UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:10 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default What was this for?

Hello
I was at my grandad's today, and we went for a walk in the garden, and on the wall next to a door, there was this (pictured below), and I would like to know what it is, so, if anyone could help me, that would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_140712.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	179299  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:28 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: What was this for?

I'm wondering if it could be some sort of hookup for a deaf-aid or an audio-description?

I remember a few decades back in some stately-homes/gardens etc. you could hire a headset and at various significant places there were sockets you could plug the headset in and hear an audio-description of that particular location.

Or maybe it's a slot for some kind of pass-key that allows specified people to open the door?
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:48 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The icon seems to suggest it's for some sort of electronic key, that would be touched against the "socket" in the middle to release the lock.

So there's probably something very interesting behind that door, and has been for some time!
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:50 pm   #4
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'm wondering if it could be some sort of hookup for a deaf-aid or an audio-description?

I remember a few decades back in some stately-homes/gardens etc. you could hire a headset and at various significant places there were sockets you could plug the headset in and hear an audio-description of that particular location.

Or maybe it's a slot for some kind of pass-key that allows specified people to open the door?
Judging by the "key" symbol above, it was probably an access key that was put in at the same time the RFID reader was put in about 10 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
The icon seems to suggest it's for some sort of electronic key, that would be touched against the "socket" in the middle to release the lock.

So there's probably something very interesting behind that door, and has been for some time!
There really isn't anything interesting behind that door because it just leads inside the flat complex
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:58 pm   #5
superdirto
Triode

security patrol check point ?
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 9:28 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom williams View Post
Judging by the "key" symbol above, it was probably an access key that was put in at the same time the RFID reader was put in about 10 years ago?
So what does the RFID system do, open a powered door? Release a magnetic lock?
Old 4th Mar 2019, 6:29 pm   #7
duncanlowe
Nonode

I reckon superdirto is probably right. It means a security guard touches the pad, and it records that he visited there (as opposed to snoozing somewhere). I couldn't find one just the same. Many of them use the Dallas transponder discs.
Old 5th Mar 2019, 8:15 pm   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Something like this iButton probe maybe?
https://www.distrelec.ch/en/ibutton-...92t/p/17386230
Old 6th Mar 2019, 10:35 am   #9
chriswood1900
Octode

My vote is with post #5 a security check point, put in so that as the guard does his round he has to touch in at various points round a large site rather than having a sleep in their hut!
Old 10th Mar 2019, 8:15 pm   #10
Tom williams
Pentode

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are for the warden in the complex to open the said door and gain access into the complex from the stairs, although this is the only example of the "device" in the entire building
Closed Thread