UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2022, 2:13 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Q For Simpletons

Ribbed formers - so most of the winding is actually in free-air rather than contacting the coil-former,, are good for minimising dielectric losses which compromise Q; I've got several Eddystone-type ceramic ones here that I've used in transmitter projects [though there you tend to aim for a working 'Q' of somewhere between 10 and 20 or the circulating currents/voltages can rapidly become unmanageable].

You used to be able to buy polystyrene 'combs' - lengths of square rod with slits cut into one side - a set of these would be fitted around a suitably-cylindrical thing and the coil then wound into the slots, after which the turns were held in place using "Q-dope" [polystyrene cement] and the cylinder up the middle was then pulled-out to leave just the combs and the winding. The result was a nicely low-loss coil suitable for receiver front-end or transmit-PA service.

"CODAR" down on the South Coast used to sell pre-made versions of these coils, and the US B&W company still offers its "Air-dux" coils to professional customers.... https://www.bwantennas.com/Airdux.html
Old 11th May 2022, 2:36 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

'Working Q" being the critical phrase. You want the Q of the in-circuit resonance to be controlled by the transformed antenna impedance, not by coil losses. You want your power to wind up in the antenna, not in warming an inductor. So very high Q coils are welcome in even circuits running at low Q, if you want good efficiency. The load on the circuit damps the Q of the resonator by taking the output power from it.

So you want the Q of each resonator component in isolation to be significantly better than the resonator in circuit and driving the load.

David
Old 11th May 2022, 5:47 pm   #43
kalee20
Dekatron

Thanks David!

That's one of the points I was making in my post #35.
Closed Thread