UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 30th Jun 2019, 12:56 pm   #1
daver21145
Diode

Default Hello from sunny Worcester (UK)

Hi people,

I have just joined, so I thought I would introduce myself.

I am predominantly involved with the repair and restoration of vintage computer equipment, so I see some of the people I already know from VCFED are already here!

I will, therefore, probably be posting more on the vintage computer threads than the TV or radio threads, although I do have an interest in low resolution TV, so I may rekindle that interest here?

Dave
daver21145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2019, 3:05 pm   #2
daver21145
Diode

Default Re: Hello from sunny Worcester (UK)

By "low resolution TV" I mean (of course) NBTV...

I was being "hassled" to complete my post and go for lunch...

Dave
Old 30th Jun 2019, 4:44 pm   #3
electronicskip
Heptode

Welcome Dave.

Another vintage computer enthusiast here and just down the road from you.
electronicskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2019, 5:00 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Welcome to the forum.

Another vintage computer person here, rather further away.
TonyDuell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2019, 7:38 pm   #5
John10b
Octode

Welcome Dave.
Definitely not a vintage computer enthusiast, much further away
Cheers
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2019, 10:01 pm   #6
daver21145
Diode

Hi guys,

Electronicskip: I work in Gloucester... Near the Barnwood roundabout.

Tony: I think I have seen some of your posts associated with the Nascom and/or Gemini equipment. I have two off Nascom 2's here. I had a Nascom 1 (followed by a Nascom 2) when both of them first came out. Both built from a kit. Sold them both (the Nascom 1 to pay for the Nascom 2 and the Nascom 2 to pay for an Apricot PC). I know where both of my original machines are as well. I had to replace them now I am older and wiser! Much more fun than modern PCs...

John: The rest of my family come from Wales...

Dave
Old 1st Jul 2019, 5:20 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver21145 View Post
Tony: I think I have seen some of your posts associated with the Nascom and/or Gemini equipment. I have two off Nascom 2's here. I had a Nascom 1 (followed by a Nascom 2) when both of them first came out. Both built from a kit. Sold them both (the Nascom 1 to pay for the Nascom 2 and the Nascom 2 to pay for an Apricot PC). I know where both of my original machines are as well. I had to replace them now I am older and wiser! Much more fun than modern PCs...

Dave
Yes, I have a Nascom 2 and a Gemini Galaxy. I even know where they are. I als have an MK14 (I've posted in those threads too), BBC micros, Acorn Atoms, Acorn Systems, Acorn Cambridge Workstation, ZX81, Spectrum, Jupiter Ace, TRS80 Model 1, Model 3, Model 4, CoCo 2, CoCo 3, etc, etc, etc.

But actually, I find 8 bit micros rather boring. So I have a dozen or so PDP11s, a couple of VAXen, a couple of PDP8 series machines, 4 PERQs, a Xerox Daybreak, Whitechapel MG1, 3 Philips P800 series minicomputers, HP9830, HP2100A , various HP9000/200 series machines. And a lot more.

And I agree with your final comment. I agree with it a lot. I could understand the PDP11, the BBC micro, the TRS80 CoCo, etc. I could interface them, I could write programs (OK, simple programs) that did things that _I_ wanted to do. They run some of my test gear, they control various things I've built, and so on.

But this PC is a tool to get me on the web and to download datasheets, service manuals, etc. I haven't a clue how to program it. In fact I can't figure out how to program any 'modern' machine, microcontroller, etc. So I'll stick with the machines that I can use.
TonyDuell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:48 pm   #8
Timbucus
Tetrode

Welcome Dave - I am pretty new here myself but, you kindly let me have the MK14 VHDL over on vcfed which I will have to have a chat about when we have five minutes - I got it working on my Spartan 3 board so thanks for that.

As with others here I enjoy my collection of retro computers and am slowly working through the ones I 'would have' built in the 70's if I hadn't been building my own stereo and trying to get my radio ham licence!

I recently discovered my nice collection of power transistors including some Mullard OC16's and my AVO - this place sends you down these byways of memory...

Tim - another Welshman.
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote