UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2022, 4:01 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Private Messages Notice ?

"Private Messages

You have used at least 90% of your private message storage quota. Please delete some old messages to clear some space."

Just had the above pop up on my screen, don't recollect seeing it before, is this a new thing ? I've not done private messaging for years.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 11:06 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Private Messages Notice ?

That is a count of not only the private messages you've sent, but also the ones you've received. So you must be unaware that you have built up a lot of presumably unread incoming ones?

Normally, the mods answer this sort of question privately, by PM. But as the issue seems to be that you don't look at incoming ones, that isn't going to work.

Click on 'Private Messages' bit in blue underlined text in the welcome box on any page of the forum and you have the fastest route to your PMs. There is a box to select whether you see the sent messages or the received ones. You now need to go through both message boxes and delete all the messages you don't want to keep.

For efficiency, you can just read down the lists, ticking the tick box at the right hand side and then select delete message then go at the bottom right corner. You'll have lots of pages of messages to go through to have got to this limit.

You've not been looking for incoming messages, so if you really don't care about reading what's been sent to you, there is a function to delete the whole lot. In your forum setup there is a tick box to turn on an automatic email message whenever you receive a new PM.

PMs really are private, and people use them for things they'd rather not post in the open forum... things like email addresses and phone numbers they don't want to get scooped up by spammers, and also for sharing private opinions. You might have missed some important messages, or interesting ones.

There is another option for handling PMs rather than deleting. You can download the lot for storage on your own machine.

As for me, I keep hitting the alarm level of 900 total. I use favourite expletive and go trawling through to clean out ones which are no longer relevent, or not important and I'm OK for another hundred or so.

David
Old 6th Jan 2022, 12:00 am   #3
paulsherwin

It's good to get into the habit of clearing out the junk every few months. Even the mods have to do this - we have PM quotas too.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 9:06 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I must admit that I wait until this message comes up (as it did this morning) and delete a few of my oldest messages (incoming and outgoing) so that the message goes away for a while. Yes, I really ought to be more systematic about it.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 9:07 am   #5
Stockden
Heptode

I’ve had this and, as Paul and David have said, it due simply to PMs building up in your in-box.

In my case it was the result of me following the usual human habit of reading something but not tidying up afterwards. My space was thus filled with old, read messages that I hadn’t deleted and, in all probability, had forgotten I’d ever received.

I have exactly the same issue with the storage on my phone because I never quite get round to deleting the photo that I took to make sure that I put a particular part back the way it came out. There’s a name for this condition apparently. In my case I think it’s called idleness.😀
Old 6th Jan 2022, 11:45 am   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
So you must be unaware that you have built up a lot of presumably unread incoming ones?

Normally, the mods answer this sort of question privately, by PM. But as the issue seems to be that you don't look at incoming ones, that isn't going to work.
Not so, my unread messages indicator has been at 0 (zero) for a long time, the last message I received was over 2 years ago, if the unread message indicator had indicated an unread message I would have noticed.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 12:39 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Even if the messages have been read, they still count against your quota until you get rid of them.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 1:50 pm   #8
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Even if the messages have been read, they still count against your quota until you get rid of them.
This is exactly the issue that caught me and, I suspect, catches most people.

Hugh
Old 6th Jan 2022, 5:16 pm   #9
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Well, no notice received, but just spent a little while thinning out almost 260 messages to just 19 in my inbox!
Rob