UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2008, 2:30 pm   #21
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: BVWS DVD: "Passport for Youth"

I've just received the following from Andrew Emmerson. He gives full permission for it to be quoted here.

I have now watched the film and given it careful consideration.

I hope I am not disappointing you but I do not think it is a pre-war production. It gives the look of having been filmed specifically for the purpose and everything in it strikes me as post-war. So there is no overriding reason why the off-screen footage would have been filmed pre-war.

Supporting this, the television repair class is presented completely normal without any pomp and circumstance. Had this film been made before the war, one would expect television servicing to be portrayed as something of a novelty, whereas here it is all matter of fact.

Again, the sacrificial telly looks quite battered, looking like a cast-off, and I feel an LCC evening class would not have had access to a telly before the war.

There are no giveaway phrases that talk of coming hostilities but there is a real clincher when the narrator (an early Frank Phillips I think) makes an off-hand topical comment on the fuel crisis, which makes it 1947 for definite.

1947 in television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "The year 1947 in television involved some significant events. ... BBC television service in the UK is temporarily suspended due to a national fuel crisis."

By 1947 new tellies were being made and it is quite likely that a pre-war 5" set would have little 'prestige' value.

So, I offer this as a thoughtful contribution to the truth but am happy to have these notions shot to pieces!

Cheers and all the best for 2008,

Andy.

Last edited by Panrock; 4th Jan 2008 at 2:41 pm.
Old 5th Jan 2008, 12:00 am   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

That's interesting. It all seems logical and tends to support what we have already been thinking. Thanks Steve (and Andy).

I guess the next thing is to figure out what the TV programme could be and who the people shown are. Knowing the year with reasonable certainty could help with that.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jan 2008, 8:48 pm   #23
terry123
Pentode

Just some further thoughts and dates on the film, kindly supplied by Tony Claydon and David Mardon of the Robert Farnon Society. The library pieces were not officially issued by the publishers until March/April 1947. Tony has been able to identify all the pieces including composers and cat numbers, with the exception of the dance band style pieces at the moment. We will publish this and all the bits and pieces from the various messages posted on this thread in an edition of the BVWS Bulletin (probably summer issue.)

Once again, thanks for all of your suggestions and research.

regards
Terry Martini BVWS Committee
Closed Thread