UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2019, 9:21 am   #21
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Using Lead free solder.

It is always best to suck off as much lead free solder as possible, if you are remaking the joint with normal 60/40 tin lead solder.

I have found that lead free solder gives a dull crystalline finish to a joint.
Mike
Old 17th Oct 2019, 12:20 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
"When soldering use lead free solder, Sn-Ag-Cu."
It particularly says to use only the solder with a SILVER content, which means not to use the cheap, basic version.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 7:23 am   #23
FrankB
Heptode

When I was in business, I "loved" the lead free solder. It provided me with a tremendous income repairing the connections on the TV and radio sets.
(Here RCA/TCE was famous for tuner problems from bad lead free solder conn, that would also blow out the EEprom $$ Cha-Ching!)

It's pure garbage, IMHO.

I would suck the lead free off and use lead solder to insure I had a good joint.
The wave soldering used by some of the mfgr's. was not really good using it.

I will stick to lead solder as long as my stash holds out, then go to silver solder. I likely will still have some left after I die.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 9:04 am   #24
KeithsTV
Nonode

When I was at work we had designed a unit which was manufactured by a contract manufacturer. It was around the time industry was transitioning to lead free solder and we had many problems with units failing. Out of the first months production around 20% of the units failed. I was part of the team that investigated the failures which we discovered were primarily due to failed solder joints on the BGAs. One failed joint could cause the unit to fail. It was all down to the soldering process which they hadn't got right plus a few other issues with cleaning the PCB. Once the processes were changed we had fewer failures due to failed joints.

We also had a clear out of all the leaded solder at work and rather than chuck it all out it was distributed to anyone who wanted it as long as it was removed from the premises. I got a couple of reels which should last me a few more years.

If I have to resolder an unleaded joint I try to remove as much of the unleaded solder as possible before resoldering with "real" solder.

Keith
Old 19th Oct 2019, 9:05 pm   #25
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Hmm. I've used cheap Sn/Cu solder for all of my projects, and while the joints don't look good, I've never had one fail. Maybe I've changed my technique in some way to compensate for the poorer 'flow'.

Sometimes this solder spits tiny little balls of solder that require careful removal but that might be because my iron isn't at the right temperature (my iron's cheap too )
Old 19th Oct 2019, 10:09 pm   #26
greg_simons
Octode

Never really had any problems with lead free, did have to upgrade the metcal to higher temperature bits though, the solder I'm using has some silver in it and was horrifically expensive at the time, as others here point out bga chips are a nightmare and can just fall right off the board after a while.
Greg.