 am   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Presumably they left no caller id! Was it "with-held" or "international"? Ignore it unless it happens again. No point in making things potentially complicated for yourself. They will ring back if they are serious. That's always my take on funny calls.
Alan.
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 1:13 am   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I'm familiar with some of the ID codes, and these don't sound quite like any I've heard. It's difficult to pin down, but I think due to the slightly extended pauses between the digits which makes them sound exactly like some of the numbers stations. They are certainly 'colder' sounding than the HMRC ones.
It's possible that the numbers are indeed natural voice recordings, but there's a consistency in pronunciation and tone which suggests synthesis. I understand that at least some of the numbers stations used voice synthesis, although how this was established is unclear.
Of course it might all be easily explained, but the messages do sound oddly spooky, not just to me but to others who have heard them. I'd post recordings here, but think it might be unwise, just in case. Rather like the unlicensed radio reception recently discussed, I suspect the correct procedure is to delete the messages immediately and tell no-one!
Strictly speaking you are correct in not divulging details of a communication that you believe was not intended for yourself.

I think the possibility of the involvement of "spooks" is vanishingly small, there are far too many mundane possibilities.
Example,
The numerical nature of the message means it could be some sort of metering telemetry, say from a weather station or an industrial process. Perhaps it was sent as a text message for display on an SMS enabled phone (possibly, but not necessarily a mobile.) If such a message is sent to a phone that cannot display text it is delivered by speech synthesis, and by coincidence I had such a message last week, and my phone system dutifully recorded it:

https://soundcloud.com/user-506627852/sh-synth-1

On the subject of phone systems you mentioned VoIP in your OP and my system is based on the popular Asterisk/FreePBX. The default speech synthesis engine is called Flite, and it is so robotic as to be almost useless.

Here's an example

https://soundcloud.com/user-506627852/synth

See what I mean?

Of course your message might not sound like either of those, but that's my point, there are countless possibilities.
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 1:57 am   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

Caller Id won't necessarily identify the caller's actual number, as it seems it is possible to spoof the caller's number.

For the past week we have been having telephone calls on a daily basis from the same number, obviously from a call centre, with Indian-sounding callers, offering us an insurance package for our TV at only £5 instead of the £7.50 we are paying at present ( in fact we don't have any TV insurance). A number comes up when we dial 1471, but dialling it gets a "The number you have dialled has not recognised" message from BT, and the "call protect" 1572 service doesn't recognise it as a valid nimber either, so I can't block that caller that way. I have tried asking exactly who they are, and their company name and address, but they always ring off at that point.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Dec 2017 at 2:05 am.
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 8:18 am   #10
Station X

Let's not go down the phone scams route please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:31 am   #11
Tim
Dekatron

I feel a plot for a spy novel coming on.....