UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:23 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default 1960s Belling cooker- element issues!

Hi folks

I have the opportunity to acquire a rather splendid Belling cooker from the early 60s for my period kitchen. Unfortunately one of the rings and also possibly the grill are non-functioning, presumably due to the elements giving up the ghost. The question therefore is whether anything can be done for a cooker of this vintage or am I on to a loser?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belling2.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	185710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belling.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	185711  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:35 pm   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: 1960s Belling cooker- element issues!

Hotplate elements should be readily available, even if not an exact match close enough to work safely.
The elements fitted at present are probably not original in any case.

The grill element might be a bit more challenging, but there might be similar modern one available.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 1:47 am   #3
usradcoll1
Heptode

In the US, we always referred to those as "ranges". The one shown was referred to as an "Apartment Size", 20 inches wide. They still make them!
I always noticed that the control panels on your ranges were a lot higher to accommodate larger cookware.
Always interested, Dave, US radcoll1.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 6:40 am   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

Those rings are very good, unless they have been physically damaged. You may find the problem is more likely to be the energy regulator.

Mike
Old 26th Jun 2019, 8:31 am   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Ah, the very same Belling model that we had, and for that matter still have, in our house near Durham. I've always thought of it as among the best looking cookers ever, and we're in two minds over whether to try to find it a new owner just before selling the property or to arrange its last minute shipment to us here in Norfolk (there are a few things still that should be making that journey).

There was once rather a fragile striplight above the hob, which your cooker appears to be missing just as ours is. We had some 25 years' constant service from ours, after I initially had to replace one or two boiling rings: those I used were salvaged from another old cooker of a different make which was being scrapped by a second-hand shop. Standardisation wasn't complete, but quite a proportion of aged rings would probably be compatible with yours, and there must be some NOS ones still hanging around. The grill was more of a problem, usually tripping the RCD after it had been on a little while. I never did get to the bottom of that, but then I didn't try very hard, we weren't much disposed to grilling anything so just managed without it.

Paul
Old 26th Jun 2019, 9:14 am   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

As Mike says the elements look good. They tend to get distorted and have a distinctive burnt patch on one area when they burn out. The thermostats that control them do fail though. You could test for a voltage at the element terminals or swap the thermostats between two of the rings and see whether the fault remains on the same ring or moves to a previously working ring.

We had a slightly later Belling cooker, dating from the mid '60s and within a couple of years the heat resistant insulation on the leads that led to one of the rings cracked and shorted to the case blowing the thermostat.

I doubt that oven or grill elements named specifically for that model will be available but if you take measurements of them you may find that they were fitted to later models or completely different cookers. Regular searches of ebay may turn something up.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 9:28 am   #7
FRANK.C
Heptode

There were/are businesses that will manufacture single bespoke elements. They just needed the old element or accurate measurements and also the voltage and power of the element. I got one made many many years ago and at that time the cost was reasonable.

I think I remember a link to such a business posted in these forums not that long ago but cant find it now.

Frank
Old 26th Jun 2019, 9:48 am   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Lovely looking cooker!
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:09 pm   #9
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Putting "radiant cooker ring" into ebay search produces quite a few 6", 7" and even dual rings.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rings&_sacat=0
Yours Richard
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:20 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The RCD-tripping you sometimes get with these - even when fitted with new elements - is because moisture gets absorbed in at the ends of the element (where the connections are) and this renders the insulation between the heating-wire and the outer sheath of the element slightly-conductive.

"NOS" elements that have been sitting around for a few years can therefore appear faulty. The answer is to bake them in the oven (assuming that's still working!) for a few hours before installation, to drive out the moisture.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 5:23 pm   #11
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moose View Post
Hello,
Putting "radiant cooker ring" into ebay search produces quite a few 6", 7" and even dual rings.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rings&_sacat=0
Yours Richard
Get the ones with the most turns for a given diameter. They are more powerful.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 5:28 pm   #12
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
we're in two minds over whether to try to find it a new owner just before selling the property or to arrange its last minute shipment to us here in Norfolk (there are a few things still that should be making that journey).

Paul
My advice would be to keep it. Paul. The Creda Cavalier we bought when we got married in 1980 is still in daily use. We have looked round at new cookers over the years and never found one that has the same build quality, and I bet that your Belling is a step above that in quality
Old 26th Jun 2019, 5:55 pm   #13
Reelman
Octode

Our daily use Belling Cooker is from 1981, it was a wedding present. Over the years it has only required a couple of elements. We get most of them from Sismans Electrical on The Wicker in Sheffield, usually from stock. It appears that these firms have books with pictures of all the elements so a similar one should be easy to find.

The small oven door was sprung loaded to keep it shut. The NOS springs started to fail at ever shorter intervals, presumably the steel had “hardened” over the years and become brittle. Eventually Sismans ran out of springs so now the door is held shut by the very small but powerful magnets now available glued on with high temperature epoxy. Much to my surprise they are still successfully holding the door shut after a year!

Hope you find what you need, they are worth preserving and using.

Peter
Old 26th Jun 2019, 6:09 pm   #14
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Hi folks

I have the opportunity to acquire a rather splendid Belling cooker from the early 60s for my period kitchen. Unfortunately one of the rings and also possibly the grill are non-functioning, presumably due to the elements giving up the ghost. The question therefore is whether anything can be done for a cooker of this vintage or am I on to a loser?

Steve
That looks to be the Belling 'Classic 60', same as the 59T, but with radiant rings and double grill.

If you want to roast a 32lb. turkey, and toast twelve slices of bread at once, this is the cooker for you!

At £69.10s it wasn't cheap, but this quality never is.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 6:23 pm   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
My advice would be to keep it. Paul...
Trouble is, we've moved to a flat with a recently fitted kitchen including oven and induction hob: how long either of those will last is of course anyone's guess, but the Belling couldn't easily be substituted for them. Didin't stop us bringing along the mid-'30s Revo cooker that's followed us around since the first house we rented together back in 1980.

I take back what I said about the missing striplight on this one: looking again at the photos its tubular mounting is there, so most probably the whole fitment is there too, just slightly out of the frame. Even more desirable, then...
Old 26th Jun 2019, 6:43 pm   #16
Refugee
Dekatron

With elements the lowest energy solution to drying them out is to connect them to a 12 or 24 volt transformer that is rated at a couple of amps for about a day.
Just check the DC resistance and if it is above 25 ohms you can use a 24 volt and 1 amp transformer. Just allow it to heat for a while and check how hot it is before leaving it over night.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 7:07 pm   #17
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Trouble is, we've moved to a flat with a recently fitted kitchen including oven and induction hob: how long either of those will last is of course anyone's guess, but the Belling couldn't easily be substituted for them.
Ah that makes it more difficult. To be honest my wife's attachment to the Creda is the main reason that we have never had the kitchen re-fitted. There was a gas hob and electric fan oven fitted when we moved in but she could never get on with the oven. Fortunately the Creda just fitted into the space when the more modern items were removed.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 7:37 pm   #18
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks for all the replies folks. I had noticed that radiant rings in various sizes were freely available, so there is hope. Similarly for the grill, once I can establish the size and shape of the element. If I can acquire the cooker for a reasonable sum, I shall start a thread on it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
If you want to roast a 32lb. turkey, and toast twelve slices of bread at once, this is the cooker for you!.
My signature dish! How did you know?

Steve
Old 26th Jun 2019, 7:47 pm   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, e-spares and similar sites have new elements for these cookers,
No connection, only a satisfied customer.

Ed
Old 26th Jun 2019, 8:22 pm   #20
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks Ed, that's excellent. Thank you for letting me- and others - know.

Steve
Closed Thread