UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2018, 8:25 pm   #1
Don Henschel
Banned

Default How common are these Philco?

I have been noticing quite a few 333&444 for sale and surprisingly the prices have dropped considerably for very good examples. What I seldom see for sale are A527's and B537's for sale, the brown newer version. If the possibly more desirable 333&444 are always for sale with dropping prices how common are the brown and what is a reasonable price? I'm also noticing a price decline in the A22,AC65 etc. as well which I wouldn't mind having but I find the "collection in person" note quite annoying to say the least.
Old 10th Oct 2018, 9:50 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: How common are these Philco?

Hard to guess at the number of surviving examples of those later models: even the 333/444 are much less numerous than A22s. I suppose most collectors interested in owning a bakelite People's Set are more than happy to settle for a 333, and there can't be many folk trying to assemble a collection of the different Philco models or the more scarce sets would command a premium.

I wouldn't say I've ever been annoyed exactly by the "collection in person"" requirement, it's anyone's right in my book to offer his items with any conditions he cares to attach, and that particular condition tends sharply to reduce the monetary return. I'll admit to having been sometimes a mite perplexed and/or frustrated when a modestly sized and easily packed transistor set that would have filled a hole in my radio colony turned out to be "collection only". Preparing the likes of a 333 or A22 for safe courier transport, though, is no doddle, and I'm rather glad that the attempt often isn't made, given the proportion of large radios I've ever had sent to me that have been broken by the journey.

Paul
Old 11th Oct 2018, 12:31 am   #3
Don Henschel
Banned

Default Re: How common are these Philco?

Meanwhile my 444 arrived quite safely from London and my Braun VE301Wn also arrived alive and well from Germany. When I request international shipping I always specify "at my expense and risk" and obviously the better it is packed the safer it will be and of course only costs ME more in the end. Right now I'm waiting for response for a 1930/31 Loewe Opta EB 100W with that 3NFW valve, the one with 3 separate valves, resistors, and capacitors all individually enveloped each in their own glass envelope all in one bottle. Now this is a work of art for going back to the 1920's such as the Loewe OE333
Closed Thread