UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2005, 5:35 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default Plus-a-gram 78rpm deck.

I have a Plus-a-gram turntable - Collaro motor (working) and Collaro pick up arm.

I've replaced the rather tatty mains lead and earthed the motor and platform. There is still the rather tatty output lead with two plugs (actually only one is there but that's easily sorted) coming from the pick up that I intend plugging into my Bush AC11.

I've unscrewed the green plastic cover where the stylus should be (but isn't) and inside is a magnet and a circular red 'thingy' where presumably the stylus emerges.

What do I need to complete the arrangement and where would I get it?

Also, the Bush AC11 is an AC only set and the chassis is earthed. Am I right in thinking that isolation caps are not required?

I realise that the red 'thingy' is the coil (!) and almost everything appears intact - but where does the stylus attach? And what sort?

-- Tim.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Consecutive posts by same person and mispelt brandname corrected.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:03 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Plusogram 78 record player

Hi Tim,

There were several generations of Plus-a-grams, made by J. and A. (?) Margolin, the family company later better known for its Dansette products.

All those I've seen, several of which used Collaro motors and arms, were for 78rpm only, and took standard gramophone needles rather than styli: a small thumbscrew at the front secures the needle, which is inserted in a little hole underneath the head. The arms, though, were brown, and perhaps yours is later and quite different. In that case, if you could post a photo of the head here someone might be able to identify it and advise you on a stylus: if it is a Plus-a-gram of a very late date, it's not something that many of us here are likely to be familiar with, but the head may well have been used in many other types of record player. Sorry I can't be more specific yet...

Paul

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jun 2007 at 11:31 pm. Reason: Reference to mispelt brandname removed.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 4:39 pm   #3
TimS
Pentode

Ah - all becomes clear...

My puzzle as to where the stylus goes is explained by the lack of a stylus! I had wondered (briefly) if a needle went through a certain tiny hole then promptly dismissed it thinking that anything electric would have a stylus!

How often should I change needles - do they last longer due to not having to move a speaker mechanically?

Thanks!

PS. It does have a Margolin badge on.
PPS. The arm is brown.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 4:41 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tim,

It does indeed sound like one of those machines which took standard 78rpm needles and, if so, these are still easily obtainable. In the event of these forums transpiring to be less than fruitful, you may care to contact Julie at http://www.dansettes.co.uk/index.htm who I'm sure would be delighted to help you with information.

You may also care to peruse this link http://www.styli.co.nz/plus-a-gram.html which, as you will see, is a New Zealand company.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 4:49 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS
How often should I change needles - do they last longer due to not having to move a speaker mechanically?
The answer to that is 'very often'. These needles came in many different types; some would knacker after just one playing whilst others were, supposedly, capable of ten plays. They also came for various tones eg soft or loud and this depended upon the material they were made from basically (there were steel and bronze types).

When used on an electric machine they may last slightly longer but those old tonearms were not much lighter than the old acoustic types, so you'll probably find needles still need frequent changes. One further point, use them only for shellac records - don't play the later plastic/vinyl 78s with them .
Old 24th Nov 2005, 5:23 pm   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Generally the old steel needles were intended to be used once only, They work by grinding themselves to fit the shape of the groove, Shellac records usually contain slate dust to assist in this process. After use the point resembles a chisel , Not good if you value your records . As Darren said, don't play vinyl 78s with them, and if you have any late 50s "Rock and Roll" or Elvis 78s, avoid these too, They are loudly cut and some are now quite valuable, I've seen many damaged by people playing them on wind-ups . The condition of the rubber bushes in the pickup is vital to ensure reasonable compliance, They often go hard. We discussed this recently here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=brown+felt

Regards, Mick.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 7:39 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I still make considerable use of an acoustic Columbia Grafonola for playing 78s that aren't especially well-preserved or highly valued, aside from having several '30s radiograms all of which will use steel or similar needles once restored. In fact the needles seem generally to do most damage when they're completely new, as the initial record grooves receive the task of disposing of their more severe production irregularities: hence the way a very worn 78 will often present almost pure noise at the beginning, with the music gradually appearing through the fog in the course of the first 30 seconds or so. One recommendation from needle manufacturers to counter this was to run a new needle for a few seconds in the run-off groove before starting to play a record.

Several tones of current production needles are available, but nowadays they all seem to be plain steel and recommended for use only on a single record side. A popular wheeze for getting at least one more fairly satisfactory play from each needle was to rotate it through about 90 degrees after use... certainly that tends to produce better sound quality than leaving it in the initial position, so I imagine excessive wear is reduced too.

Paul
Closed Thread