UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:07 am   #41
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: Use of MEK to restore idler wheel?

We used heat shrink up to very large sizes in my last job. Possibly came from RS
or Farnell ?
Mike.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:22 pm   #42
HG MICKE
Pentode

Looking back in my old notes, if the idler tyre has become rigid and hard no amount of cleaning or solvents will reactivate it. A work around that we used was a flat cassette drive belt of slightly smaller diameter fixed to the tyre surface with rubber cement (not super glue as it made it too rigid ).

Colin
Old 24th Mar 2023, 8:51 pm   #43
emeritus
Dekatron

A couple of years ago I managed to get some large diameter heat shrink from my local electrical supplier (C.E.F).

Last edited by emeritus; 24th Mar 2023 at 8:59 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 8:48 am   #44
sparkymike
Octode

I did a quick search on E bay and one seller has up to 50mm. Maybe larger on there.
Mike.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 10:33 am   #45
Chris R
Pentode

Does not heat shrink have a slightly shiny surface? Not sure if this would give sufficient grip.

Chris R
Old 25th Mar 2023, 10:40 am   #46
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG MICKE View Post
Looking back in my old notes, if the idler tyre has become rigid and hard no amount of cleaning or solvents will reactivate it. A work around that we used was a flat cassette drive belt of slightly smaller diameter fixed to the tyre surface with rubber cement (not super glue as it made it too rigid ).

Colin
Yes I've had success with the same approach. Flat belts still come in various lengths, widths and thicknesses. The thicker the section the more the compliance. Compared to heatshrink the belt rubber seems closer to the performance of the usual original rubber on the idler.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 11:17 am   #47
nicam49
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Does not heat shrink have a slightly shiny surface? Not sure if this would give sufficient grip.

Chris R
I was going on that post on Vinylengine where the OP said he'd used that method successfully several times.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=18&t=98724

Re using a flat belt.... easier said than done acquiring a belt of just the right size to match the circumference of the wheel.....? 🤔.... or am I overthinking it?

Last edited by nicam49; 26th Mar 2023 at 11:31 am.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:42 am   #48
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Use of MEK to restore idler wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG MICKE View Post
For cleaning and restoring the grip on idlers and pinch rollers I have had great success with Platenclene a product designed for print rollers. I have been using this for nearly 20 years and unlike most solvents it does not degrade the rubber over time.

Colin
Apart from being a good cleaner, personally I have had minimal success with it to restore rubber idlers, will give it another try today on my TK 40 fast forward wind idler that is playing up.

David
My Grundig TK 40 Reel to Reel was struggling to fast forward wind when the Take Up spool was heavily loaded with tape. After using Platenclene spray it now is working very well. The rubber tyred FFD drive idler had a dark/black driving edge that IPA cleaning did not remove, but after spraying Platenclene onto a Microfibre cloth and rubbing hard, the idler edge was cleaned up nicely, with no obvious difference to the rubber softness, it still feels firm/hard.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	275966  
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:15 pm   #49
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I don't know if Forum members are aware, but you can buy replacement idler wheel for Garrard and BSR decks from Dansette Products Ltd, (as well as a range of other spares), but not perhaps at a prices which will have great appeal:

Garrard idler wheel (exchange):

£24.50.

https://www.dansette.com/product-pag...-wheel-garrard

Quote:

This is the only type of Garrard idler we have, as seen in the Tempo using the Garrard AT4 turntable and others, 50mm Diameter.

Price is for an exchange item, you must mail in your old item first after purchase quoting your invoice number. Old item must be in fully useable condition apart from the rubber. Your replacement will be new re manufactured using the old metalwork. You won't receive the same metalwork back.

Unquote.

BSR idler wheel (exchange):

£19.50

https://www.dansette.com/product-page/idler-wheel-bsr

Quote:

You must first send your old idler wheel, and will get a replacement - not your original wheel. Please study the picture carefully as this is the only type of BSR idler we have.

Price is for an exchange item, you must mail in your old item first after purchase quoting your invoice number. Old item must be in fully useable condition apart from the rubber. Your replacement will be new old stock or excellent condition used.

End quote.
Old 30th Mar 2023, 8:20 am   #50
sparkymike
Octode

Re. heat shrink, once fitted you could roughen it up with fine sand paper, or perhaps sand it before fitting.
One other method which would work with thick rubber wheels is to machine a good bit of the rubber off in a lathe and then cut a rubber ring out of thick rubber sheet and super glue it on.
Another method if rubber is thick enough would be to machine a groove and then fit an o ring.
The last two methods need a lathe of course.
Anyone local to me (North Essex) I could do it while you wait FOC and you would get a cup of tea into the bargain.!!

Mike.
Old 30th Mar 2023, 6:51 pm   #51
cooperman
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
I don't know if Forum members are aware, but you can buy replacement idler wheel for Garrard and BSR decks from Dansette Products Ltd, (as well as a range of other spares), but not perhaps at a prices which will have great appeal:

Garrard idler wheel (exchange):

£24.50.

https://www.dansette.com/product-pag...-wheel-garrard

Quote:

This is the only type of Garrard idler we have, as seen in the Tempo using the Garrard AT4 turntable and others, 50mm Diameter.

Price is for an exchange item, you must mail in your old item first after purchase quoting your invoice number. Old item must be in fully useable condition apart from the rubber. Your replacement will be new re manufactured using the old metalwork. You won't receive the same metalwork back.

Unquote.

BSR idler wheel (exchange):

£19.50

https://www.dansette.com/product-page/idler-wheel-bsr

Quote:

You must first send your old idler wheel, and will get a replacement - not your original wheel. Please study the picture carefully as this is the only type of BSR idler we have.

Price is for an exchange item, you must mail in your old item first after purchase quoting your invoice number. Old item must be in fully useable condition apart from the rubber. Your replacement will be new old stock or excellent condition used.

End quote.
Alas, the BSR wheel for sale is most likely the standard size one - not the larger sized one for the 710/810 turntables.
Old 31st Mar 2023, 10:13 am   #52
nicam49
Hexode

It would help if they gave the diameter of the wheel.
Old 21st Apr 2023, 11:52 am   #53
DonaldStott
Octode

I asked Dansette about a replacement idler wheel for my Garrard Model 210 auto-changer and sent photos and measurements.

Their response was ‘Sorry the profile is different so we can't re make that one.’ - oh well!
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 7:51 am   #54
sparkymike
Octode

If you only play LP's, would it make any sense just to replace the idler with a single speed one ?

Mike.
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 9:21 am   #55
kalee20
Dekatron

I've never seen different size idlers for different speeds - though I suppose it could be possible, to better suit the different size motor spindles (speed of turntable of course depends only on the driving-rim diameter and the motor spindle diameter, any intermediate gears, pulleys, idlers all cancelling out).
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 4:23 pm   #56
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I've never seen different size idlers for different speeds - though I suppose it could be possible, to better suit the different size motor spindles (speed of turntable of course depends only on the driving-rim diameter and the motor spindle diameter, any intermediate gears, pulleys, idlers all cancelling out).
The Collaro 3RC521 had different sized idlers for each of it's 3 speeds but I've never seen any other deck which was similar or the same.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 8:26 am   #57
sparkymike
Octode

In that case the idler would be much easier to replicate. Is it possible to post dimensions and photo ?
Mike.
Closed Thread