UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2020, 6:08 pm   #1
pudwink
Pentode

Default Amstrad studio 100 issues

Hi all
I have a retro Amstrad studio 100 Hifi in my mancave vintage computer room which I love but its not working as it should the record deck is playing slightly slow and if I click the Hifi onto tape there is a loud feedback noise which does die down after a couple of mins anyone have any ideas where to start to try and sort these issues please.
many thanks
Old 26th Sep 2020, 8:57 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad studio 100 issues

Your unit is 35 years old now and the Drive belt for TT may by now need replacing. This unit is crammed full of controls, meters, lamps and whizzos - it might be the "reverb" feature that is causing what you call "feedback".
Old 26th Sep 2020, 7:01 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

I have had one of these from new back in '89. Common problems were the relays on the 4 track deck causing oscillation, and the rec-pb slider from the upper deck might also need a clean. Ditto the main mode switch (DJ-HIFI-STUDIO).

The Tanashin cassette mechs really were not man enough for the job, especially in the 4 track unit. New belt and pinch roller will cure erratic speed - for a while!

Likewise the sliders were fairly cheap and nasty, and tended to go crackly very early, so some servisol on these and the relays mentioned earlier would be a good idea.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 9:11 pm   #4
pudwink
Pentode

Where would I find the belts and Piinch rollers for it As there is a guy on eBay selling them but he is quite expensive.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 11:47 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Just order a mixed lot of square section belts, it would probably be cheaper. Will try and find the reference to that Tanashin pinch roller too.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 1:27 pm   #6
pudwink
Pentode

Hi
I have ordered some belts coming from china so could be a while any luck on finding the pinch roller for me.
many thanks
Closed Thread