UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:53 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default F.J. Camm

I did not know too much about F.J. Camm until today. I have been reading lots of his magazines since I was a kid.

As usual every morning I look at what has been added to

www.americanradiohistory.com

Lately there have been some uploads to the site entitled "Practical Mechanics" with a comment from the site's owner that states, "it's fun to read and is a wealth of information"

I had a look at a few issues and was amazed at just how much information these magazines did have. I pride myself on reading and trying to understand as much of science and physics as I can, but when I look at the hundreds of articles, designs, plans and drawings I pale into insignificance. That man must have worked 23 hours a day to produce at the same time so many magazines and articles. Yes I understand he would have had help, but still I have to place him in the "Genius" category for ideas and information.

Is there anybody today that comes anywhere even close??

Yet the Wikipedia doesnt really say much!!.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_James_Camm.

I did learn something today!!

Joe
Old 27th Aug 2019, 9:10 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: F.J. Camm

It ran in the family.

Have you looked at what his brother Sydney got up to?

David
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:26 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That late Gordon G Cullingham, honorary Archivist of the Royal Borough of Windsor researched F. J. Camm and his brother Sir Sydney Camm, (two years Fred's senior), designer of the Hawker Hurricane aeroplane. Oddly, regarding the 'Battle of Britain', the 'plane so often mentioned is the Spitfire, yet it was the Hurricane which inflicted 60% of the Luftwaffe losses and was involved in all major conflicts of WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane

in 1996 Gordon Cullingham wrote a splendid book 'F. J. Camm - The Practical Man, 1895 - 1959'. It was a limited edition of only 63 books. I was fortunate to get my order in right away and my copy was No 3. It's long since out of print but copies do appear for sale from time to time, sometimes at a high price:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...-g-cullingham/

I can highly recommend the book.

F.J. was one of twelve children who grew up in a cramped 'two up - two down' terraced house in Alma Rd Windsor. He became an author when still at school. In 1919, aged 24, (the year of his marriage) with his father George, he designed and marketed the 'Cambro' Cycle Car. Two horse power, top speed 20MPH, 100 MPG! Price, 79 Guineas.

In 1937, he designed a three wheel car, published in Practical Mechanics, which could be built for £20.00 to be built by amateur constructors avoiding turning, and brazing. Later in 1937, he published an upgraded four wheeled version of the 'Midget Car'.

Practical Wireless, (affectionally dubbed 'Camm's Comic') of which he was editor from 1932 to the time of his death in 1959, was one of scores of magazines in which he was involved. A few of his other titles were:

Practical Mechanics
Practical Television
The Cyclist
Practical Householder
Practical Home Money Maker
Practical Motorist

He also contributed to other periodicals such as:

Flight
Models, Railways and Locomotion
Everyday Science
The Boys' Own Paper
Hobbies Journal and Annuals
Austin Magazine
Watchmaker and Jeweller.

He and his brother Sir Sydney, (who only has one publication to his name) really were pioneers who were involved in the formative years of powered flight, motor cars, motor bikes and radio. Examples of F.J's books and journals are held in the Ste Library in Sydney, N.S.W, and in Chicago. The British Library lists over 100 of his publications, which cover several pages of its catalogue.

Hope that's of interest.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:45 am   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

He seemed to edit everything when I was a kid. One book I particularly poured over was 'Sixty tested wireless circuits' it was my constant reference book.

Obviously a man with wide interests. He would still have been alive then.

Peter
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:42 am   #5
OldTechFan96
Octode

Was F.J. Camm related to a Richard Camm? I thought I recognised the name!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2395.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	188974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	188975  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 1:12 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
That late Gordon G Cullingham, honorary Archivist of the Royal Borough of Windsor researched F. J. Camm and his brother Sir Sydney Camm, (two years Fred's senior), designer of the Hawker Hurricane aeroplane...

in 1996 Gordon Cullingham wrote a splendid book 'F. J. Camm - The Practical Man, 1895 - 1959'. It was a limited edition of only 63 books. I was fortunate to get my order in right away and my copy was No 3. It's long since out of print but copies do appear for sale from time to time, sometimes at a high price:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...-g-cullingham/

I can highly recommend the book.
So can I. Well worth doing a Google search (I got my new copy, at cost price, well after the print run had ended).

Alma Road in Windsor has a blue plaque (on account of Sydney rather than FJ being brought up there).

I'd love a Cambro cyclecar, I have seen a photo of one!
Old 27th Aug 2019, 1:34 pm   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

I've still got my copy of his 'Practical Wireless Encyclopedia' which I received as a present in 1952, a few years ago I bought his 'Dictionary of Metals and Alloys' 2nd edition 1941 which must list almost every alloy ever made, 254 pages starting with 'Abyssinian gold' and ending with 'Zisium', at a rough guess there must be at least 1000 different entries, I can still pick both books up and read them with interest.

John
Old 27th Aug 2019, 7:30 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, did he not also contribute to the "Luton Minor" aircraft design in Practical Mechanics ?

It used a VW aircooled engine ans reputed to be a bit "twitchy" to fly.

Ed
Old 27th Aug 2019, 9:37 pm   #9
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
I've still got my copy of his 'Practical Wireless Encyclopedia' which I received as a present in 1952, a few years ago I bought his 'Dictionary of Metals and Alloys' 2nd edition 1941 which must list almost every alloy ever made, 254 pages starting with 'Abyssinian gold' and ending with 'Zisium', at a rough guess there must be at least 1000 different entries, I can still pick both books up and read them with interest.

John
I have in front of me "Newnes Wireless Constructors Encyclopaedia" (spelled correctly with the joined ae) by F.J.Camm
It is fascinating to dip into, the section on television is especially fascinating, mechanical scanning of course....

Unfortunately there is no date of publication but in the introduction it talks about the number of listeners increasing year by year since 1922.

Peter
Old 10th Sep 2019, 6:32 pm   #10
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Thanks for sharing that link lots of amazing articles and bedtime reading.

Thanks Regards Chris
Old 11th Sep 2019, 6:06 pm   #11
John_BS
Octode

You can download a scan here:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet....19564/page/n7

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post

John
Closed Thread