UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 11:40 am   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Building an "in situ" rechargeable battery pack

I have got it into my head that I would like to create a Lithium battery pack to power my Pye Slim Six and perhaps other devices.

I have managed to frighten myself with potential exploding batteries, overcharging and over discharging, but still I would like to have a go – I know include a fuse!

I have so far purchased 3x 18650’s , 10 usb charging modules TP4056A based 1 x2 cell protection board (D514- KGA711P and 20CB L62 ICs) based, adjustable voltage regulator and 5 battery holders

I know I can simply create a charger and then put the cells into holder with the control board but this is not ideally what I would like to do, I would like to fit the cells (sympathetically) into the radio and using a trailing USB lead be able to charge the cells in situ from a phone charger.

I will also confess I would like to fit a Bluetooth module as well, hence the need for ongoing rechargeable power.

Are there any well informed and knowledgeable people who lead this confused and bewildered soul through an understandable route to a solution?

Many thanks in anticipation

Philip
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:38 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Building an "in situ" rechargeable battery pack

I have been looking for a two cell charger for a battery I extracted from a contraption I dragged out of a pond that has at least four chopper regulators on the board.
I have identified a couple of them as normal chopper regulators.
The challenge is to find the one that charges the 7.4 volt Li battery. This was done by looking the SMD part numbers up and looking at the data sheets and checking the choke connections and values for the normal regulators. I then checked the output voltages with the board powered to confirm the identity was correct for the chips that are regular chopper regulators.
The battery has 4 wires and an internet search just leads to a special expensive charger however when the board is connected to power of the correct voltage for the entire unit it charges the battery up.

I have a job waiting for it and will be following this thread to see if we can come up with a 4 wire charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	180292  
Closed Thread