UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:34 am   #21
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Phones or intercoms?

Well, I've learnt something!
I always thought it was pronounced 'Gekkophone'.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 4:29 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Salvador DalĂ­ clearly missed a trick there. He should have had a "Geckophone" instead of (or to go with) his Lobster Telephone.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 5:28 pm   #23
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I know I posted ages ago, but have been somewhat unwell. So have just pulled these out again. Could someone just explain the wiring, battery ect. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1dscf9673.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	165509   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dscf9674.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	165510  
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 10:28 pm   #24
space charge
Tetrode

My vote is for a intercom system, possibly a battery box and or induction coil is fitted between the sets. If not then lots of acoustic shocks. Normally in old stuff the battery terminals would be marked c for carbon or plus and z for zinc or negative. The likely battery voltage is probably about 3V. The on hook key and the ringing key are also slightly confusing. The ringing is probably DC. If you draw the corresponding set it should become less murky.

Regards EI7KA.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 11:26 pm   #25
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 View Post
I know I posted ages ago, but have been somewhat unwell. So have just pulled these out again. Could someone just explain the wiring, battery ect. Thanks
I tried to connect 2
on each telephone you may have 2 batteries, Between BT and BL you have a battery used for voice and ringing. Normal D-sells are plenty, alkaline AA will probably do. Depending on the resistance in the line, the voltage should be adjusted to send 25-50 Milli-ampere when both phones are off hook. (More than 50 Milli-ampere may fry your transmitter capsule) (Usually 2 cells on each phone will be OK) The battery between P and BT will be same size, and voltage needed to ring the bell on the other phone. (on short lines even no battery, just a strap may do) You have to test.

As you see the line are switched, L on one to BL on the other. If those wires not are like that, the batteries on on of the phones has to change polarity.

dsk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intercom2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	165518  

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 3rd Jul 2018 at 11:36 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 11:46 pm   #26
Herald1360
Dekatron

That centre tapped dual battery arrangement is devious. Both receivers and transmitters all in series with two batteries is somewhat crude, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jul 2018, 3:25 pm   #27
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Thanks all for the comments, dagskarlsen I followed your diagram, all working thanks.
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 9:54 pm   #28
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 View Post
Thanks all for the comments, dagskarlsen I followed your diagram, all working thanks.
Nice to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
That centre tapped dual battery arrangement is devious. Both receivers and transmitters all in series with two batteries is somewhat crude, though.
Yes it is but this simple setup makes it work on shorter and longer lines by just adjusting the voltage, and you do the same in both ends so it is not much to figure out.

dsk
Closed Thread