UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2019, 1:50 am   #1
IsquaredR
Tetrode

Default DaPetz Screwdriver Opinions Sought

I find myself in need of replacing my "jewelers' " screwdrivers which have become worn and unserviceable. Unfortunately my "go to" brands (Craftsman and Xcelite) have become bitter disappointments since they're now unfortunately made cheaply in Asia. There is a set of 16 screwdrivers that interests me. It includes some small screw nutdrivers offered by the Dapetz company. I have never heard of this company and wonder if any of the thread members have any experience with their screwdrivers? Are they of decent quality? Thanks for your help. Ernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	179837  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 5:51 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: DaPetz Screwdriver Opinions Sought

I've never heard of that company.

Those screwdrivers _look_ like the cheap sets in blue/transparent boxes that the likes of Tandy/Radio Shack sold. If they are then in my experience they are terrible.

For watchmaker's screwdrivers (just flat blade screwdrivers) I bought a set of Bergeon ones. You can even get spare blades for them. Not cheap (in fact make sure you are sitting down when you see the prices) but I feel they are very good quality
Old 13th Mar 2019, 9:01 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've bought some individual Wiha "Picofinish" ones recently and have been very pleased.

In spite of what Tony says, the cheap ones can occasionally be very good too though. I'm still using a set of 6 that I bought from Rapid electronics for under £1 in about 1990, and they're still fine.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:24 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

I had a set of Facom Micro-Tech, sadly gone missing. Pricey but worth it.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:36 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn’t touch cheap ones. They do more damage than good. I’ve had good experience with Wera 05073675001 kit. Added a 1/4” nut driver to this and that’s it.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:58 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

They are much of a muchness.
Look out for sets in places like Aldi/Lidl.
The ones with brass handles are best if you can find them.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 2:03 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I've always found CK to be a good brand that are better than the el cheapo ones without going to the (admittedly excellent) heights of Wera and Facom. However, until one breaks or damages a screw you don't know if they are in fact any better as the OP suggests.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 6:28 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

I used to like Sears tools when I had occasion to work in the USA some time ago. It's more about precision and careful use than brute force with such small tools.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 7:35 pm   #9
Sinewave
Octode

I've got a nice set made by Wera.
Old 14th Mar 2019, 3:24 pm   #10
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Ernie,

These look very similar to a 16-piece set that I bought from Maplin a couple of years or so ago. They were on offer for not very much, I recall. There are four cross-heads (00, 0, 1 & 2), three Allen-keys (1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm), three hexagon spinners (3.0, 4.0 & 5.0mm), six flat-blade screwdrivers (1.0, 1.4, 2.0, 2.4, 3.0, 3.5mm) and a short tommy bar for use with the Allen-keys and hexagon spinners. I haven't had any problems with them, but I don't think they are finest quality. I also have two sets of CK watchmaker's screwdrivers which I think are very good and I have reground some when they became worn.

It is sometimes said that a good workman never blames his tools. My father was a cabinet-maker and added a little more to that. He said that the good workman always buys the best tools he can afford, treats them well and keeps them in good condition - all very true. I apologise to anyone who thinks I'm being sexist about workmen, but that isn't my intention.

Colin.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 9:27 pm   #11
avocollector
Heptode

I've had an identical set like that for years (as described by Colin above) and they've been fine but they were el cheapo - in the local equivalent of Woolies if I recall correctly for under $20 NZ
Closed Thread