UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2017, 2:15 pm   #21
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Bush DAB90A Project Radio

That looks fantastic!! The level of detail employed here is phenomenal, I love the back!
Old 13th Dec 2017, 2:32 pm   #22
Andrew2
Nonode

Phwoar! That really is lovely, such fine engineering. Knock my stuff into a cocked hat!
Old 13th Dec 2017, 3:56 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Very nice job, especially the internal metalwork.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 4:54 pm   #24
chriswood1900
Octode

Lovely job, and a worthwhile reuse of an old cabinet, as a saving grace from the work of Satan does it do FM as well?
Chris
Old 13th Dec 2017, 5:43 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Deeply fascinating, lovely construction/engineering and a good example of what a friend calls a "Frankenradio".

My only niggle is the choice of colour for the cabinet: my parents' house had the downstairs bathroom-suite in just that colour of blue back in the 1960s!
Old 13th Dec 2017, 7:08 pm   #26
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Pure brilliance.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 8:46 pm   #27
Stuart R
Heptode

Very impressive. Not only good looking from the outside, but a high standard of work inside. The rear panel is a work of art.

I approve!

SR
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:39 pm   #28
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

AMAZING! I have several spare empty DAC90A cabinets if you want to build another one for me.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 11:00 pm   #29
julie_m
Dekatron

That's stunning!

If you're going to break the rules, you may as well break 'em good and hard, I say.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 4:14 pm   #30
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Amazing, well done!
If I understand correctly you've used a different LCD, do they all have a common interface?
As far as I'm aware, all these parallel LCD's do have a common interface, & can be wired 4-bit (in my case) or 8-bit. The position of the connector varies between units.

The I2C are totally different if memory serves, they're more RS232 ... ideal for Raspberry Pi(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Yes, the back panel is particularly superb and indicative of the no-compromise approach you've shown throughout.
Good job you called it a DAB90a, if you'd left it as DAB90 you'd have needed a bit missing and a singe mark...
Had it been a DAC90, now that would be authenticity, lopping the corner off & heating to discolouration ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Lovely job, and a worthwhile reuse of an old cabinet, as a saving grace from the work of Satan does it do FM as well?
Chris
Thank you for your kind words, sadly though, it's DAB only.

As a way of redeeming myself, I hope to upload my Philco 444 in the 'success stories' area ... (which isn't FM either ) This was a challenge & I think it wears its age with pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
AMAZING! I have several spare empty DAC90A cabinets if you want to build another one for me.
I always swore I'd never make another, that said, 2 back panels were made at the time, one is in use ... the other ...

I don't have any drawings of the chassis/metal working or electronics, it's all in my fuzzy blonde head, possibly not the best place to keep it & in 20 years time, a trader sheet will come in handy ...!
Old 14th Dec 2017, 4:29 pm   #31
mark2collection
Hexode

Thank you all for your kind words & compliments, I was hoping this set would turn out 'ok' & would be something eye-catching, useful & possibly an item the family could treasure.

It has actually turned out an awful lot better than anticipated, took a while, & I took a lot of ribbing from family & colleagues ('haven't you finished that yet(?)')... but it was worth it ...
Old 14th Dec 2017, 6:13 pm   #32
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That has to be the best DAB upgrade to any vintage set I've ever seen! The chassis is a thing of beauty, and I like the choice of cabinet colour. I've got a great big empty cabinet from an Ekco PB something or other here, I was hoping to find a complete chassis for it one day, maybe I should turn it into a DAB/ internet streaming Bluetooth media centre or something!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 14th Dec 2017, 10:11 pm   #33
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
If I understand correctly you've used a different LCD, do they all have a common interface?
All the ones I have encountered certainly did. They had an LCD controller in a square surface-mount package with leads on all 4 sides. The interface consists of 8 data lines (with the ability to use just 4 of them), an address line (which selects whether you are talking to the display register or the control register), read/write and a strobe. These, power and ground and an input for a contrast control pot (some modules will give a perfectly readable display with this pin left unconnected, but do not rely on this behaviour) are brought out to a row of 14 pads on the PCB. There may be additional connections for LED backlighting. Compact units also exist with a two-row header for a ribbon cable, but this carries the same electrical signals and even the pin order within the ribbon cable comes out the same as the larger modules' single row.

Data is sent to the display register as ASCII character codes, either 8 or 4 bits at a time. The control register accepts instructions for various functions (reset, position select, user-defined characters .....) The instruction to select 4- or 8-bit operation can be sent using only a 4-bit connection.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 9:39 am   #34
wd40addict
Octode

Thanks for the display interface information! It's a long time since I played with these.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 10:00 am   #35
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Daft, but brilliant! My respects...
Closed Thread