UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 5th Jun 2019, 4:06 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default What's your backlog tally?

There's about 30 sets that I need to either revisit or totally restore. You know how it is, some you get 'stuck' on, some you put aside because something else more interesting comes along, others go faulty again after restoration, and so on. About 12 are vintage valve radios, about 6 are vintage trannies, one Bush TV22, and the rest are 70s and 80s high end hifi receivers and tuners. Frightening isn't it? What about you? Only count sets that you fully intend to work on, not non-working sitters.
Old 5th Jun 2019, 4:25 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: What's your backlog tally?

In my case it's three.

First - finish off my R209 12VDC-vibrator-pack-to-240V-mains conversion. This will then become the summer-house-radio.

Second - the AR88 I've had for 40+ years needs a bit of further attention. I rewired it in PVC and replaced the oozy bathtub-capacitors with modern MKT-types a decade or two back but it now needs something else as-yet-undetermined done to get it back to full HF sensitivity. I might even strip and respray the front panel, though that won't improve the sensitivity!

Third - I've got a Hallicrafters S27 that's been looking at me accusingly from the corner of the shack for something like 18 months now. Full of rotted cotton-covered wire and loads of capacitors/resistors that I know from experience will all be way-off their specified values. I've acknowledged its accusatory stares by in the meantime acquiring a complete set of NOS Westinghouse, RCA and Tung-Sol ex-military JAN-marked valves (including the Acorns).
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 7:36 pm   #3
vidjoman
Nonode

There are many things that I should get around to checking or fixing and then get rid of. I don’t really need 2 spare plasma TVs. The newest being 12 years old and the other is about 5 years older. Kept just in case my newest TV goes faulty. Oh, then there’s the ‘spare’ hi-fi amps and tuners, VCRs and CD players and a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers still in their boxes after we moved nearly 10 years ago. I forgot the several multi-standard analog TV sets lurking around. I often get ‘reminded’ by SWMBO about those as they get in the way when she’s cleaning. Not too often as she only cleans occasionally.

It’s rather difficult as I always have other things to do.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 8:01 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

50 plus inc AR88,S27 and others on military side and no shortage of 1930,s sets!Oh yes,a few tv,s 1948 on wards.
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:45 pm   #5
1100 man
Octode

15 plus TV's: 405, dual standard, 625 & colour.
2 radio's.
1 open reel VCR
4 early VHS machines including Ferguson Hi Fi.
1 'scope
2 Hedghog standards converters
2 '70's Hi Fi amps
5 1100's
2 Mini's
and a Montego!

Not to mention several items I'm particularly looking for!

Cheers
Nick
1100 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:47 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Please don't mention this. I ran out of fingers and toes about a year ago on just test gear
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:58 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

20 years ago, when I started to restore valve equipment for nostalgia but mostly the challenge, I would pass them on as soon as they were finished. Then I started to keep some. Then I bought a few because they were interesting or the right price. Now I have far too many...
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:25 pm   #8
Biggles
Nonode

It would be too traumatic to count up. I am a bit of a hoarder and typically start a project then shelve it for some period of time when something else catches my attention. As well as about 80 plus? radios/amplifiers/test gear items all waiting further attention there are also boxes and baccy or biscuit tins containing home designed or magazine projects waiting completion. Some have cost me quite a bit in components etc so there is a bit of an incentive to finish them. Every once in a while (usually a wet Sunday), I will come across an interesting project when looking for something else, then before I know it I am engrossed in that particular box of long forgotten parts and complete it. I know I will never complete everything before I shuffle off this mortal coil but I will probably die happy working on whatever happens to be on the bench at that point. Then there are four motorbike rebuilds to get round to finishing...
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 1:10 am   #9
fetteler
Heptode

I have to say that it's difficult to quantify but I'm sure that (taking into account all my projects across the board) I have more things to do than I have life left to do them.
Nevertheless I am a very happy chap
That's the important thing!
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 7:30 am   #10
mole42uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Please don't mention this. I ran out of fingers and toes about a year ago on just test gear
Count on your fingers in binary...!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 7:53 am   #11
FIXITNOW
Octode

I always keep them when there done, still room for more in the 2 do pile there is about 6 woodies , 2 Bakelite ,5 bits of test gear ,2 record players, 3 reel to reel and 1 radiogram
FIXITNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 8:54 am   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

I look at restoring radios in two stages, refurbishing the cabinet and getting the chassis working.
I have about 3 cabinets to do and a couple of sets to get working again.
I'm quite well disciplined, I'll hold back getting radios until I've cleared the backlog.......of course unless something unusual should come my way!
Old 6th Jun 2019, 9:22 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm glad I'm not alone.

About 50 radios and 150 clocks.

Better get cracking...
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 9:36 am   #14
DonaldStott
Heptode

Wow - you guys are in different league - where do you find the space to store all this stuff!

I currently have a very modest backlog: -

3 x valve radios

1 x HMV portable gramophone

A signal generator and an analogue 'scope in need of some TLC.

1 x 1980's integrated stereo amp.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 10:32 am   #15
David Simpson
Octode

Me - I guess I'm in the same league as Donald, above. Perhaps a degree of Scottish sensibility when it comes to acquisitions & storage space. Plus, being over three score years & ten, but yet still reasonably fit, I've still found humping items - particularly heavy test equipment & marine equipment, from shelf to workbench - rather burdensome.
There was a time, some years back,(a uni lab clear-out, - 5 old L/R Freelander trips over 6 weeks or so. Fully loaded to the brim), when I was totally overwhelmed with decent but redundant test equipment. Only in the last year or so has it all been dispersed. Mostly given away.
Now, thankfully, I'm just counting the fingers of one hand :- A BEME transistorised Loop DX Marine radio, a wee Perdio tranny, something homebrew to build inside a recently restored mahogany case, a heap of decent valves to graph, and a small pile of junk & gash stuff to strip down for spares. I guess maybe I'm regressing - back in the mid 60's, when I first started working on RAF test eq., me & the chap on the next bench to me used to strip down old BER stuff - and make the gash stuff into something totally different. Thankfully, the Sgt I/C turned a blind eye & thought it a great laugh, as it was just Henlow MU reject equipment anyway.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2019, 12:43 am   #16
Biggles
Nonode

I have just had a quick tally up, and it's a shocking 200 radios/amplifiers/test equipment plus another load of 30 odd bits of amateur radio equipment in the shack, including PMR sets and associated tat. The unfinished projects are difficult to quantify without opening each and every box to look inside. I would say I have something like 20 completed projects, most in regular use. So it doesn't seem very likely I will get them all done. It's taken me about forty years to collect and I never dispose of sets so I suppose it's not a surprising amount really. I have weaned myself off going to auctions and car boot sales, and most of the new aquisitions nowadays are gifts, or donations. The staff at the local auction rooms used to save unsold electrical items for me at one time, I was so well known to them for taking anything home. And you know what? I am perfectly happy and content with the situation (and also have a very understanding wife!)
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote