UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2022, 11:35 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Dymar Modulation meter.

Hi Peeps. I am looking at making a "chinese" copy of the Dymar Modulation meter, however they use two IC's that I have no data on....PA230 some sort of RF opamp. Might even be a LM709 as it has external compensation.
Any ideas ??

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 27th Jan 2022, 12:17 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Dymar Modulation meter.

How about getting a bit more modern and building something a little simpler?

https://www.vk5dj.com/deviation.html

Only extra needed is a scanner (as in radio scanner) to tap in to.
Old 27th Jan 2022, 8:58 am   #3
Stockden
Heptode

I can confirm that the “use an old scanner” approach works well. I have such a modulation meter that I build around 30 years ago to a designing published in 73 magazine. I don’t use it anymore but when I checked it’s calibration a couple of years ago it was still impressively good for such a simple design.

The main down side is that you need to get access to some sort of “standard” in order to set or confirm the calibration (in my case I borrowed a service monitor from work). Of course the scanner needs to cover the frequencies of interest and needs the right channel spacing for what you want.

Hugh
Old 27th Jan 2022, 9:58 am   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Wendy, I may have some '709's from way back if you need any

Ed
Old 27th Jan 2022, 11:37 am   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Peeps. Haa Haa...... You convinced me Terry. I will do a pcb.. and go from there...
Stupidly I gave away a Dymar Mod meter about a year ago. It was bought as a "donor" and sat in the storage area.... I thought... what a pity to destroy it... so I offered it in the forum.
Well now... building my 2 M TX/RX it is only right that the levels are set correctly and I have a ICOM ICR 7100...... so... there you go. Thanks Ed... but I wont need them now.....
I do a bit on the VHF radio.. then have a few days off....and look at other things...pity I have a super mirrored moving coil meter.....I May just incorporate it

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread