UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2005, 3:01 pm   #1
Station X

Default Toy Gramophones.

I've recently come across a Chad Valley toy gramophone - and I also remember Triang making a Phonograph in kit form in the early 1960s. It could record as well as play. Any one have or still got one of those?

Graham.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 10:52 pm. Reason: Post modified as it centred upon a now-defunct ebay link.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 3:16 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Toy Gramophones.

Mine was definitely later than this. All plastic, ISTR it was red and white. Probably got broken or given away when I grew out of it.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 3:17 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The one I had as a child in the early/mid 70's was made by Marx.
I can remember buying the brightly coloured 78's from the local record shop with my father .

David

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Defunct ebay link removed and post edited accordingly.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 4:40 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

I think the one I owned would have been earlier (60's). I don't remember it being made by Marx but I do remember the manufacturers being based in Glamorgan....my mother had to send it away for repair when the speed control failed...and I got a blue and white one back. Happy days!

Rich.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 10:57 pm. Reason: Edited to conform with removed ebay link in another post.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 4:51 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I had one as well , all plastic, I don't remember much about it, but it went the way of many childhood toys . A few years ago I was given a late 1920s toy gramophone known as the "Bing Pigmyphone", cheaply made of tin, it's a bit tatty but still works! I saw one of these on ebay recently. I have amassed a pile of 6" records of the period, (2nd attachment), but some of the titles may upset the P.C. brigade these days!....... .

Regards, Mick. ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BING PYGMYPHONE.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2064   Click image for larger version

Name:	MARVEL.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	2065  
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 4:56 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Looking at that photo of a Marx, I think mine might have been one of those rather than a Chad Valley.
I actually had two of these, the first one was handed down from my brother who would have had it in the early 1960's. This one was red and white. They are powered by two D cells under the turntable

HTH
David
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 5:20 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave, I'm pretty sure mine was a red and white Marx. I remember playing with it a lot - must have been about 5 at the time so that makes it 1961.

Mick, that's a really sweet little gram. Looking at the photo, you must use it for in-car entertainment The record label is a lovely design and politcal correctness hadn't been invented then. I have a piano roll of "The Darktown Strutters Ball", the words on it might almost get somebody arrested nowadays.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 8:44 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

From https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...oy+gramophones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT
Not to throw the thread too far of topic I too had a Chad Valley toy gramaphone (I believe they were produced in two colours, Red and Yellow and Blue and Yellow) as I recall they had a speed control which, with careful adjustment, would slow the turntable down to 45 RPM, I tried to play at least one 45 on the "gramophone" but dread to think what the "six inch nail" stylus did to the grooves!!!
The marx one would be similar to the one I had as a child, but I suspect that mine was also made by Chad Valley, and I would be using it sometime in the early to mid 1960's.

I mentioned that there were two colour schemes, it appears that there were more; unless Chad Valley only used the red/Yellow and Blue/Yellow schemes and Marx introduced other colour schemes later on.

Having further perused this post, I suspect that Chad Valley may have at some point taken over Marx or purchased the rights to produce a similar looking unit as I am sure that mine was made by Chad Valley and not Marx; thus making the red/yellow etc. units the ones made by Chad Valley and not as the other way around as suggested above.

Andrew

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Link to other referred thread inserted ( with highlights ).
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 9:55 pm   #9
af024
Octode

I remember something called the Chad Valley 'Close 'n' Play. Would it have been one of those I wonder.

As regards the Marx and the Lumar (same things) I had two as a child - my brother's cast off followed by my own. I played both of mine to the death (including killing all my records off). Boy was I upset when it got thrown away. I kept all my ruined records however and over that last few years I've been trying to re-collect them all (quite a task for sure).

Anyhow, as a side issue, our local toy shop (still around AND still has an assistant working there that I remember as a child) sold Gala Goldentone records and Kidditune records. The Goldentones were bright orange and the Kidditunes were black (with yellow label). The Goldentones were made of a brittle plastic (which also didn't fair too well against the onslaught of the Lumar). The Kidditunes were 'modern' day vinyl and seemed to take some hammer.

Anyhow, not only have I managed to get some of the old records back into fold, but I've also managed to get my hands on a couple of Lumars.

Happy days. I am convinced that these things started me off with music and record collecting - simply magic. Hats off to all manufacturers concerned!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lumar Red Toy Gramophone 001a.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lumar Blue Toy Gramophone 004a.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gala GG3a Record a.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marx Orange Toy Gramophone 003 a.jpg
Views:	1661
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lumar LM 48 a.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2077  

Old 23rd Nov 2005, 9:59 pm   #10
af024
Octode

Smile Re: Toy Gramophones.

Interestingly, Gala Goldentone GG3 'A Cowboy Needs a Horse' makes an appearance in the Rare Record Price Guide 2006 and comes in at a stonking £10 in mint condition! Can you believe it.

Andy
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 10:14 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Have a look at this site, esp. Gallery Four: http://www.kiddierekordking.com/art.html

Some of these ones apparently displayed synchronised animated cartoons too

Nick
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 10:45 pm   #12
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I have a fair number of those 6" discs as would have been used on the toy machines, It is not easy to identify the artists, but most were made by famous dance bands and comedians, Charles Penrose of "Laughing policeman" fame crops up quite a lot. I must start listing them and possibly transfer the better ones to CD one day, the average playing time is 1.5 minutes! . I've attached some more interesting label scans. .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	columbia.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2078   Click image for larger version

Name:	beacon.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2079   Click image for larger version

Name:	marspen.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2080   Click image for larger version

Name:	mimosa.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2081   Click image for larger version

Name:	nursery.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2082  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 11:16 pm. Reason: Response to now-deleted OT post removed.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 6:49 pm   #13
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I have just found this link that may interst some of you, although I am now doubting if my toy gramophone was made by Chad Valley; it being identical to the Marx and Lumar models.

http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=26

I can certainly recall having some of the Goldentone and Kidditunes records though....

Andrew

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 11:17 pm. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 7:14 pm   #14
rovereab
Tetrode

This thread has really brought back childhood memories for me of the 1960s. I had a red/white version and Kidditunes records.

I can still hear the sound of the battery powered motor from memory! I can also remember going to a shop in Ilford's Pioneer Market called Ron's Music Shop to but small tins of gold needles which I think were made by HMV (how much would these be worth now LOL). If my memory serves me well some needles had something like a plastic collar on the blunt end - not sure why.

Great thread!

Eamonn
Closed Thread