UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2017, 11:01 am   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Insulation Versus Insulators

Need to get my 160M aerial up and to get the 264 feet "V" dipole going it will go through the odd branch of trees.

Now as I don't climb ladders etc ,will the fact the wire used is insulated be good enough without too much of a loss? There will of course be pot insulators at the extreme ends.

Thank you

David
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 11:19 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Insulation Versus Insulators

The nearer the centre, the lower the voltage. PTFE or Polythene insulation might be better than PVC but I would think it'll be fine. Is top band still limited to 10/26 watts?

What about a long pole lopper to remove the problem?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 12:01 pm   #3
Station X

You might have problems feeding the wire through the branches, especially if they have leaves on them.

I have successfully hurled half bricks attached to string over the top of trees and then used the string to pull the wire over.

ISTR that to get a wire through branches I climbed the tree and pushed some sweep's rods through the branches, attached the wire to them, pulled it in and pushed it out the other side............

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 12:03 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you for you thoughts.160M I believe is 400W SSB except the bit where I read the RSGB news and it is 10W 1.990Khz

Graham,I don't have a high enough point at the end of the garden to get over the trees that are in the way.Would saw them down (Apple) but they are nice in Summer and might give a bit of privacy as planning has gone through for 2 5 bedroom houses next to us.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 1:00 pm   #5
G8BBZ
Pentode

Hi All,
I would second Herald1360 thought - provided the centre part of the dipole where the current is highest is in the clear, the effect of a few branches is probably acceptable. There will be a certain amount of power absorption, particularly in summer when the sap is up, and you may find that the antenna tuning will change slightly from summer to winter, particularly if there are branches close to the ends of the diploe where the impedance is highest.
PTFE or Polythene insulation would certainly be more durable than PVC - if you can find a suitable wire. As this is Top Band and a very long dipole, the weight of the wire may be significant. Obviously the wire has to be strong enough to withstand a bit of a battering where it passes through the trees, otherwiseyour choice would be the thinnest wire that would stand the tension. If you will use PVC, it is probably best to avoid black as this is often PVC coloured by loading it with Carbon black - which is conductive.
Lucky you to have a garden which will accomodate a full-size dipole on Top Band!
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 1:41 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thanks Peter, yes the centre will be on the house gable in the clear. It won't be black as I have a roll of yellow multi stranded copper wire.

If I avoid the trees then it would be a "sloper" heading towards the ground also as it is a V then I won't get as much width at the far end.

Loppers sound a possible solution.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 2:53 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Remember that insulation adds dead-weight - which can be enough to cause undesirable stretching of long antenna spans.

I was fortunate enough to obtain, some years back, some ex-Military kevlar-cored insulated antenna wire at a rather good price compared with what the taxpayer was originally charged by RACAL: this stuff is *tough* - like about 140Kg breaking-strain - and a 200-foot single span of it at my "stealth" location has survived without obvious damage for several years.

As to feeding it through/over trees - someone I know used a bow&arrow to fire a length of thin nylon monofilament fishing-line over a tree - they used this to haul aloft a thicker length of fishing-line which then pulled the actual antenna-wire up.

I guess these days a cheap "drone" would be an alternative?
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 2:57 pm   #8
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I was fortunate enough to obtain, some years back, some ex-Military kevlar-cored insulated antenna wire at a rather good price compared with what the taxpayer was originally charged by RACAL: this stuff is *tough* - like about 140Kg breaking-strain - and a 200-foot single span of it at my "stealth" location has survived without obvious damage for several years.
I too bought quite a lot of that Kevlar wire, new boxed and unopened. As you say it's very strong. One end of my aerial used to be supported by a tree which swayed in the wind. It was always the steel cored washing line running from the end insulator to the tree which broke. Never the Kevlar.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 4:06 pm   #9

The core out of RG213? Or just give it a go with 'ordinary' wire, if the VSWR doesn't change that much dry to wet you are putting out a good signal. Also it's the current (as in amps) that radiate so a bit of high voltage (the ends) leakage isn't very detrimental.

Just stick some up, worst case you have a leader ready for posher wire!

I have most of a 500m (well it is big, 500m is a guess) reel of submarine grade wire, it is about 1/8th of an inch diameter. You are more than welcome to it, bloomin' heavy but I can't throw it out, much too useful (for someone). If you want it I can take it to work, weigh it and then you can send a pickup label. Drop me a PM.

Closed Thread