UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2019, 9:53 pm   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Genalex (Smiths?) clock dismantling

Hi All,

I've recently picked up a large mains-powered electric clock branded 'Genalex'. Information elsewhere would suggest that it was actually manufactured by Smiths under this brand name, and the mechanism looks similar to a smaller Smiths clock I have.

The clock runs well, but I'd like to dismantle it in order to clean the inside of the glass.

There are five screw-in lugs which secure the face and mechanism to the inside of the case. Removing these is straightforward, but the adjustment rod is too wide to fit through the hole in the bakelite case, so the mechanism cannot be fully removed.

Does anyone know how to remove the adjustment rod so the internals can be separated from the case? I've attached a couple of photos below showing the problem.

Many thanks,

Liam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082_R.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	179198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084_R.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	179199