UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2008, 9:20 pm   #1
ianj
Heptode

Smile Harpenden-what Did You Buy??

Hi all,

I couldnt make Harpenden this time around, so whats the news...any rareties?? Who bought what? ianj
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 1:23 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Harpenden-what Did You Buy??

I didnt make it either
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 8:55 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tried to resist, but extravagance won over!
I spent a fiver on an old Megger that looks like this one - search about halfway down the page for "Jack Davidson".
I guessed early thirties, but it appears it's much older. Should be fun to restore.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 9:32 am   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi all.

I didn't get anything too interesting but I was after a Cossor Melody Maker which I got, some Radio and TV servicing books (the red ones!) and a new AVO 8 to replace my old one that got smashed to smitherines.

I had a Rediffusion Mk4 telly to deliver to Alan (Alan's Anitas) which he collected and it was good to meet a couple of fellow forum members especially Steve P who's given me so much advice over the course of time with my tellies.

All the very best and next time I'll try to remember my Avatar badge which I forgot yet again. It would probably help me meet a few more folks from off here...or help people avoid me

Cheers for now,
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:32 am   #5
newlite4
Octode

I bought the Philco 444 which was towards the end of the auction. It can only be described as being in "as new" condition. It is a lovely set, an example of which I have been meaning to obtain for many years.
Neil
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 11:48 am   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

I sold a couple of radios on the bring-and-buy, and didn't buy anything at all, so arrived home feeling very virtuous.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 2:34 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I woz at Harpenden. I didn't buy that much this time, a near mint Roberts RIC2 in mustard yellow for £5 at the B & B table and in the auction a box full of new TV/speaker wall brackets for £5, a 1948 Murphy A124 for £20 and a very pretty 1955 Radio Rentals 216 for £32. I think one could describe both valve sets as minimalist in design, but both are designed for ease of maintenance.... which is just as well. I haven't yet heard the Murphy A124 working, a 3 valve plus rectifier superhet built from 3 slabs of wood and a meccano set, as I haven't yet set up an aerial wire long enough I was also given a Roberts R707 and R600 for spares/repair.

It was good to see a few folk from the forum, including Mike Phelan who was looking well.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harpenden_March_2008_Muphy-A124.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	15609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harpenden_March_2008 _RR-216.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	15610  
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 6:46 pm   #8
Alex
Retired Dormant Member

"so whats the news...any rareties?? "
There sure was 2 black 163's. 2 Mk1123 spy sets, (so called) Probably SAS. Rare Hacker. Some great early TV's, were any pre war?
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 7:39 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I went completely over the top and had to be restrained from buying items. I bought a very nice GEC BT1091B 9" telly and a very clean PYE 75B portable from 1946 with octal valves. I very much like these models. I have yet to find a portable using the 2v OCTAL series valves, The red Mullard 'K' series.
The GEC is in very original condition but its FULL of wax condensers. First switch on reveals no line drive but the circuit is very simple using an octal L63 triode. This will be fun..I hope...
Great to meet up with so many Forum members, very much enjoyed it. John.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 9:12 pm   #10
SWB 18
Pentode

Had a good day out, meeting up with friends old & new.

I didn't buy anything in the auction, but in the side room found some new Roberts R707 telescopic aerials for £2, a bag of AF127 transistors, a manual for the Ferrograph RTS 2, a volume of Newnes RATS that I was missing, one of the larger (10Amp?) versions of the 2 pin mains connector used on a few earlier Ekco tv sets and a few new valves.

Well worth getting up very early for, as usual.

Phil.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 9:57 pm   #11
tis your junk
Pentode

I attended for the first time, I didn't buy anything at the auction but did buy a tidy little BUSH DAC80 from a very nice man who had a "pile" of them on a stall in the middle of the side hall.

Much to my surprise when I returned home, rather than having the usual "what junk have you got now" my pre teen son took and instant shine to it! Mainly because of its looks and the "deep" sound and now enjoys listening to and polishing it.

In the brief chat I had with the seller he told me he was selling up as he needed to "slimming down", if anyone knows who I'm talking about could they let him know that his radio is now being appreciated by a new generation.

TYJ
Old 5th Mar 2008, 8:15 am   #12
sortedradio
Heptode

Smile Re: Harpenden-what Did You Buy??

It was my first BVWS event as I have only just joined, but hopefully will be the first of many! I bought a Bush VHF80 and a BUSH VHF80C, I am not sure of the difference other than cabinet colour, both sets are working. I also bought an Osram Music Magnet which I will have a look at at the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and wish I had joined the BVWS earlier. Thanks to all the organisers.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 10:07 am   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
I bought a Bush VHF80 and a BUSH VHF80C, I am not sure of the difference other than cabinet colour....
That is the main difference, plus I think the tape output sockets.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread