UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2019, 7:56 pm   #61
robinshack
Heptode

Default Re: Break in to workshop.

One was kept for semtimental reasons. My father went into care over 3 years ago and passed away recently. It was a .177 in very poor condition. The barrel was held to the stock with pvc tape and muzzle velocity was sufficient to possibly be felt at a few metres of range!
The .22 was over 40 years old, a Diana make and again, was better, but still not very powerful.
The .22 had been used very little since living here from 1979.
The police did pay attention to this particular loss when I phoned 101 and told me an officer would be in touch very soon if more details were required. They also asked if any "ammunition" was missing, to which I answered "no".
I still have heard nothing.
Maybe 10 hours later I phoned again after speaking to my neighbour who was away. He told me to tell them about his shotguns and asked me to get them to keep a closer watch.
Again, this was passed up the chain and I was told, "OK, we will try and keep some watch, but if anything happens, ring 999".
SO, the police were fully aware and at no time asked me any more questions.
The air rifles were just left at the back of the shed, about 10ft from the door and surrounded by typical radio junk. Not hidden, just leaning against a dexion rack.
There are no windows in the shed and nobody might have reason to know that air rifles might be within.
To be honest, I am not bothered what the police might think, just really concerned that I do not have a second break in to steal some of the tools and stuff seen (and probably photographed) on the first visit.
Around here, others agree the local police are useless when tackling crime.
An example. 3 years ago my wife's stationary car was hit by an unaccompanied learner with no L plates and we called the police and they just took details and did nothing, despite me finding an independent witness living 8 metres away. The learner claimed a male (who I saw arrive 8 minutes later on) had been in the passenger seat in her Fiat 500 all the time!
I knew it was insurance fraud and told our insurer just 2 hours after the accident. The police left it 6 weeks before getting a statement from my witness and then claimed it was unreliable so could not be used. The learner got off with a 35 fine driving without due care and attention!!
The wpc on the case said she knew she had made a mistake in not checking credentials correctly and would say so in court, to our detriment. She also said she felt the learner was lying.
However, your wife is not injured, you are insured, let them sort it out. In other words, get a life!
SO, you may see just why I have no faith in our local police.
Rob

Last edited by robinshack; 7th Jul 2019 at 8:13 pm.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 11:59 pm   #62
G0HZU_JMR
Octode

I haven't looked for it for a few years now but there used to be a kind of 'streetwatch' search engine that let you search for recent crimes in your road or nearby. It also gave an indication if a prosecution took place.

It made for depressing reading because virtually all break-ins resulted in no conviction or police action in my area. This seemed to be the case for a lot of North Gloucestershire so I'm sure it must be the same everywhere else.

Quote:
The air rifles were just left at the back of the shed, about 10ft from the door and surrounded by typical radio junk. Not hidden, just leaning against a dexion rack.
I'd be tempted to fib a bit here to the police and say they were wrapped in cloth and hidden in a box out of sight. Otherwise, if the thieves do get caught they might turn out to be well under 18 years old. I think it would be wise to at least try and demonstrate that the guns weren't easy to find in the shed.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 12:50 am   #63
fetteler
Heptode

Yeah, whilst we're appalled by the actions of the dishonest folk who broke into the shed and also frustrated by the response of the overworked and underfunded Police I'm not at all sure that this is justification for lying to them!

Hmmmm.......

There's honesty or nothing.

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 8th Jul 2019 at 1:05 am.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 1:36 am   #64
G0HZU_JMR
Octode

OK but at the very least I'd suggest not repeating the bit about them being left in easy view.

I'm really just trying to point out that the laws for air gun usage and storage have changed in recent years. Storing air guns in a garden shed and also in easy view breaks two of these recent guidelines. I think there is a fine of up to 1000 if the guidelines are broken.

It's all a lot different to when I got my first air rifle in the 1970s. My dad bought it (BSA Meteor .22) for my 11th birthday and I was allowed to collect it from the shop on my own and I brought it home on the bus as a very small and skinny 11 year old. It was still in the big long BSA delivery box with the description of what it was on the outside of the box! The box had ammo in it as well. Sadly I wasn't strong enough to cock it on my own and needed help from a mate so I could actually fire it.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 8th Jul 2019 at 1:48 am.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 7:04 am   #65
robinshack
Heptode

Just to clarify, the rifles were not visible from the doorway. Not until you stood several feet inside the shed and possibly saw the barrel tip of one behind the pile of various test gear, spares and boxes. Sandwiched between this and the overflowing dexion rack.
There were (are still) 2 locks. A mortice lock and covering this keyhole a padlocked hasp. The padlock wad a decent one by squire made a few years ago.
A crowbar or similar with quite a bit of force was used.

I have enough to think, do and worry about, so let us please leave any offences I may have unwittingly commited for the time being and I will update if or when the police speak to me about it.
Thank you.
Rob
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:12 am   #66
Michael Maurice

There seems to be a huge increase in crime where I am. Stabbings, shootings being the more serious, aggravated burglary (They target Indian families for their gold) robbery and burglary are now becoming commonplace.

The Police appear to be interested but in reality are not. The only thing the Police excel at is catching motorists doing a few miles over the speed limit.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:26 am   #67
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Bottom line is, there have been far too many cut backs and yet we are supposed to one of the richest countries in Europe.

We are still acting like 10 years ago but I have gone possibly a bit too far now.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:38 am   #68
PsychMan
Octode

Speeding offences are easy wins for the police, easily detectable, commonly committed, and wrapped up very quickly with very little police time.

I think that's why disproportionally police are more efficient at policing motoring offences vs burglary etc. You could well argue minor speeding infractions are trivial by comparison.

To be honest though, as unpopular as this view is, nobody should be speeding. There are limits for reasons, and the improvements in modern braking systems etc are all there to reduce risk of injury - not to enable us to drive faster.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:53 am   #69
MrBungle
Dekatron

Just remember police are tuned to looking for low hanging fruit. Anything which increases effort isn't of interest.

The annoying thing is while budget cuts have been mentioned, if you don't solve crimes then the perpetraitors are free to commit more thus increasing workload.

Agree on speeding. This is what happened to my fence earlier this year when someone lost control of their vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	186351

Incidentally despite registration plates being available for the vehicle the police didn't manage to find the vehicle or the owner who drove off in a cloud of smoke

Like I said, it isn't low hanging fruit so it didn't get any effort put into it.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:55 am   #70
Michael Maurice

I think we'd need to be careful as to what we put on here as it could easily stray into a political discussion which would be totally off topic for the forum.

Which is why much as i'd like to respond to Hamish's post, I wont be doing so.

I know we are all angry at what's happened but please try to keep your replies to the main topic.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Jul 2019, 11:05 am   #71
GrimJosef
Nonode

It's rare and very welcome to see recognition that views on speeding are just that - views. The same applies, of course, to the view that improvements in car technology are all there to reduce the risk of injury, not to enable people to manage their working and personal lives more effectively. That's not my view. But my view is just a view too. However we are well off-topic now.

Returning to the original subject, I disapprove in principle of law-breaking. So of course I don't condone the actions of the felon(s) who have broken into Robin's shack and stolen his property. But I don't condone an illegal response to it either. If we don't like the police's priorities then we've been offered a relatively new mechanism to influence them - Police and Crime Commissioners. Might it be worth complaining to them ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 8th Jul 2019, 11:08 am   #72
paulsherwin

The police approach to minor domestic burglary has been the same for many years. It's very expensive to carry out a Sherlock Holmes style investigation, and the result is usually inconclusive unless there's DNA left behind. On the other hand, they know that these crimes are all committed by a relatively small number of old offenders who have been in contact with the police since they were children. They wait for the usual suspects to commit an easily attributable crime, then ask them to confess to a long list of unsolved burglaries.

The police may appear to be more interested in pursuing people for relatively minor traffic offences, but these are easy to attribute and involve little police time.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 11:23 am   #73
The Philpott
Octode

Let's be clear, Rob has not broken the law. Fines are not handed out for breaching guidelines (not unless you're in the finance industry). One extra thing which may or may not be in the guidelines (i didn't check) is recording the serial number of any air weapons.
I really should do this..

The sad truth is that the police haven't the manpower to be proactive any more, just reactive. This must vex uniform endlessly; they get blamed for not being in 4 places at once, every bit as unfair as condemning the postie for a parcel that doesn't turn up. (Also can i just say that if the thread veers too much it will get closed, which is unfair on the OP.) My police are great but UK law and their budget lets them down repeatedly.

(Note post 69 to 72 were input whilst i was writing post 73. Our response times are impressive!)

Dave
Old 8th Jul 2019, 12:24 pm   #74
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I will now keep my head down,it is all too easy to go off.

Thank you Micheal for your wise comments and not removing my post.

Back to security,I have the outbuilding alarmed and also solar lights.Plus most stuff in that building would be classed as "mud weights"!

None of it is high value,possibly the alarm is worth more.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 1:54 pm   #75
Andrew2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
My neighbour has carpet tack strips nailed to the top of his fence. That appears to be quite effective
I can vouch for these things, sharp as cats claws they are. We are in the process of preparing the lounge and hallway for new floors and removing the carpet and their 'grippers' was an experience. I've got plasters on most of my fingers now!
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:48 pm   #76
G0HZU_JMR
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Fines are not handed out for breaching guidelines (not unless you're in the finance industry).
Dave
I know Rob doesn't want to read any more about the legal side of this but maybe some people will benefit from reading the details of why the recent storage laws are in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key

I think the new legislation is meant as a deterrent against casual storage by owners who just want to dump an air rifle somewhere in a room or shed when not being used.

If one piece of goodness comes out of this unfortunate situation I hope it is that people will read what I'm saying here and take steps to lock away their old air guns in a safe place because it has been a legal requirement to do so since 2011. I really don't think this aspect of the situation needs any further discussion because the law is clear on this.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 8th Jul 2019 at 6:08 pm.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 7:24 pm   #77
robinshack
Heptode

Thanks Jeremy for the link. It might help if other forum members have airguns in unsuitable storage.
Today has been busy. Sorting out boxes to find various electrical sensors etc for when I do the security lighting.
I tidied up my alarm box and made wiring permanent.
Finally, a short while ago I finished securing some timber strips near the shed area gate.
It certainly takes alot of time and effort to get your life feeling more secure again.
Anyone following this maybe might ought to look at what could be done in there own situation. Prevention is better than putting things back together.
Luckily, little damage was done, but it highlighted jusy how weak some of my past security efforts were. The workshop wasn't ransacked either. So I don't feel my privacy has been violated like with a house break in.
Rob
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:14 pm   #78
The Philpott
Octode

Thanks Jeremy, I stand corrected (and need to take action, it appears) -need to talk with my other half to define 'reasonable precautions'

Glad to see you're getting more settled regarding the incident Rob. I certainly felt more at ease after fitting CSH bolts everywhere I could think of.

Dave

Last edited by The Philpott; 8th Jul 2019 at 10:20 pm.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 3:13 am   #79
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

Some years ago, I had a Firearms Licence for a .22 rifle and the storage requirements for that called for a steel cabinet, constructed to an approved standard, fixed securely to a wall or floor. I cannot now recall additional details, but it made the theft of the gun pretty difficult. The Police came to check on the initial installation and could come back at any time to re-check it.

In the context of air-rifles, there is a lobby in the UK urging the authorities that they should come under additional legal restrictions in terms of purchase and ownership. It has to be said that storing air-rifles without good security plays directly in to the hands of that lobby.

B
Old 9th Jul 2019, 4:40 am   #80
Terry_VK5TM
Heptode

I can say I know how Rob feels.

Years ago, 6 hours into the first weekend away in I don't know how long, we got a phone call to say we had been burgled.

Rob, besides the work your doing to improve security, time WILL heal this and you will feel like yourself once again (took me about a month to get back to normal, however you might define normal ).
Closed Thread