UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:05 am   #1
robinshack
Heptode

Default Break in to workshop.

Totally fed up as I write this. Had visitors last night, forced padlocks on outside sheds, 1 has garden stuff, nothing taken. My 8x12 workshop has at the moment 2 air rifles missing. as far ad I can tell.
I think now they know how many tools etc there are, they will be back with a vehicle.

So, today rigging up a microwave / pir detector inside the shed, beaming through the wood to pickup movement neatr the doors. A loud siren out of sight and reach.
Probably a magnetic switch behind the wood needing me to place a magnet on the outside to disable as required.

Personally I would like it to be silent so that the police could catch them in the act. However, that is I feel pointless in this day and age. I have done that before on an empty property and 2 occasions 2 criminals arrested. Zero compensation paid, despite "victim surcharge". However, my insurance rocketed despite never making a claim.

As I feel at this time, I would like barbed wire within my side of the fence that has a few kv at a milliamp or two. However, you are not allowed to do that!

Currently waiting to see if any interest from the police, I am not holding my breath, despite air rifles missing.

This now means a likely increase in home insurance as well, even though I won't claim, but they have to be notified.

Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:50 am   #2
linescan87
Hexode

Default Re: Break in to workshop.

I feel your pain Rob, we have an old house with a mobile home on it that we use for holidays, etc. About two months ago one morning I received a phone call from a neighbour to say the front door of the mobile was wide open.. I was very concerned as I had been storing quite a large part of my collection up there after a house move.

When we got up they had ripped the cooker, fridge and gas boiler out. The funny thing is they had to move TV's and radios out of their way, and did so very neatly taking care not to damage them!!

It's the damage they leave behind that is the problem, repairing the door, the cost of replacing goods, etc. We had the police but it was a waste of time. They said another house was broken into and the only things taken were the washing machine and dryer. They said it was probably people that live in caravans setting up a new home.

I wish you all the best.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC14...SD6uEIZGHxdXCg
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:57 am   #3
greg_simons
Heptode

That's bad news and, as you say the law is no help today, I had a petrol jet washer stolen from the far shed a while back, it really unsettles you for a while, best advice I can offer is to make things as difficult and time consuming as possible for thieves, locks etc, everything bolted down, and get a smart water pack from the local council, most seem to offer this option.
Greg.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 12:05 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

I've had the same on my outside metal storage shed. They nicked the kids' bikes. I'm not complaining though because they were rusty as our kids never took to them and it saved me taking them down the tip. This happened at surprisngly the same time as the arrival of everyone's favourite caravan dwellers. Police didn't even come out and just sent me a letter apologising for not attending and that they were closing the case as there was not enough evidence.

I have found a solution but I refuse to discuss further here as it's probably illegal. It doesn't involve electricity, but probably tetanus.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 12:18 pm   #5
PsychMan
Octode

It's a dirty crime to commit, my deepest sympathies.

Regarding the kilovolt fence - They don't like it up 'em!! (sorry, somebody had to!)

IP cameras are cheaply available now, and feature some cloud picture and video capability. Would at least provide some evidence if the little bleeders return
Old 5th Jul 2019, 12:44 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

My commiserations.

My tactic would be to improve lighting, improve the locks/hinges etc, make your neighbours aware, and until the trouble makers move onto pastures new, consider storing your most stealable tools inside the house, inconvenient though that may be.

N.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 12:56 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sorry to hear this, I would use solar lights and solar alarm in any future buildings.

PS there is a new roll of barbed wire and a 1 KV mains tx set here!
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:20 pm   #8
AC/HL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Totally fed up as I write this. Had visitors last night, forced padlocks on outside sheds, 1 has garden stuff, nothing taken. My 8x12 workshop has at the moment 2 air rifles missing. as far ad I can tell.
I think now they know how many tools etc there are, they will be back with a vehicle.
If he'd wanted them he'd have taken them first time, chances are it really was the guns he was after. They typically only have minutes to get in and out, hence the scattered mess. Distressing as it is, these sorts of crimes are fairly well down the over stretched and under resourced Police's priority levels, and unless a particularly inept burglar leaves a calling card there's not a lot that they can do. Best defence is to imitate a lightning conductor, i.e. make your target less attractive than everyone else's. A noisy alarm with bright lights shouldn't be too difficult to rig up, the sensor out of a floodlight would do it.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:28 pm   #9
robinshack
Heptode

Police said just a few hours ago they might send someone if in the area, which is a town! I asked for the crime prevention officer to call, they don't know if he can.
Fence is 6ft high almost and also the side gate near sheds. The kitchen side back gate is 5ft high. There are marks on the metre high front fence they used as a step up and climbed over this gate. (I think it is illegal for me to use barbed wire on my side of the fence?) They then made their way round the back to opposite side of house, unscrewed the hasp on the inside of the gate for an escape route. Forced the hasp off my shed and broke the padlock on garden tool shed. 8ft x 12ft with about 500kg approx including test gear hand and power tools. Then WW2 radio gear, spares etc.
The new alarm will be on tonight, with led floodlight and pir to be fitted soon.
I thought police only looked at camera evidence if it was a very clear picture in cases like mine of what they see as low level crime?
Only a few weeks back I had a pcso arrive to answer my call about cars parked on nearside in front of a blind T junction on our road. (And at night, without lights and facing wrong way). During daytime almost everyone here has had a near miss caused by overtaking this vehicle and meeting someone head on unexpectedly , who was turning left into our road. I showed her several dashcam videos. She sympathised but stated "We will not do anything"! Also an excuse that there were far worse areas for this in town!
In view of what I have said, you will see I have little faith in police help with my break-ins. It is really up to me to do as much as I can to protect my property. I just found out that two nights ago, 3 sheds were broken into in Holbeach, 7 miles away as well. These things come in spates, and probably when least expected which is the unnerving bit.
Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:33 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

My neighbour has carpet tack strips nailed to the top of his fence. That appears to be quite effective
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:36 pm   #11
robinshack
Heptode

Bill, one old .177 was virtually scrap as it was held together with pvc tape and came from my late dads. The other was a .22 and better, but still 40+ years old. They didn't make a mess at all, just obvious where 2 or 3 boxes had been moved a little and 4 or 5 drawers with tools left part open.
Not sure what they wanted as the garden shed and a lean to with plant pots had also been looked into.
I doubt they expected to find air rifles in outside sheds?
The .22 was probably taken as easy to sell on for drug money. The .177 was in a very sorry state.
At first, the police were interested because of the air rifles and said they might get someone to phone for more info about these. They never did.
Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:41 pm   #12
robinshack
Heptode

Mr Bungle, I thought it was illegal to use such measures (on domestic property) that might cause harm to persons or animals?
Some time after the chap who did our fencing, he did tell me that. His usual suggestion was to use extra long nails on the top timbers!
Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:46 pm   #13
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah it probably is illegal but the police thought it was funny when he called them out to someone who had left a chunk of their tracksuit bottoms on it!

The squirrels don't seem to have any problems getting over it either to his bird feeder. I see a slipper chucked at them on a regular basis!
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:51 pm   #14
PsychMan
Octode

I suspect its an urban myth that the use of barbed wire is illegal. You see similar measures in place at various secure commercial sites. You wouldn't want to climb the fences of the data centres I work at - believe me

It's possible there could be grounds for litigation, but I don't think Johnny Herbert is going to sue and in doing so admit his crime.

I'd imagine it's more nonsense perpetuated by the tabloid media in the spirit of "they have more rights than us", or whatever gets the blood of their readers boiling at a given time.

EDIT: They'd probably tell you it was a legal requirement to provide a mattress to safely land on, and tea making facilities should someone drop in
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:59 pm   #15
Craig Sawyers
Octode

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q78.htm

Craig
Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:08 pm   #16
robinshack
Heptode

OK Craig. Think I saw that recently. Years ago, following a break in with arrests due to my "unique" radio alarm system I was warned by the police to never let (a house renovation) public liability insurance lapse. The reason was that if someone broke in and hurt themselves due to a defect within the house, they could claim against you.
Best we do not pursue this aspect of my thread anymore.
Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:10 pm   #17
The Philpott
Octode

Although it's going to be illegal (blah, blah) I heartily agree with safe electrification or barbed wire. The combination of BOTH in the same system however puts you in the position of being prosecuted rather than just 'asked to remove it' since it would be argued that the shock could cause a quick withdrawal of the hand and a laceration. Stick to one or other if you're going to take such a step, I would.

Shrouded padlocks are available which conventional bolt-croppers have great difficulty with, when they're used with the correct pieces of angled steel. (I'll do a pic later)

Dave
Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:16 pm   #18
Station X

As far as electric fences, barbed wire and glass on top of walls goes, what concerns me most is reprisals from anyone injuring themselves trying to break in. I don't fancy getting bricks through my windows or having my house burnt down.

We all know who's responsible for this type of crime and they are not nice people.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:23 pm   #19
Top Cap
Octode

I had the vertical aerials in my garden trashed one day so when they were not being used, they were connected to a buck/boost variac via a 100 Watt bulb. After a couple of days my anger had receded enough to disconnect it all, I reckoned it was just not worth it to be banged up for life for murder
Hard to evoke anger management in the circumstances.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:36 pm   #20
paulsherwin

The good thing about caravan dweller related thievery is that they will be looking for very specific things - scrap metal, diesel, plant, professional power tools etc. They're unlikely to pay attention to old radios or tellies, or the sort of workshop equipment that we use.

The police know exactly what's going on but find it very difficult to prosecute anybody.

We get much less of this in cities - most of the thieving here is junkies looking for their next fix. There's a big permanent traveller site less than a mile from me, but they mostly leave their immediate neighbours alone.

Anti climb paint is a good deterrent and won't cause you to end up in court yourself.
Closed Thread