UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2020, 2:24 pm   #1
dsan224
Triode

Default R1155 Modern Power Supply

Hello all.

I'm rather new to vintage radios having just got an R1155 and I'm keen to know if anyone happens to sell a modern power supply for the beast?

I know there is an option to build one, which might be the only option, but figured there was no harm in asking first.

Thanks again and look forward to learning as much as I can about this radio.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:00 pm   #2
vosperd
Hexode

Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

Hi.
As far as I know there is no-one selling ready made psus for the 1155 receiver.
If you are lucky you might find someone selling a home made one.
The best bet is to make your own and then you can be sure of its safety.
There is info on the web if you search for it. The usual psus have an audio amp for a loudspeaker as the 1155, as it stands, only has a headphone output.
Finding a suitable mains transformer might be a problem. You don't have to use valve rectifiers or valve audio output valve.
I'm sure you will find useful advice here when you decide on a course of action.
Don m5aky
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:30 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Welcome to the Forum dsan. Try the search box up top. There should be info "here there and everywhere". These were in great demand at one point but that has all subsided now. You will find all sorts of restorations carried out at different levels in the past but you should be aware that this set may not be an ideal "starter" item, eg the PSU is a bit more complex than is standard ie the negative line is "floating" away from the chassis, not directly connected, as part of the negative bias arrangement [I think I've got that right?] so the PSU may not be "plug in and play" and caution is needed. They are certainly a very interesting set though!

I hope that helps you.

Dave W
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 5:24 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Hi DSAN and another warm welcome from me.

There was a thread back in 2018 (one of many on this subject)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=152000

In that thread it was noted that Ed Dinning had made suitable power supplies for these Radios.

I am sure others may also be able to help if you don't fancy it yourself.

Personally I think its a great way into the hobby to make your own.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 5:39 pm   #5
ex seismic
Heptode

dsan224, has your set ever been repaired or restored? If not have a close look inside, the original rubber wiring insulation will probably have crumbled away. There are also a lot of probably leaky capacitors if they have not been changed. Fear not, there is a lot of information about these sets easily found by Mr. Google.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 8:52 am   #6
dsan224
Triode

Morning all

I did indeed lurk like mad on this site for a while after I got the unit. I'm mostly restoring it as my grandad was a wireless operator in the Polish 300 squadron, so the chance of getting one of these and restoring it knowing he used one, has been a dream for a very long time.

I have opened up the set and it does look like someone has replaced the wiring at some point, and the capacitors do look fresh and not leaky.

I did reach out to Ed and he's been amazing so far and yes the plan is to make my own so I know it is safe for me and my kids to use.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can about this from you all, thank you again for the warm welcome
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:29 am   #7
trh01uk
Octode

To help you in your search for a power unit, the requirements are:

1. LT for valve heaters: 6V DC or AC (6.3V AC is OK) at 4 amps. The current requirement can be reduced if the direction finding valves are no longer fitted, and its common to find sets with those valves missing.

2. HT: 210V DC at about 75mA - though the manuals state 110mA. I think the lower figure is again for sets with the DF valves missing, and is what I have measured in practice. Incidentally the 210V is not particularly critical, you can get way with about 20V either way - up or down from a nominal 210V.

3. The HT- needs to be isolated from ground or the chassis of the power supply. This is not a common requirement in typical supplies that are "general purpose", so you need to watch for this. This is because the HT- rail is actually at about -30V relative to the set chassis for biasing purposes.

And I would reiterate ex_seismic's comments about your set. If not restored, apply power with the utmost care! Preferably check for that perished rubber wiring before you put power on it. And even if you are lucky enough to have cotton covered wiring, there may well be leaky capacitors, etc, which will draw far too much HT current. Be prepared to switch off quickly and watch for smoke!

Richard
Old 25th Oct 2020, 10:49 am   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I got myself one of these sets earlier this year, it’s definitely worth having a good look at the chassis before trying to connect power, a lot of these have had extensive modifications, and could be a bit of a mess! It would be worth posting a few good pictures of above and below chassis.

I haven’t built a power supply for mine yet, I’ve been running it from a lash up consisting of a bench power supply for the heaters, and an isolating transformer feeding a variac to set the HT connected to a bridge rectifier and some caps, I don’t advise trying this though, better to have a proper enclosed dedicated power supply! I was lucky that whoever had the set before me had done the most minimal of modifications, just removing the DF valves, even going to the effort of insulating the top cap connectors and taping them to the chassis out of the way, and they fitted a really neat little 1 valve output stage on the underside of the chassis, which works well, and I might just keep it in place!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 25th Oct 2020, 1:30 pm   #9
dsan224
Triode

I've opened her up and the wiring is pretty modern. Still flexible and silicon isn't brittle. I've also ordered Peter Holthams book for the restoration
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201025_122413427.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	218854   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201025_122417496.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	218855   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201025_122425913 (1).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	218856   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201025_122454552.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	218857  
Old 25th Oct 2020, 1:43 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Silicon does not go brittle,it is the dreaded rubber wiring.

That book is superb.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 1:57 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That wiring looks more like PVC to me, the rubber stuff normally goes really dull. It looks a good set from those photos, you have the expensive VR102 (BL63) valve in the DF section, mines missing and so far I’ve not managed to get one! I see the tubular chassis mounted caps are missing, I wonder if someone replaced them with individual ones on that tag board at the end of the chassis?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 25th Oct 2020, 2:07 pm   #12
dsan224
Triode

Well that's a good thing then on the VR102. On the other missing mounted caps, how would I check that?
Old 25th Oct 2020, 2:32 pm   #13
ex seismic
Heptode

Looking promising. PVC wiring not rubber, and the troublesome tubular triple caps have gone. Without knowing when they were replaced there might still be leaky cap issues. Worth monitoring the HT current when you get that far.
Old 25th Oct 2020, 7:09 pm   #14
cnpope20
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsan224 View Post
Well that's a good thing then on the VR102. On the other missing mounted caps, how would I check that?
The replacement capacitors could be visible if you take the aluminium plate off the screened box in your first photo.

It's nice that you seem to have a well-restored example, with the DF section looking to be intact. I can highly recommend getting the DF going at some stage; it is fun to play around with it. The special two-needle "drunken men" left/right indicator meter can be found occasionally on Ebay.

Last edited by cnpope20; 25th Oct 2020 at 7:15 pm.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 11:14 am   #15
lesmw0sec
Octode

Had one of these from a skip years ago - rubber wiring, original caps and drastically 'improved' by someone ripping out the DF stuff and putting all sorts of junk in its place, with new holes drilled in the f/panel. No option but a complete chassis strip, hole filling & respray. At least the original coils & valves were all OK. After a rewire and adding a 6V6 + small LS where the DF stuff once was, it is now used for bedtime listening. Sentimental attachment, as my dad who was a W/Op in a Lancaster would have used one in anger.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 5:30 pm   #16
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'm awaiting the book too...but mine's in far worse condition and I've not dared investigate in detail! Good luck.
Old 30th Oct 2020, 1:36 pm   #17
dsan224
Triode

In the meantime, I picked this up for spares and I think I know why it wasn't working
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201030_121836974.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	219217   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201030_122835327.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	219218   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201030_122853984.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	219219   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201030_122905023.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	219220  
Old 5th Nov 2020, 11:33 pm   #18
cnpope20
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsan224 View Post
In the meantime, I picked this up for spares and I think I know why it wasn't working
You could be in luck with the DF, if that meter is still good. (And hopefully the zero-adjustment works for that left-hand pointer.)

This is the home made DF antenna that I built, shown in operation. It gives an amazingly sharp indication on the LR meter as the coil is rotated to point either side of the transmitting station.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r1155-df2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	219755  
Old 7th Nov 2020, 4:40 pm   #19
dsan224
Triode

wow that looks very cool!!!!
Old 7th Nov 2020, 9:14 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't think l've ever seen such an emphasis on the 1155 DF section before in an article or a thread [unless it's all been covered on You Tube?]. Very interesting guys! Many restorers have previously just followed the sixties approach [ie stripping out that section entirely] to gain more room. As dsan says though [post 6*], he has a special family motivation for getting the whole thing working.

During the period when these sets featured heavily on the Forum there was comment that they weren't very accessible for repair. Then it was pointed out that bombing missions often resulted in Aircraft only lasting a few weeks. It's a particularly resonant thought on this weekend and a reminder of the contribution made by Polish people in WW2. Many settled in Bury and their children were good friends of mine in School and at Bury Technical College!

There was also discussion of a more rare version of this receiver with a Marine Band, covering the Amateur Radio "Top Band" at 160 metres. I'd never seen one myself or in the govt surplus advert of the sixties. It was confirmed that they had been used in aircraft [and possibly patrol boats] around the British coast after the War. During this "expensive" time I advised a chap living near Kempton Park that his set was now worth more than he had thought. A few weeks later he contacted me to say "Do you want this set or not?" He wasn't interested in the money. It was his Uncle's, who had used them in the war as well. I must admit I had never seen anything quite as dangerous as the add-on PSU I but well it was years later.....different times back then! I haven't restored it but it is well looked after, which was all he wanted really and I had to press £40 on him. My uncle died two years ago and it was only a few months later that I discovered he had serviced Flying Boats in the Far East during National Service in the fifties, including [guess what] the R1155 radio setup! If only I'd known earlier .

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Nov 2020 at 9:21 pm.
Closed Thread