UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2022, 1:12 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Retro Tech Emor Globe seller sought!

Some time ago I saw some catering size hemispherical bowls in stainless steel and thought that two of them could be cut down to make a replica Emor Globe.

Use an FM tuner, a decent audio amp, and a car audio speaker. A whip antenna sticking vertically upright on top will fit the spacey theme. Another pair of bowls would make a satellite (ho ho) speaker for stereo. If done well, the fashionistas cuddling their Emors in their fashionably sparse apartments could be rather jealous. You'll also have some choice in stations as the AM ones are going away.

Look upon the high prices and low performance of the originals as an opportunity and ask yourself "What would Gerry Wells have done?"

David

PS, engrave them "Spacely Sprockets inc." and see who gets the joke.
Old 18th May 2022, 6:22 pm   #22
fetteler
Octode

I don't think collectors are at all impressed by or jealous of fakes. To anyone who collects stuff originality is paramount. OK it may not be your thing and that's fine but the OP obviously wants an original; I for one totally get that and wish him every success with the search.

Come to think of it I wouldn't mind one myself

Steve.
Old 18th May 2022, 10:07 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

It depends what your aim is. If you want one in your collection with the aim of impressing or making other collectors jealous, then there is no substitute for scrupulous originality. You're likely to find it rather disappointing as a radio, though. They honestly were not very good.

If you think something like it would make a nice decoration in your living room, a shiny sphere on a stick with some rather futuristic style controls... why not have a go? It's a free world, and without the cost constraints seen in the original, you can also make a better job of it.

Someone I used to know had a steady flow of guitar amps brought to him for fixing. Eventually he'd had enough and decided "I could have done a better one than that" So he did. He sold them under the name "Matamp" and a guy with a retail shop in London had Matt make some in orange tolex with the brand "Orange" on them. You'll see them on stage with all sorts of famous performers from the sixties onwards.

Don't suffer the inadequate, show people what really can be done. And you also avoid fashionista prices.

Copy something? no, leapfrog it and get ahead.

David
Old 18th May 2022, 10:31 pm   #24
fetteler
Octode

Yes it depends what your aim is, I agree 100%, however, I understood the aim of the OP here is to obtain an original and my post was to underline that point.

Your story about the birth of Orange amplifiers is not exactly relevant - that chap was mending them for others, not collecting them

Anyway, I again wish the OP every success in tracking a globe down.

Steve.
Old 18th May 2022, 10:34 pm   #25
Cobaltblue

If your a collector of domestic radio particularly of the pre-war years and just post war (like myself) the majority of sets were of adequate performance.

This includes well known sets like the EMOR

I have had mine for over 35 years but then I have had my round EKCO's for a similar period.

For me its not just about performance it's the manufacture, styling and the social history.

These sets were in the main used to deliver entertainment but also like modern Tech in some quarters say something about you and your style (and status/wealth).

I wouldn't use many domestic sets for serious DXing.
Many of these sets would have been tuned to only a couple of stations over the majority of their working lives.

It may perform no better than a cheap just post war woodie, but it is a looker and says something about post war Britain.
In my opinion you want an EMOR, go get one if you can.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th May 2022, 10:58 pm   #26
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
If your a collector of domestic radio particularly of the pre-war years and just post war (like myself) the majority of sets were of adequate performance.

This includes well known sets like the EMOR

I have had mine for over 35 years but then I have had my round EKCO's for a similar period.

For me its not just about performance it's the manufacture, styling and the social history.

These sets were in the main used to deliver entertainment but also like modern Tech in some quarters say something about you and your style (and status/wealth).

I wouldn't use many domestic sets for serious DXing.
Many of these sets would have been tuned to only a couple of stations over the majority of their working lives.

It may perform no better than a cheap just post war woodie, but it is a looker and says something about post war Britain.
In my opinion you want an EMOR, go get one if you can.
Very much agree- the Ekco A22 and Sparton Bluebird are distinctly unexciting from the electronics point of view, even cut-down and thrifted, but the overall packages are seen as epitomising the style and popular mood of the time and have become worth far more than a dry, abstract perusal of the circuit diagram might suggest.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:05 pm   #27
PJL
Dekatron

Far more functional than the highly collectable (and expensive) USA miniatures like the Catalin and Disney ones.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:23 pm   #28
calculon
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post

Plan fo Retrotech May 2022.

Moderators, If I have breached any rules please remove image of table nos.

John.
Great! Thank you very much.
Old 19th May 2022, 9:01 am   #29
stevehertz
Dekatron

I would say that the vast majority of us on this forum collect vintage radios from the prewar era due to their styling and vintage 'vibe', we find them attractive and have a desire to own and cherish them. They simply make us happy. Obviously, obviously, one would not expect their performance level to match later post war sets, FM sets and of course solid state tuners, and they're mostly not bought for that reason. Speaking for myself, I buy zero sets to impress friends. In fact, I only have one close vintage wireless associate, a nice, level headed guy who wouldn't be impressed by any pretentious 'bragging' on my part about an addition to my collection. No, my collection is pretty much only known to myself and all my sets make me happy for a variety of reasons, and statistically, performance is mostly not the reason for ownership.

Last edited by stevehertz; 19th May 2022 at 9:12 am.
Old 19th May 2022, 9:12 am   #30
lloydwells
Heptode

The Emor is basically your "Fun with radio" bog standard circuit in a metal ball I couldn't moan I paid £30 for mine on FB marketplace would I spend £500 on one no would I spend the £1500 I saw one for last year hell no. If you're going to get one though go for a chromed brass one the Anodised spheres can be a pain and the earlier the production the better made they seem to be no two seem to be the same when it comes to the chassis being early post war production I assume that was down to there being plenty of cheap surplus components about. Another thing to watch is the Tuning scale the anodised sphere scale is entirely different to the ones fitted to the chromed brass spheres.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 7:48 am   #31
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=193325

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread