UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2022, 3:38 pm   #101
bc312
Pentode

Default Re: Haigh Wobbulator is there sufficient interest for a PCB?

Thanks Peter - no problem.

Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 5th Feb 2022, 2:59 pm   #102
ian_rodger
Pentode

I have just completed building my wobbulator (thanks to Peter Electronpusher0 efforts). I just wanted to check with others who have built this if the output waveform I get is correct. In summary, with the varactor diode shorted I get a reasonable sine wave. With the varactor in circuit, however, I get significant distorion. Is this to be expected due to the voltage swing across the varactor modifying the frequency curve or have I another problem to investigate? Scope photos below illustrate output waveform with and without the varactor in circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no varactor.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	251136   Click image for larger version

Name:	with varactor.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	251137  
Old 5th Feb 2022, 11:54 pm   #103
orbanp1
Heptode

No surprise there.
On the cathode of that varicap there is about 15Vpp signal (+/- 7.5V from the ground), and the varicap is after all a diode.
That is from a simulation, with a coil of Q 50, at about 1.2MHz.
The KV1236 varicap has a capacitance of 500pF to 30pF from 1V to 8V.
Even if you add the offset DC voltage on the cathode (the tuning voltage) the diode will still clip the signal, as well as change the capacitance as the sinusoidal signal changes.
To limit such effects they usually use several diodes in parallel, and two sets of such parallel diodes connected in series, with opposing polarity.
You would also want a "regular" cap parallel with the varicaps, so the varicaps only provide a fraction of the tuning capacitance.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	varicaps.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	251192  

Last edited by orbanp1; 6th Feb 2022 at 12:09 am.
Old 6th Feb 2022, 1:25 pm   #104
mole42uk
Nonode

Just a couple of queries:

1. The Output Level (R13) is referenced as 4k7 by Haigh, 10k by Matthews. Is there a preferred value?

2. The Front Panel drawing has a scale for "Timebase (Hz x 10)" but the circuit diagram has two controls, "Sweep Rate" and "Sweep Amplitude". Which is referred to as "Timebase"?

Thanks!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 6th Feb 2022, 3:36 pm   #105
Electronpusher0
Nonode

The output level pot is not critical, either value works.

Sorry about the confusion over the "timebase", that is the sweep generator The "Sweep Rate" is labelled as "Timebase (Hz x 10)" on the front panel since it performs a similar function to the timebase on a scope.

I laid out the front panel for the prototype I built some time ago. In that version the wobbulator pcb was the same as that published in the original article and I made the sweep generator / timebase on vero board.

When I laid out the pcb recently I forgot that I had labelled the sweep rate pot as Timebase on the front panel.

Hope thats clear.

Peter
Old 6th Feb 2022, 4:13 pm   #106
ian_rodger
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbanp1 View Post
No surprise there.
On the cathode of that varicap there is about 15Vpp signal (+/- 7.5V from the ground), and the varicap is after all a diode.
That is from a simulation, with a coil of Q 50, at about 1.2MHz.
The KV1236 varicap has a capacitance of 500pF to 30pF from 1V to 8V.
Even if you add the offset DC voltage on the cathode (the tuning voltage) the diode will still clip the signal, as well as change the capacitance as the sinusoidal signal changes.
To limit such effects they usually use several diodes in parallel, and two sets of such parallel diodes connected in series, with opposing polarity.
You would also want a "regular" cap parallel with the varicaps, so the varicaps only provide a fraction of the tuning capacitance.

Peter
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I measure about 6Vpp a.c. on the varicap in my circuit, with DC offset determined by the tuning pot. So looks like its working as intended.

Ian
Closed Thread