UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2018, 2:17 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default The Changing Sound of Radio Saturday 13/10/18

[As promised on the How Much Time Do You Get To Work On Sets?] Thread

This program is on 4xtra at 9am and 10pm for three hours. Widlife Sound Recordist Chris Watson examines the History and Technology of Radio. It's a "Pick Of The Week" in Radio Times, with a small feature indicating lots of programs [p123] including "from 2004, a celebration of magnetic tape Fifteen Inches Per Second". Having read about the recent death of the Beatles Sound Engineer Geoff Emerick, I've ordered his somewhat controversial Biog from 2006. He can be heard on this Doc talking about Sgt Pepper apparently.

On Front Row [R4] last week, they played a recording where he mentioned the backwards tape effects that characterise Revolver. I saw Joan Armatrading at the De La Warr Pavillion last week [a favourite of my wife]. The highlight for me was Joan soloing with various effects boxes, one of which produced, at the touch of a button, the "backwards tape" sound pioneered laboriously by Geoff at Abbey Road in 1966.

Dave W
Old 11th Oct 2018, 5:41 pm   #2

Default Re: The Changing Sound of Radio Saturday 13/10/18

Heard a plug on R4, I will be listening.

Old 13th Oct 2018, 11:19 am   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

"Bumping" this as it's running at the moment. I'll be interested to hear what anyone else "listening in" [as they used to say] thinks?

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Oct 2018 at 11:28 am.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 4:40 pm   #4

Quite quirky (I like quirky) managed to listen to most of it, there was a very good bit on tape splicing and the radiophonic workshop. A mix of radio programmes and the presenters love of recording. It is one I will download and keep for a long workshop session.

Old 13th Oct 2018, 5:42 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

I wasn't so sure about the choice of Pod Casts at the end merlin but the last one with its list of irritations you might encounter in life won me over. I'm a bit prejudiced re PC's. I've often heard the material, as Broadcast, anyway and accessed it from I-Player. There seems to be a Beeb assumption that we should all be listening on the move and down loading the trendy "modern" way! Will they try to phase out other access I wonder
It's a minor quibble re this rather clever program though.

Dave
Old 13th Oct 2018, 6:12 pm   #6

I use Get_Iplayer which saves an audio file of the programme, much more convenient than using iplayer as you can put it on any MP3 box and don't need to be connected while listening. Great for walks.

Old 13th Oct 2018, 9:58 pm   #7
reelguy
Heptode

Thanks Dave, I've set the freeview recorder for this . On Radio 4Xtra.
Plus a couple of other programmes I may find interesting.

Peter W... reelguy
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:01 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

You mean you're not recording it all on 1/4" tape Peter-heresy surely

Dave
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:50 am   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I wasn't so sure about the choice of Pod Casts at the end merlin but the last one with its list of irritations you might encounter in life won me over. I'm a bit prejudiced re PC's. I've often heard the material, as Broadcast, anyway and accessed it from I-Player. There seems to be a Beeb assumption that we should all be listening on the move and down loading the trendy "modern" way! Will they try to phase out other access I wonder
It's a minor quibble re this rather clever program though.

Dave

Have a listen to Fridays "Feedback" on the iPlayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000pf0
from 21:34 in, where the interviewee explains how the BBC gets its listening figures for their PodCasts from Apple.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:39 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks very much for the link Graham-this had slipped past my Media Watch. You seem to be on the same page [or should that be App?] as me
I don't doubt the convenience and popularity of Pod Casts for some listeners and the ongoing opportunities for technical integration [as highlighted by Merlin re the I-Player]. I've no problem with that at all. It's the real agenda that concerns me!

20Mins in to "Feedback". "Why is the BBC so keen on Pod casts ?
Non Answers
[1] A large group [some six million people] already use the service.
[2] Some of these listen via the Radio/Some don't.
[3] Many discover high quality sound for the first time [?] [Does he perhaps mean better than Apple devices]
Not really an answer.
[4] 'We at the BBC' think we can do this very well !

It had to be admitted during the interview that there is no real Index for measuring take up except via Apple. The respondent is the Editor of 'Intrigue'.
Big Corporations are always seeking to expand Internationally. I suspect that's the real story re our Public Service Broadcaster. It's why you now have to Log in to I Player. After [generally] ignoring the Archives, these can now be monetised! "The Changing Sound of Radio" indeed!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Oct 2018 at 1:48 pm.
Old 15th Oct 2018, 1:04 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Curiously, especially after Graham flagged up the Feed back program yesterday, there is a rather pious letter in today's Guardian with signatories including all the main Television Channels AND the increasingly Corporate Beeb's DG, bewailing a potential loss of Public Service Broadcasting in the "battle for global influence" against the likes of Apple, Amazon, Netflix et al ! There might be a touch of hypocrisy in there somewhere I suspect, if not Machiavelli!

If anyone wonders what this has to do with a Vintage Radio Forum, I'd say everything. On a basic level it's taken a very long time to get the level of access to Archive material that we enjoy and have in fact paid for, much of it only saved and preserved by private individuals. A previous, very popular, DG with the right initials [GD] promised us direct access and that was the last we saw of him! BBC4, in particular, has been putting out a mass of Vintage or related material since it's inception in 2002. I wouldn't want to pay for it though [again].

Dave W
Closed Thread