UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 5th May 2019, 2:49 pm   #21
AC/HL

Default Re: Pets

That's the crux of the matter, comparative lifespans. We've had a mix of dogs and cats, often both at the same time. All dropped lucky when we met, if not always with regard to their demise. That's the best you can do in the circumstances. Other pets are available, of course, but the same applies (with the possible exception of a giant tortoise, reputed to have outlived Darwin)!
Old 6th May 2019, 1:07 am   #22
Oldcodger
Octode

I've had dogs and one cat. Cat was brought in to stop a mouse problem, but cat had only ideas of going out at night on tiles, so cat was returned to cat home.
Tortoises- I found two out in Africa. One was straddled on a cattle grid. I can't remember where the other was found. I took them home as pets for the girls, but the tortoises had other ideas. Ended up giving old two torti their freedom.
One dog I have fond memories of was a cross Lab/GS. She watched me bring home a pram ,and respectfully got up on hind legs and inspected it. Months later ( in Nana fashion) she watched us place son on sofa, then climbed up and sat outside him, to stop any chance of him falling.
Daughter had one that sat out side GS room, and if GS cried, thn dog was straight in to wake daughter.
And last little lass I had , (Cairn) watched our GD take her newborn in in carry cot, and Shona sat/ smelled and made friends. All Shona was showing was love for her new family member.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2019, 9:11 am   #23
Andrew2
Octode

Losing a pet is an upsetting experience and can leave us in a bit of a state for weeks and months afterwards. The house seems strangely quiet and 'numb', even if your friend tended to sleep upstairs for hours on end like our cat did.
We've just lost our wonderful Charlie, a big black Tom who loved a bit of fun including playing 'Match of the Day' on the stairs and a late night cuddle-up with his dad - me.
Sadly he developed strange symptoms in the last year and no investigation revealed what was wrong. He died yesterday morning at the age of 12.
But he was a rescue cat and I dread to think what kind of life he would have had if we hadn't turned up at the rescue centre that day.
On the good side he had a happy life with us and the love was mutual.
Picture shows him in his younger days in his tent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_120851.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	183739  
Old 24th May 2019, 10:11 am   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I know what you are going through,it will be 5 years this October since Hamish Boxer passed and I miss him every day and his 3 predecessors.

Never gone so long without another and in reality it is unlikely to happen with cost of Vets fees, even when insured.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:58 pm   #25
Oldcodger
Octode

I know how you feel. I only home rescue. But rescue come with baggage. This little lady came with none. Except a fear of my feet stroking her neck. Rest of family could do it, but not me. I have dwelled on whether she could have had an injury from previous treatment. But that is just self torture.
I do know that her answer would have been to help another rescue find the home she's got to know, with the love we shared, so I've no problem looking for another to give our love and affection to . She'll not be replaced, but take another part of our heart.
However, I've been looking and spotted one Westie in a shelter. Not good with under 16 kids was verdict, and as my Grand son is 10 and likes to be left alone by dogs ( even the little gentle lady could not get close), it was a no no. But all was not lost ,as we were spotted by a little terrier ,who came to the front of cage to look at me, retreated and came back. I asked about her and she was said to be timid. We met and she decided that after a few moments we were folks she's like to meet. Second visit, she was straight up on my knee. I'm sold.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 24th May 2019 at 11:04 pm.
Old 25th May 2019, 12:42 am   #26
Andrew2
Octode

That's wonderful, Old Codger. Probably the way is should be. All three of our cats have found us. Charlie (who has just left us) made a beeline for me as soon as we walked in the room. He was called Jonas at the time and had a reputation for being a bit stand-offish, but as I walked towards the window where he was looking out, he looked round and came to me. In seconds he was in my arms and a few more seconds saw him on my shoulder. He'd claimed me!
And thus started a wonderful friendship. It's such a shame he became ill, and now we've decided he really must be the last. Please cats, stay away.
Old 25th May 2019, 7:06 pm   #27
shaun harris
Triode

i poted earlier about our rescue scottie who we have named bailey lasrt weekend we were out for a sunday stroll with him when he dissapeared under a bush and wouldnt come back when i called him not unusual for a scottie as they are a willfull breed and tend to have a mind of there own . on further investigation i doscovered a very tiny scared puppy vet says jack russell x chiuaha dumped by all acounts so now chaos reigns in the harris household she might only be small but she has the heart of a lion and so far is completely fearless
shaun harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 8:32 pm   #28
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

We are on our third pair (brother/sister, no intention of this, just happened) of unwanted/rescue cats, there has been a bit of an overlap in the past (four adults and four kittens at one point). Hard to let them go, great to have them and there are too many needing homes.

Shaun, good rescue! She will be a pal for life I reckon.
Old 25th May 2019, 8:41 pm   #29
Oldcodger
Octode

Shaun at risk of going O/T Scotties belong to the Scottish Terrier group( Scotties( both black and white)/ West Highland, which is a white Cairn Terrier , Cairns of all colours, Skye Terriers, Dandy Dimonds and a few others) . They share a lot of traits with th folks of the West Highlands in that they have a strong mind of their own, but once they befriend a person or animal it's their best friend. I'd say you have another dog in the house.
Old 26th May 2019, 4:20 pm   #30
stevehertz
Dekatron

I had my ginger cat Tommy for 18 years. After Tommy I had Blackie a huge ex stray that I got from a rescue home. At 18 months old the poor animal had never really known a normal life of 'freedom'. That said, he was settling in great and loving it in the forest area where I live when he succumbed to 'the road'. For the past four years Billie - another stray - has kept us occupied and amused. Not that those three are all the cats I have ever had the pleasure to have shared life with, there are many previous ones. I also love dogs, but I love the independence and charm of cats, there's just something about them. My one and only dog was a totally uncontrollable Beagle named Rip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tommy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	183904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackie.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	183905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_153600.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	183906  
Old 27th May 2019, 12:45 pm   #31
greg_simons
Heptode

Very sad losing a long old friend, hardest thing I've ever had to do was summoning the vet at 2am in the morning to put my old boxer Cleo to sleep age thirteen, time heal though so here's old Cleo and newish bonnie, the sixth boxer since 1960.
Greg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00352.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	183953   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-25-2017-898.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	183954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	183955  
Old 27th May 2019, 12:57 pm   #32
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Another Boxer lover! Though that is a very good age that Cleo made.Bonnie looks good.

Talking of memory,I think we may have had a conversation before on Boxers.
Old 27th May 2019, 3:36 pm   #33
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not that those three are all the cats I have ever had the pleasure to have shared life with, there are many previous ones.
Steve,
What a great trio of felines! We have had cats for yonks - our current guest is Talulah who appears in my avatar. It is a shame that she really doesn't like other cats very much.
Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 4:49 pm   #34
AC/HL

Coincidentally, we have an all black cat called Tallulah and a mostly Scottie with a bit of Cairn/Westie? added, called Hamish.
Old 27th May 2019, 6:31 pm   #35
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

HamishBoxer had a wee friend called Hamish who was a Westie when we lived in Scotland.
Old 27th May 2019, 8:56 pm   #36
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not that those three are all the cats I have ever had the pleasure to have shared life with, there are many previous ones.
Steve,
What a great trio of felines! We have had cats for yonks - our current guest is Talulah who appears in my avatar. It is a shame that she really doesn't like other cats very much.
Colin.
Like, agreed. (would have ticked/selected 'like' but facility not available yet).
Old 28th May 2019, 6:20 am   #37
G4YVM David
Heptode

I'm reminded of an excellent quote from the mouth of David Tennant as Dr Who. "being immortal isn't about living for ever, its about seeing everyone you love die first".
Old 28th May 2019, 8:44 am   #38
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Brilliant!
Old 28th May 2019, 10:32 pm   #39
Oldcodger
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Coincidentally, we have an all black cat called Tallulah and a mostly Scottie with a bit of Cairn/Westie? added, called Hamish.
May I refer you to #29- Cairns & Westie are same breed. Most true Cairn/Westie have a small snout ,but those with a bit more Scottie in them have a larger mouth. It'll be th body that's different- the mind will be a dour old argumentative Scot. Perhaps why a Cairn/Westie is my favourite breed.
Incidentally , Wst Highland Rescue state specifically that Westies do not get on with cats. I beg to differ after seeing my first old lad ( 12.5 KG Dark CAIRN) making friends with a 3 legged Persian. They used to greet each other like kennel mates and the cat came walkies with us.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:03 am   #40
AC/HL

Ours have a sort of armed neutrality. They chase each other, but the cat always has an escape route planned. On the evening walk she follows, but ambushes the dog at any opportunity.