UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 13th Apr 2019, 2:26 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Octode

Default Pets

For some, we have a favourite animal. And in that group mine is dogs. But not any breed. Only one will do . A Cairn. Bred in the north west of Scotland the hardy little animals make good pets. But all are "hail fellow " dogs. So much so that one I had had a few cat friends .One little kitten went for walks with us ,protected by a large Cairn. She'd walked up to him and befriended him.
Sad news is that last Saturday I had to ask my vet to PTS my little lass. A week
later I can only feel able to pass this on.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2019, 4:54 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Pets

My thoughts are with you,our parents Cairn lived to be seventeen.Still got a few scars from him.
Old 13th Apr 2019, 6:09 pm   #3
sortedradio
Pentode

Very sorry to hear this, it's never easy
sortedradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2019, 7:26 pm   #4
G4YVM David
Heptode

Sad news. Please accept my Condolensces
Old 13th Apr 2019, 7:28 pm   #5
bobbyball

Sorry to hear of your loss
Old 13th Apr 2019, 8:50 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Octode

Thanks, lads. The beds are in the cupboard . I want another rescue, so MAYBE SWIMBO feels the same.
For those seeking a good breed, may I recommend Cairns and CTRF ( https://www.cairn-rescue.co.uk/) .
Old 13th Apr 2019, 9:32 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

There is something extra about providing a home and happiness for a rescue dog. Many years ago Alison got one, seemingly a Cocker Spaniel by looks. She was inseparable! She'd do with us when we were on the horses and have a great time investigating the hedgerows, but every while she would jump and nudge Alison's stirrup just to remind her she was there. She knew who'd 'sprung' her!

Her predecessor had been a yellow lab who had succumbed to simple old age. In her later years she hadn't the stamina to go out with us but she really wanted to go. So when she ran out of steam, the solution was for me to ride with knotted reins resting on the horse's neck and the Labrador in my arms. She wasn't light. I still remember the snooty look she gave other dogs which had to do their walking in the normal way

At the end of the day, it sounds like your little Cairn had a good life and was appreciated. May we all be so lucky.

You can really tell the good people from the bad by how they handle animals.

David
Old 13th Apr 2019, 10:55 pm   #8
The Philpott
Octode

Sad day for anyone.

Ours is 50% jack russell, 25% cairn terrier, 25% cavalier KC spaniel. Almost expired with Addison's disease couple of years ago, difficult to diagnose as it waxes and wanes. Funnily enough he doesn't try to kill the resident cat.
If you have a small dog and a cat, and the former has dubious dietary habits, NEVER use cat litter containing bentonite clay. (That nearly killed him as well.)

Dave
The Philpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 7:34 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I feel for anyone who has lost a pet, we have had cats and dogs for all our married life and I'm coming up 80 so we have had a fair amount of experience in that regard.

We re homed three Siamese cats a couple of years ago who are now four years old, in view of the fact that our previous ones have generally lived to about 18 years they will quite likely outlive us!

We have had German Shepherds for most of our married life, I like cats the wife prefers dogs but I do like shepherds so that was the compromise, I like a 'dog shaped dog' if you understand what I mean. Several of them have lived to 14 years our present on is nine so we might survive her.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 7:05 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Octode

Thanks folks.
Old 14th Apr 2019, 8:34 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

There is one certaint, if you have never lost a pet then you can never understand the pain.
Old 14th Apr 2019, 8:47 pm   #12
shaun harris
Triode

i had a scottish terrier for 19 years so i understand your pain its been 2 years now and we have just taken on a wheaten scottie rescue its looking good so far as he now isnt scared to death of us and is begining to enjoy his walks n cuddles
shaun harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2019, 9:17 pm   #13
MurphyNut
Heptode

We've always had cats, they become part of the family and yes when their time comes it's very upsetting.
Old 14th Apr 2019, 10:00 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

Sorry to hear of your loss.

To date, two dogs, two cats -- one from a kitten, the other a stray -- and thirteen gerbils (!) have passed through Montoya Mansions. I'm now down to just one eleven-year-old cat.

It never gets easier to deal with the passing of a pet. You have a special bond with animals. Take care of yourself. If you're meant to have another, it will find you.
Old 18th Apr 2019, 1:38 pm   #15
Oldcodger
Octode

Thanks, Julie - I'm looking. This last one found me. I'd just lost my last one from a very aggressive cancer, and a few weeks later I go a call to ask if I'd take this one. Meant a trip from the Midlands to over the Severn. She'd been ( we suspect) a puppy farm breed she . Poor coat and bad teeth ,from diet ,but the nature. Sweeter than a sugar plantation.
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:59 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun harris View Post
i had a scottish terrier for 19 years so i understand your pain its been 2 years now and we have just taken on a wheaten scottie rescue its looking good so far as he now isnt scared to death of us and is begining to enjoy his walks n cuddles
Shaun- most folk think of Scotties as being black, but there are lighter coated Scotties. The entire Scottish lot likes to defy banding. Westies are white, but in fact, Westies are bred white Cairns. Shona was a wheaten Cairn, but when washed, only the dark stripe on her back denoted her as a Cairn ,and not a Westie. Enjoy,making him forget fear. Shona took four years to forget being tied up ( that's my summing up) outside a supermarket and left. In those four years I had to take her back to car and sit beside her with the doors open ,in the height of summer as she felt frightened anywhere else. I've posted a photo from a trim a couple of years back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 trim.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	182412  
Old 4th May 2019, 8:18 am   #17
Craig Sawyers
Octode

Just over a week ago and I feel able to post that my lovely king of cats Cheese went to a passing car, aged only 8. I was and am totally bereft.
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2019, 1:47 pm   #18
Nymrod121
Octode

A tragic event, Craig. My sincerest ympathy & condolences,
Guy
Nymrod121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2019, 2:06 pm   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sorry to hear this and of course too young to pass regardless.
Old 5th May 2019, 9:51 am   #20
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I sympathise with you, having lost many pets over the years, fortunately we live right out in the sticks nowhere near a busy road but we have still lost them due to old age. There is nothing I can say that will help a lot apart from if you are going to get a replacement do it now.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote