UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2019, 5:24 pm   #1
gkaczowka
Diode

Default Any Schematics of Gerry Wells' Reproduction AD65s?

I am a happy owner of one of Gerry Well's Repro AD65s.

I was hoping that someone might have a schematic or more knowledge on these sets. I have number 16. Photos of my set can be seen at http://www.oldradios.com/radios/fore...d/GW_RAD65.htm

I saw an old thread discussing these sets, and the information provided in YoungManGW's blog, and learned a lot.

My radio is quite insensitive, and I was hoping someone may have had copies of the wiring diagrams for these early versions. I am not even sure if the proper tubes/valves are in the set.

Thank you for any info you may offer.

George
------------------
George Kaczowka ("K" and mumble a bit)
web: oldradios.com
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:22 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Any Schematics of Gerry Wells' Reproduction AD65s?

This youngmans web site you mention suggests that the early ones were exact copies of the original:
http://ymgw.blogspot.com/2015/05/wells-coated-ekco.html

"The Wells copies are proper valve sets, made in batches of 15. The first six sets, made in 1993, were exact copies of the original, including the chassis. Some later sets were jointly made by Gerry, Eileen Laffey and Tina Sandell, of the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum, Dulwich. Some were fitted with a solid state FM front end by Benito di Gravio, also of the museum. A final batch, of 17 sets, with the correct chassis but an added FM head, was made in 2006 by Wells, Ian Johnson, and di Gravio."

Does yours have FM?

Peter
Old 5th Aug 2019, 10:00 pm   #3
gkaczowka
Diode

Default Re: Any Schematics of Gerry Wells' Reproduction AD65s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
This youngmans web site you mention suggests that the early ones were exact copies of the original
[...]

Does yours have FM?

Peter
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the post!

No FM in the set. It has AM (Broadcast) and Long Wave. It was radio #16 from October of 1996. In an old (2015) post on this forum, ianj said the following:

Just to add ; the first six were exact copies, chassis as well-with no F.M. head. Middle batch ones were made by Gerry, Eileen and Tina and used a modified chassis and an alternative chassis with various types of speaker; Ben made the FM heads. The final batch ( made by Gerry , me, and Ben ) were made in 2006 and totaled 17. These had the correct type chassis with FM heads once again.

I was not sure if the "first six" meant radios or batches were exact copies. I had guessed that my set was a middle batch one.

My chassis has what I assume is a set of coils in a metal case with multiple connecions (not the IFs) that looks to be canned oscillator coils, perhaps from military surplus?

The tubes/valves in my set are: 6V6, EBC33, 6SG7, and 6K8. The tubes were obviousely used, as one of them has its number scratched into its base.

I have photos of the chassis in the link in my original post. Just hoping that there may be some additional information on the set. I will do a comparison with the original AD65 schematic as well. I have one of them as well, so I can do some visual comparison.

George
Closed Thread