UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2009, 12:22 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default A Scottish Meet

The sassenachs had Harpenden last month, Wooton Bassett is on tomorrow. When, oh when are folk north of the Boarder going to make the effort to meet up somewhere ?
It doesent have to be a huge expensive venue. Just a wee village hall somewhere in the central belt prahaps.
I've tried to drum up interest a couple of times in the past year or so, but no takers. I'm quite prepared to set off early from Aberdeenshire, and could be in say - Stirling or Kinross in less than 3hrs, to help set something up. A few tables and a tea-urn. Come on guys, fingers out.

David
Old 4th Jul 2009, 2:04 pm   #2
radiotircoed
Pentode

Default Re: A Scottish Meet

A meet in Wales would be good too!

Bob W
Old 4th Jul 2009, 6:45 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Have a search on the forums David. A Scottish meet has been discussed several times and I think there have been a couple of attempts at organising them too, but they came to nothing. It may be interesting to see why.

I think it needs a small group of people to just go for it and get a small event organised somewhere reasonably accessible to the main population centres and see what the turnout is. Chat with Mike Barker (BVWS Chairman) as I believe if it is a BVWS-only event it can be covered by their insurance and they may even be able to underwrite any losses as long as the proposals are realistic. He could probably also tell you how members are north of the border.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Jul 2009, 9:52 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Paul, thanks for advice & info. Getting in touch with Mike Barker seems a good idea. Shall wait a day or twa and see if any Scots folk make a contribution to the thread. Even just half a dozen guys getting together in someone's garage or big garden shed in the Central Belt somewhere, would be a start.
My wife is quite heavily involved with the WRI up here, so I have an inkling of what's involved insurance & H&S wise in regard to hiring just a wee annex off a village hall.
I'm not proposing a big day-long event. Just a chat, cup of tea or coffee, and a bit of bartering or swoping of surplus equipment & components.

David
Old 4th Jul 2009, 9:54 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hello
My BVWS membership has lapsed this year mostly due to finances during the time I was ill.
I did think of organizing something for perhaps this year or next but again my health stood in the way.
I am now so much better health wise but still trying to restore the finances.
I would certainly now be ina position to help out with organization for a meet but would not want to do it single handed.
If anyone has any ideas please give me a PM.
Cheers
Trevor

Hi, I just missed Davids post, a meet for up to a dozen at my place is quite feasable

Last edited by murphyv310; 4th Jul 2009 at 9:57 pm. Reason: Missed David Simpsons posting
Old 5th Jul 2009, 11:49 am   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

We are all pleased, I reckon, that Trevor is well recovered & back in circulation. And has made a most generous offer. Most appreciated. I would certainly make the effort to drive down to Kilmarnock. Could possibly tie it in with a family history research trip to Dumbarton I'd thought of making this autumn or next spring.
I'm retired, and am quite willing to fit in with other folk's suggestions for meeting up somewhere. Just a handful of BVWS members/Forum contributors getting together would be a start.

David
Old 5th Jul 2009, 7:19 pm   #7
peter_scott
Dekatron

Maybe just a meeting like the Trips up North, preferably at a member's home or shed that is approximately at the centroid of interested member's locations.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2009, 8:45 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I like the idea of an informal get-together at someone's house, organised through the forum and also perhaps writing to nearby BVWS members listed in the members handbook.

It costs nothing to put on (other than a few tea bags, a couple of packets of biscuits, and maybe some 2nd class stamps) and is a good way of judging interest and even discussing the options for a more formal event if there is a good turnout. People could take along items they are looking to sell too, discuss at the gathering and do the business at the back of the cars outside. A location that is relatively central for all attending and has reasonable parking would help but for something informal I'm sure people would be tolerant and flexible.

The same could be done in the South Wales area (as mentioned in post #2) as there must be a reasonable number of members in Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and other nearby towns. Although Wootton Bassett is not that difficult to get to from South Wales (just along the M4 and pay the toll), it may be too much of a trek for some members.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Jul 2009, 5:22 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If there is no objection to the odd Sassenach, Kilmarnock is not a million miles away for some of us just the other side of the border. A rough check on the maps shows Kilmarnock to be about the same distance from me as Lowton (the nearest BVWS event to me), and probably a more interesting (albeit slower) journey.
Old 6th Jul 2009, 5:33 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well for me, Harpenden and Wooton Bassett are as far south as Kilmarnock is north, so why not. There won't be any trouble with us Englishers will there?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Jul 2009, 5:44 pm   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Steve, you could always wear a kilt and frighten them with the sight of your knees
Old 6th Jul 2009, 6:13 pm   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Dave & Steve, Really good news to hear that you're prepared to venture north. So far - that's 4 of us prepared to meet up at Trevor's in Kilmarnock sometime. Another few guys, and it looks as though a small informal Meet is on.
Obviously, although I was the originator of this thread, interested parties should really liaise with Trevor as he most kindly made the offer of his place for a dozen guys to meet up.
I was only joking about Sassenachs, no offence meant. Seeing as I'm an exiled Scouser who has only lived in the north of Scotland for 36 years.

David

ps. Should a Meet go ahead, then along with Haggis & Neeps, lunch menue will also offer a pan of Scouse and a plate of Dripping Butties.
Old 6th Jul 2009, 6:19 pm   #13
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

... and a wee dram for those not driving?
Alan
Old 6th Jul 2009, 6:23 pm   #14
IJK2008
Hexode

Hello David/ Trevor

I would like to come along, I'm only among the road in Glasgow and I 'm sure I could learn a lot in an afternoon from the more experienced amongst us.

Ian
Old 6th Jul 2009, 7:00 pm   #15
peter_scott
Dekatron

Whilst it's nice to travel during summer months we may end up with lower numbers due to holiday commitments and competing events. It might be worth considering an October or November date when there's less going on.

Peter
Old 6th Jul 2009, 8:19 pm   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
I was only joking about Sassenachs, no offence meant.
... and absolutely none taken
Old 6th Jul 2009, 8:19 pm   #17
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Hi,
If I get my current health matters out of the way I would be glad to attend at Kilmarnock or anywhere in Scotland. Love the Scottish roads.
Paul.
Old 6th Jul 2009, 8:47 pm   #18
David Simpson
Nonode

Paul, I'm sure all of us wish you a speedy recovery. Looks like numbers are building.
The Tattie holidays in October could be a possibility. Wheras Nov might clash with the big event near Warrington. Or next springtime. Whatever is the concensus, and obviously when most convenient for Trevor.
Either side of the Scottish(roughly the 1st week in July to the third week in Aug) & English school holidays( roughly 3 weeks behind) in the summer months is another option. But quite frankly, if you consider foreign tourists also, I'd give the summer months a miss. David
Old 6th Jul 2009, 9:29 pm   #19
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Guys
Yes I am well up for it. If you are all happy coming up to Kilmarnock and there are no objections, lets set a date. I am off on holiday from the 17th July Friday and back the following Saturday (25th) so any time before or after is ok.
Lads and lasses from south of the border would be most welcome as well, when it comes to vintage there's no borders!!
Cheers
Trevor
Old 6th Jul 2009, 10:18 pm   #20
peter_scott
Dekatron

Assuming we are talking weekends I'm ok 1/2nd August but thereafter I'm not free until 10/11th October.

Peter
Closed Thread