UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2018, 9:46 pm   #101
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: What vintage equipment did you actually use today?

I forgot this one: our 1980-vintage Akai stereo which sits on top of the microwave in the kitchen and is used daily, these days connected to an old smartphone for Internet radio and YouTube. The UC-U2 amplifier and UC-K2L tuner are like full-size hi-fi components squashed in to smaller boxes, and they work really well. I also have the matching UC-M2 cassette deck which works but needs new belts. I think my brother found them all somewhere in 1994 and gave them to me as junk. Now they're getting on for three times as old as they were then! They have had all their filament lamps replaced with white LEDs but that's more or less all the maintenance they've needed.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219_210015.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	174919  
Old 20th Dec 2018, 8:33 am   #102
daveobuchanan
Pentode

A PHILIPS B5G64A with blue tooth plugged into the phono input in the kitchen. In my "office" a valved Dynaco PAT4 drives an OEM stereogram amplifier chassis (EZ80 2xECL86), tweaked a bit, hooked up to my Dovedale IIIs. its a lovely combination that I have been using for about 7 years now. repeatedly surprise how fresh it sounds. Still using a Sony wide screen CRT.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 8:58 am   #103
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

This morning, Radio 4 on my Goblin Time spot with the clock going the right way round.

Kevin.
Old 20th Dec 2018, 3:30 pm   #104
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I was struck by the number of people who have reported about listening to the radio on various types of equipment but maybe it fits best with the Forum. There is some reference to other items as I had expected. I suppose we have all sorts of old gear we don't think about in a way. Plus I was influenced by the thread re people still using twin-tub washers! So quick in use, I'd forgotten!

Using the Paul Stenning 25 year rule, though [p85] I realise that I'm listening to the radio all day and every day in the lounge on something much older than that. Its a high end Pioneer Music Centre [Model PL-Z95] given to my wife by a friend. Her "Victor Meldrew" husband grumbled as soon as she passed it on but he left it in the roof space for years. There are two DVD and two Cassette decks but they don't work. As I recall it's dated early eighties, one of those looking like five "separates" but having just one front panel. That's often the "case" with cheaper units but this is quite high end. There's a separate record deck [SZ370] on top and a pair of large speakers. Unusually, it also has an external input [originally designed for 12" Video Disc]. Well I said it was high end!

Apart from the Radio, I can play CD/Cassette and DVDA [audio] discs through what is now the AUX socket. The sound quality is truly excellent!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Dec 2018 at 3:41 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 6:22 pm   #105
RojDW48
Nonode

My 60s Radford (SC24, STA35, Studio 90 T-lines) system gets used every day, as does the little Tripletone single ended integrated valve amp attached to this computer !
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 9:18 pm   #106
Dickie
Octode

Similarly my Radford STA15 (salvaged from the local dump 30 years ago - honestly!) feeding a pair of IMF TLS-50s purchased from forum member "valvepower" are used everyday. Not forgetting a Roberts RP26 in the kitchen.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 1:47 pm   #107
mark2collection
Hexode

Most of this week in preparation for the festivities, we've been listening to a Sobell 511W (which I really ought to write about).

Today, a break from Christmas music and a different set on the go.

Jack Hylton via Philco 444.

Mark
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 2:01 pm   #108
Refugee
Dekatron

We are also having a break from the Christmas music.
The ex Paramount cinema amplifiers from the mid 1950s are playing away with a stack of CDs waiting to go on after the one that is now playing.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 2:07 pm   #109
vidjoman
Dekatron

Currently listening to Radio 2 on my Grundig 3028 wireless.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 6:10 pm   #110
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

I am listening to Radio Dismuke on my 1933 Cossor 3468, using a 2011 Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 smartphone and a Minimod pantry transmitter dated 2016. Not all vintage stuff, I know but the sound comes out of the oldest working radio I currently own.

Last edited by M0TGX Terry; 23rd Dec 2018 at 6:17 pm. Reason: To correct date of Minimod.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 7:01 pm   #111
Paul_RK
Dekatron

We move to Norfolk in three weeks, so today I've been up and down the stairs with armfuls of books, while as often as I could wish for it a Ukrainian Meridian 211 has furnished Radio 4 in the hallway as has a Short Wave Herald on the landing. The Meridian, for those who don't know it, is just beyond the toaster. From here on in, just about every day will be boxing day.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chaosx.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	175118  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 7:30 pm   #112
Andrew2
Nonode

Almost every morning I listen to 'Today' on BBC Radio 4 on my 60's Ekco 'Vanity' transistor radio for a wee while before either a) getting up or b) falling back to sleep again. I can't recall when I last replaced the battery, I think it runs on nostalgia. It's a grand life....

Oh, I suppose my HP3435 multimeter counts as vintage, having been made in the mid-70's. I was using it earlier on to set the PLL in a mobile VHF transceiver.

Last edited by Andrew2; 23rd Dec 2018 at 7:44 pm.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 8:01 pm   #113
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Today it's been the Bush VHF81 doing most of the heavy-lifting, listening to www.di.fm streamed via my Samsung cellphone and a £9.99 FM-transmitter I got from 'The Range' a few months back.

I've also been listening on S20 using my early-1970s Pye Westminster W15FMD. Nothing heard!
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 9:17 pm   #114
kirstyd
Heptode

listened to radio 2 all day today on the hacker RG200 radiogram [with stereo decoder]
Old 31st Dec 2018, 9:59 pm   #115
Lancs Lad
Heptode

What about this lot, then?

It's the incoming electricity supply to my house. I have no idea what's in the cream - coloured metal box (maybe a fuse?) It's been there since the house was built, in the late 1940s/early 1950s, and never been touched.

The fuse box was installed in 1980 when the house was rewired.

It's all in use every day, obviously. And I can honestly tell you, I have never had a fuse blow in all these years! Not even when my brother plugged his welder in to repair Dad's car!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20181231_20_42_51_Pro.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	175520   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181231_20_44_10_Pro.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	175521  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 31st Dec 2018 at 10:23 pm. Reason: correct spacing. additional info.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 10:09 pm   #116
dglcomp
Heptode

Use my Grandad's Technics SA-X900L music centre regularly, has the SL-J90 turntable and I have just acquired the SL-PJ25 CD player (that my Grandad thought was not worth it at a whole £100).
Amazingly all is still original (well not the stylus) inc. the tape belts which on recent inspection look fine.
Old 1st Jan 2019, 1:20 am   #117
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post

It's the incoming electricity supply to my house. I have no idea what's in the cream - coloured metal box (maybe a fuse?) It's been there since the house was built, in the late 1940s/early 1950s, and never been touched.

The fuse box was installed in 1980 when the house was rewired.
Hi Peter,
That's a very nice cut-out! Yes it will have a fuse carrier and a fuse (probably 60A) plus the neutral connection inside. Certainly counts as 'what vintage equipment did you use today'!

There must still be thousands of those Wylex fuse boxes in service- they are well built and rarely give any trouble. Mind you, in the modern world, it's very nice to have the benefit of RCD protection as well!

That's one cool cat by the way! I always feel I'm being scrutinised when I read one of your posts!

All the best
Nick
Old 1st Jan 2019, 2:06 pm   #118
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Hi Nick. I'm always really chuffed when you send me a message!

Yes, Bluebell is gorgeous, isn't she? Her mother and brother and sister are lovely too! I have to say that, otherwise they'll feel left out!

Did you read my post about the flicker-flame candle bulb on Other Vintage Household Electrical? I'm afraid I rambled on a bit about Christmas Day 1980!

Love and Best Wishes for 2019

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 1st Jan 2019 at 2:23 pm.
Old 1st Jan 2019, 11:11 pm   #119
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Re: post 56. I learned today that the Panasonic microwave in use daily at the in-laws was purchased new, just before Christmas 1985. Still working perfectly!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 11:29 am   #120
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I too have a Panasonic microwave oven (1986 vintage) that is in use almost every day. I have had it from new. It has rotary controls and still has its original interior bulb.
Closed Thread