UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2019, 3:30 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Hacker Herald RP10 mouldy Elkomolds

I'm starting on a late RP10, it powers up and tunes in to stations but is a bit quiet, possibly related to the broken ferrite rod and loose coil former on it or maybe this white stuff coming out of the top of the caps... Anybody recognise this feature? Definite replace or safely ignore? Also pictured is a plug which was floating about inside, seems to fit the earphone socket, does that look like the one supplied with the radio?

Meanwhile I'll work on the delaminating plywood on the back cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capgunk.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	187793  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 3:42 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Herald RP10 mouldy Elkomolds

Yes, I would definitely replace the Electrolytics, likely to be faulty even without the white stuff coming out. The plug looks like a phono plug so not suitable for the earphone socket.
Steve.
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 5:06 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

There's no earphone socket - the plug as seen would originally have been supplied taped inside the set, and is the right one for the audio output socket provided for tape recording etc.. As I recall its level is independent of the volume control setting. The socket on the other side of the set is for a standard car aerial plug.

Paul
Old 4th Aug 2019, 12:06 am   #4
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Thanks Paul and Steve. Maybe the plug won't be any use to me but it's great that it's likely to be original after 55+ years. I'm going to assume the stuff on the caps is just dielectric coming out and I'll treat them with suspicion.

I superglued the ferrite rod and put the coil former back where it used to be according to the old tape marks but Radio 4 is still quiet. Surprised to see how the batteries are configured on this model, like positive and negative rails, +ve is drawing 11mA at 0 volume while the -ve draws 40mA - higher than expected so I'll look into that side of it tomorrow.

Andrew
Old 4th Aug 2019, 6:53 am   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Don't throw the plug away, if it is the long reach one they are hard to come by.

Mike
Old 5th Aug 2019, 3:49 pm   #6
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Reader, I tweaked it. My new favourite radio now belts out superb sound from BBC Radios 4, 5 and Scotland. I checked the coil slugs for wax and they moved freely so I thought maybe these had been got at - I received this radio as part of a job lot and this was the only one with evidence of tampering in that the chassis was loose with the screws floating around along with the audio plug. I'll attempt a more thorough alignment in future (Advance E2 in the post).

The -9V rail is still drawing high current though. I'll start with the most mouldy-looking cap, C34, it might be one of these suspect devices conducting DC I suppose, the most obvious straw to clutch at anyway.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 4:20 pm   #7
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Also, the audio can't be turned right down, at 0 volume it is still audible.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 6:42 pm   #8
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Replaced the two worst electrolytic offenders but they didn't have any measurable faults.

Adjusted RV2 & RV3 (see before & after photos) as per service manual, instead of 3mA I was getting about 40mA on the RV2 link and this needed moving from near the middle to near one end. Now the currents being drawn from the batteries are near spec at 13.7mA for -9V and 9.7mA for +9V, should be 12 - 14mA on each but I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Thanks for reading.

Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV2RV3B4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	187897   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV2RV3after.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	187898   Click image for larger version

Name:	RP10.jpg