UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2022, 7:02 am   #1
mc_urbani
Diode

Default Dynatron LS 1428 Speakers

Hello.

I have inherited a pair of Dynatron LS 1428 speakers. Does anyone have any information on these? in particular, one of the 8'' woofers needs a total overhaul: the speeder (I think that's what it is called), paper cone, and foam need replacing. The coil and dust cap are intact it seems. I am looking at what options I have to repair the woofer in question. I am also considering whether I should replace the woofer with a similar one but I can't find any specs document about these speakers and can't, therefore, look for a possible replacement. A serial number is engraved at the base of the speaker (on the side of the magnet casing). The number is 750881 (or 750801 or 750891). 8Ohm is also printed at the back of the paper cone but that's all I have.

Thank you,
Old 20th May 2022, 8:10 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron LS 1428 Speakers

These will be Goodmans 8", 8 ohm drive units. They are modest, slightly above average drive units. Fortunately you can buy a reasonably priced 8", 8 ohm speaker that will replace these. Of course the specification will not be exactly the same (it wll be better) but will sound very good in these enclosures. Look at the "Monacor" range and you'll find a Bass/Mid range that will suit. I would tend to suggest that a repair of the original will not be easy and might end up costing you more in time and money. NB: "Speeder", I think you mean Spider.
Old 20th May 2022, 12:43 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

I think Dynatron also used Peerless drivers?
Old 20th May 2022, 4:36 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, they did. These speakers are often rather overlooked. It just might be possible that some of the later LS1428 batches might have used Peerless. The lookalike Period High Fidelity speakers did use Peerless. Both Comapnies being based in Maidnehead, I was never quite sure what level of "crossover " there was between Dynatron and PHF.
Old 21st May 2022, 4:20 am   #5
mc_urbani
Diode

Thanks Edwards and RojDW48. Here are pictures of the 'good' speaker. Any chance this would definitely help establish if this is a Peerless or Goodmans?

In either case, would you recommend replacing the woofers? I was quoted AUD320 to repair the bad woofer and re-foam the 'good' one. That's about 180GBP. I would be happy to spend that for alternative speakers that would give me a better sound.

Another question which I have is as to the characteristics of any replacement speaker. All I know is that it is a 8Ohm and that it measures 8''. The amplifier will handle 50W speakers but should I first establish what wattage the crossover can handle.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2035.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	257551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2034.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	257552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2036.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	257553   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	257554  
Old 21st May 2022, 9:17 am   #6
Michael Maurice

I cant see anything wrong with that speaker.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 21st May 2022, 9:53 am   #7
mc_urbani
Diode

Hi Michael. Thanks for your message. I posted the pictures of the good woofer to help identify the exact brand/type of speaker it is. As per my previous message on this thread, the other woofer from the other speaker is completely damaged and I doubt this could easily be repaired. If I can identify the speaker brand/model and ideally find the exact specs for the woofer in question, I might be able to decide which replacement woofer I need to buy.

Thank you,
Marco
Old 21st May 2022, 11:35 am   #8
alanworland
Heptode

In the late 60's I would walk past our local 'Kellys Radio' where they would often had a Dynatron system set up playing out through the entrance doors and it always sounded great - it's what started me on the hi-fi road!
As said, excellent speakers often overlooked.

Alan
Old 21st May 2022, 12:23 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_urbani View Post
Thanks Edwards and RojDW48. Here are pictures of the 'good' speaker. Any chance this would definitely help establish if this is a Peerless or Goodmans?

In either case, would you recommend replacing the woofers? I was quoted AUD320 to repair the bad woofer and re-foam the 'good' one. That's about 180GBP. I would be happy to spend that for alternative speakers that would give me a better sound.

Another question which I have is as to the characteristics of any replacement speaker. All I know is that it is a 8Ohm and that it measures 8''. The amplifier will handle 50W speakers but should I first establish what wattage the crossover can handle.

Thank you.
Well these are definately Peerless drivers. You will be unlikely to find a direct equivalent nowadays. Suggest you look for Monacor or equivalent drive units. Expect to pay £20-00 or more. Wimslow Audio will always give you excellent advice. Or maybe a Forum Member may have a good 8" Elac, Goodmans or Celestion (ideally with soft suspension) unit to hand, that would work surprisingly well in these cabinets.
Old 21st May 2022, 12:48 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_urbani View Post

Thank you.
definitely NOT Goodmans IMHO
Old 21st May 2022, 1:07 pm   #11
snowman_al
Octode

In the UK a good pair sell for approx. £80.
You would do better buying a good pair of speakers for your AUD320. (That smacks of a, ''I don't want to do them'' price.)

If you want to preserve them try a new pair of 8 inch 8Ω drivers and don't be too hung up on specs. Have a look at Jaycar for instance https://www.jaycar.com.au/woofer-spe...-inch/p/CW2196
but googling '8 inch 8Ω woofer/midrange' will get you local results. At least you would have a working pair...
Old 21st May 2022, 5:23 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

An 8", 8 ohm (full range) VISATON can be bought for £23-00 + VAT from CPC.
Old 22nd May 2022, 8:36 am   #13
mc_urbani
Diode

Thanks everyone for your input. I was looking at the Visaton bg20-8. I can get them locally. A little more pricy than England as most things are these days .

I think I'll go for these.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread