UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2019, 1:13 pm   #21
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden Sunday March 3rd

I bought a few treasures home from the auction, there was some good stuff in there, it was nice to see Harpenden busy once again.

Things were a bit different this time, with the extra van load of items that needed to be carried in, lotted into the system and then moved to the display tables, we had our work cut out and it didn't end there either!

Mike sure made us work for our breakfast the way he was rattling through the lots towards the end!

A big thanks to everyone involved in this event that makes it possible, the short notice catering was nothing short of incredible given the fact that there was basically only one person doing all the food!
I think that the thanks needs to be extended to you also, the buyers as without all of you there would be no event!

All in all, a grand day out!!

Cheers
Old 4th Mar 2019, 10:30 pm   #22
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
We had our work cut out and it didn't end there either!

Mike sure made us work for our breakfast the way he was rattling through the lots towards the end!
Hi Lee,
Yes it was very entertaining seeing the three of you darting about on stage desperately trying to find the lots before Mike brought the hammer down! I'm sure some lots were disposed of in less then 5 seconds! I noticed your cunning plan though, bringing the next two lots to the table together gave you a few seconds of breathing space!

Prices of most stuff were very modest I thought- most things went for between £5 to £20.

Many thanks to everyone involved in the event- I can only imagine the effort involved in getting all the auction stuff moved and set up.

All the best
Nick
Old 4th Mar 2019, 11:54 pm   #23
audiomagpie
Heptode

I'm the wrong age and size now for darting about! I think someone must have put a drop of something in our esteemed auctioneers tea, the speed he was going at....

Did anyone on here buy lot 89, the HRO receiver? If so, you left the box of coils and PSU behind - I have them here.

It was a great day, thank you everyone for your attendance, help and support!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 5th Mar 2019, 6:56 pm   #24
Sean Williams
Dekatron

This was my first experience of a BVWS auction - Well, excluding a very embarrasing appearance as a porter over 15 years ago

I appreciate the speed that Mike went through the lots, and equally appreciate the effort that the portering team managed.

I tend to stick a bid in to help things along when there are no bids at all, in the hope that someone outbids me a slight backfire on me in this case - I have ended up with a rather incomplete military radio.... it will yield some useful parts though, and is well worth the hammer price I paid.

I also managed to get the kit television (unfinished) and a scruffy but restorable RA17.

I was amazed at the very low prices some stunning looking sets made, if I had more space (and SWMBO hadn't banned all woodies from the house) I could have come home with a car load I had to resist hard, bidding on the pop up Ekco TV 0 lovely looking set!

My profound thanks to all involved - it's a lot of work for a very few people