UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 5th Jun 2019, 3:00 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Evening people. Choosing a radiogram.

It worked OK for me. To save everyone else the bother, I have lifted the images from that page and reattached them here.

Looks like a nice early-1970s instrument; and it even appears to have had a BSR SC11M cartridge retrofitted in place of the factory-fitted cartridge (usually a Vernitron clone of a Sonotone cartridge with a Garrard part number!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rg001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	184479   Click image for larger version

Name:	rg002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	184480   Click image for larger version

Name:	rg003.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	184481  
Old 5th Jun 2019, 3:48 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

And the FM tuner goes up to 108MHz so you get the full range of modern stations when you're fed-up with the old records...
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 5:11 pm   #23
Matt101
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
That's one of the most modern, minimalist/scandinavian styles.

You could easily have that sort of cabinet with a Japanese tuner-amp inserted and a hifi turntable.

As an alternative... have you shown her any photos of Bang and Olufsen stuff? You might get a very favourable reaction.

David
Hadn't thought of that David. May be an option

As for the B&O units I have been looking at those myself for the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff2903 View Post
You could pop down the Fife street club and have a word with Courtney.
Is she still there? I have been told it's some sort of pinball emporium now. I take it you're ex-nuneaton?
Matt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 6:10 pm   #24
Matt101
Diode

So she has arrived home and decided that the collective is right!! Scrap the Radiogram idea she says!! Women!!!!!

So that being said can I have some suggestions on a nice Amp, Turntable & Speakers combo. Will add in a tuner etc at some point. I don't mind trawling ebay etc for the right items. Having had a read of some posts I see that there is a massive difference in everything. I didn't realise that you need to match speakers to amp output etc. Cable should be specific. It goes on! As I said total newbie to all this. Been used to shop supplied stuff but now I would like a nice starter set up. So what are your suggestions?

Thanks for all the input so far. Much appreciated.
Matt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:41 pm   #25
Biggles
Nonode

I use a rather nice Trio tuner-amp at work and it has an aux input but if you require a turntable with a magnetic pickup you may need to add a phono pre-amp. It looks very Seventies and the sound quality is great too. I would say it's about 10 Watts a channel. I think it's a Trio KR2022? but could check tomorrow. It's solid state and has been reliable in the years I have owned it. Maybe it's the sort of thing or a similar model you could pick up on the usual auction sites. My model sits quite happily on a table top and would accommodate the turntable on top I reckon. Most of these units require an external FM aerial connection though unless you are in a good signal area. A few years back these top quality units were going very cheap or unsold on the second hand market but they are definitely worth considering in my opinion.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 8:46 am   #26
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt101 View Post
Having had a read of some posts I see that there is a massive difference in everything. I didn't realise that you need to match speakers to amp output etc. Cable should be specific.
If you read audio magazines and web pages, all those things seem true.

Meanwhile, out here in the real world, things are a little different, much easier, and appreciably more affordable.

1) There aren't really any large differences unless you are comparing something with a major problem. Weed out the bad stuff and what remains is fairly similar and you might have difficulty telling it apart without your eyes open. This is not an idea manufacturer's marketing departments want on the loose. Magazines see it as a business threat. Imagine a competitive review shoot-out that concluded: "Yep, these are all OK, pick any of them, it doesn't matter." And someone who's just laid out crazy money on some cult icon is unlikely to admit they made a mistake.

2) You don't need to match amplifiers to speakers other than very crudely. Most solid state amplifiers will drive most speakers. Most speakers are 8 Ohm nominal impedance, A few are 4 Ohm. If you go for 4 Ohm speakers, just check that the amp you choose is rated to drive 4 Ohm ones.

3) Cable! Oh boy! There is an immense amount of twaddle peddled around the business of connecting audio things together. And it is a business... flogging things with imaginary advantages with astronomical mark-ups.

Woolies bell wire used to be fine as speaker cables, unless you had a long run. Mains cable is OK too, but something stranded is more convenient and less likely to break if flexed. Some mains flex rated at 5 amps or more will be fine in a small room. Simple, easy, cheap. You'll miss out on special magical properties which only true believers can hear. Actually, it's only true believers who think they can hear them.

For connecting tuners/CD machines/etc short lengths of screened cable with phono plugs are needed. Make your own if you wish. If buying, avoid shoddy stuff that will fall apart and get on with life. They DO NOT need to be impressively big in diameter. Their job is to carry tiny amounts of electricity, they are not mechanical linkages. Phono plugs are designed to scrape their contacting parts clean as they are plugged in. Gold plating looks pretty on the outside but doesn't actually do anything... it soon scrapes off the working areas!

Forget beginner's setups. If you're buying second-hand and aren't necessarily tied to brands with cult followings, you can buy excellent stuff which will do you long term for similar prices to basic stuff.

It all hinges on just what turns up when you start looking around. Look for something specific and you could be waiting a long time, or have to pay a lot. There is too much equipment that would do what you want to be able to list so you need to look around and ask for comments on what catches your eye.

But, start with the speakers. Your initial starting point is set by the room. You don't want things which only work well in large rooms. You'll be forced into small speakers just to fit in. (This misses an opportunity, large speakers are less in demand and may be bargains - also size confers some advantages that all the fancy design and technology in the world can't catch up with). Speakers make more difference than anything else to the sound you can make in a given room.

Watch out, though. plenty of people burn out tweeters in speakers (usually by running amps flat out at parties) Also some speakers have foam surrounds to their cones and the foam goes crumbly with age. But replacement tweeters may be available and fitting new foam surrounds can be an easy DIY repair job.

David
Old 6th Jun 2019, 10:13 am   #27
paulsherwin

Good advice from David.

Buying a decent record deck is likely to be the biggest hurdle as these have become fashionable again. Look for direct drive decks from unfashionable brands like Toshiba.

There are many more FM tuners floating around than there are people wanting to buy them, so you should be able to find something decent for little or nothing. I have a couple going spare, but it's not worth the cost and hassle of posting them.

I use twin core mains cable scavenged from scrap vacuum cleaners to wire speakers.

If you have an active Freecycle or Freegle group in your area, it would be worth joining them and keeping an eye on them for a few weeks.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 12:10 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

As it's for your wife's craft room, the looks need to fit her tastes. You could show her photos of some Yamaha tuner-amps and amps. Their electronics is quite decent and they pulled off a very elegant, sophisticated look on the outside. B&O did and still do scandinavian minimalist elegance, though I'd avoid anything with slide controls. Unergonomic, unreliable and difficult to replace.

David
Old 6th Jun 2019, 1:39 pm   #29
MurphyNut
Heptode

I'd go for a Nad amplifier / tuner, the turntable is more problematic as they have come back into fashion and command higher prices than they did some years ago but Technics made some decent ones that won't break the bank.
Speaker will make the most difference in sound I'm fond of Kef, even 30 year old ones will still sound very nice. Avoid Japanese speakers they never sound as good as ones from British companies.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 4:19 pm   #30
paulsherwin

NAD stuff mostly performs very well, but some of the build quality is iffy and as a fashionable brand it carries a price premium, particularly the 3020 amplifier. 80s Japanese stuff from Rotel or Marantz will give you more bang for your buck.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2019, 11:30 pm   #31
ben
Dekatron

Does she primarily want to play records or other thigns like CDs, tapes or mp3s?

If it's a certain 70s 'woody' look she wants, I would look into something like the Sony HMK music centres as discussed here recently. These have pretty much entry level hifi separates quality and usually have a single player deck with magnetic cart. Sanyo G2611 or G2601 look the part too, nice green radio dial!

An even smaller option might be the same sort of thing but minus the tape deck, like the Bush Arena /Scene One, or Marconiphone /Thorn Unit three.

Both options are relatively affordable and can be put to working order again fairly easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marconi unit 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	184551   Click image for larger version

Name:	sanyo g2611.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	184552   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_hmk-70_stereo_music_centre.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	184553  

Last edited by ben; 6th Jun 2019 at 11:34 pm. Reason: pics added (source:internet)
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2019, 12:27 am   #32
Biggles
Nonode

Update on Trio tuner amp model mentioned in post#25. It's actually a Trio KR2200.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2019, 1:09 am   #33
jamesperrett
Heptode

Having had a few units pass through my hands I rather like some of the Dynatron systems from the 70's. Not so much the antique looking units but the more modern looking units were reasonable quality and most will be gentle on your records. I still have an HFC101 system here which features a Lenco L75 turntable.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote