UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 9th Jul 2019, 4:34 pm   #101
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: 13 amp fuse for 1.5mm mains flex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
... that shouldn't preclude us from putting in a lower value to give added protection to the appliance.
Well there are those who argue that it should. The appliance is supposed to be fully protected in and of itself ('fully' in the sense of having no need at all for additional protection).
I'd side with Rambo here. A bit of extra protection never comes amiss. I have appliances which have no internal fuse at all (vintage radios) and some which might have but I can't see anything (some modern stuff).

If I have a table lamp, (for which a 1A fuse is technically appropriate but the label underneath might say 3A on the basis that 3A and 13A are the two values commonly sold in the shops), and the lead gets a bit frayed, and I replace it but only have 1.5mm▓ available so use that, I wouldn't then expect to replace the fuse with a 13A type on the basis that 'the fuse is only there to protect the cable, not the appliance, and it is bad practice to "fuse down" below the cable rating.'
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2019, 4:58 pm   #102
usradcoll1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I once has a 13A to shaver adapter that was fused at 1A.
I can't remember the fuse length now though.

I have one here, it's 20mm or 3/4 in

I borrowed one from a Premier Inn reception once and the fuse was wrapped in tinfoil.
As I'm interested in this sort of thing, I picked up an adaptor to convert a BS1363 plug to a Shucko receptacle.
There was a neatly lettered notice on it, " Concierge Deposit 50P".
I'm sure, it was worth more than 50P.
Dave, USradcoll .
I made a mistake on my entry. The adapter converts a BS1363 receptacle to a NEMA 5-15 plug. It's equipped with a BS1362 13A fuse. Fine Quality device. Dave US radcoll1
usradcoll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2019, 3:04 pm   #103
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Like magic I have rustled up one in retail packaging for a quick tear down....
The socket strip itself is a bodger's special with shutters that can be opened with the earth pin of any 13A plug.
As chance would have it, I have just come across a potential hazard with these socket strips. I pulled this one pictured out from under some furniture at a relative's house, and it literally fell to pieces in my hand. There had been a transformer-wall wart for a little used DAB radio left in it, amongst other things. I presume the heat of the tranny over a decade or so must have helped weaken the plastic, but even the farthest sections could be pulled apart with practically zero effort. Don't recognize the brand, likely a supermarket or pound shop special.

I advise anyone with such a strip into which older wall warts are left connected to check it, to be on the safe side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2080.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	186452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2081.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	186453   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2082.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	186454  
Old 10th Jul 2019, 3:58 pm   #104
Station X

In my experience fuses blow for two reasons, old age or a (possibly intermittent) short-circuit somewhere.

I have a 3kW fan heater which probably draws in excess of 13A. The fitted plug overheated destroying itself and the socket it was plugged into, but the plug fuse remained intact. There've been no problems with the replacement MK plug which was salvaged from a scrap item.

As for extension leads I've seen several which have melted as they haven't been uncoiled before a heavy load was applied.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2019, 4:31 pm   #105
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
In my experience fuses blow for two reasons, old age or a (possibly intermittent) short-circuit somewhere.

I have a 3kW fan heater which probably draws in excess of 13A. The fitted plug overheated destroying itself and the socket it was plugged into, but the plug fuse remained intact.
Yes, fuses can handle surprising overloads: not that long ago I bought a new washing-machine whose heater is rated at 2Kilowatts. Because I was doing some kitchen-refurb work it stood next to the sink rather than being fitted into its proper space, so I powered it via a 2-way trailing 13A extension-lead which was also temporarily powering the fridge.

It did three washes before the 3Amp fuse in the extension-lead's plug failed!
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2019, 5:26 pm   #106
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
Like magic I have rustled up one in retail packaging for a quick tear down....
The socket strip itself is a bodger's special with shutters that can be opened with the earth pin of any 13A plug.
As chance would have it, I have just come across a potential hazard with these socket strips. I pulled this one pictured out from under some furniture at a relative's house, and it literally fell to pieces in my hand. There had been a transformer-wall wart for a little used DAB radio left in it, amongst other things. I presume the heat of the tranny over a decade or so must have helped weaken the plastic, but even the farthest sections could be pulled apart with practically zero effort. Don't recognize the brand, likely a supermarket or pound shop special.

I advise anyone with such a strip into which older wall warts are left connected to check it, to be on the safe side.
That one has a different styling to the one I showed in post#52 so hopefully mine will last a bit longer.
We will just have to be careful to unplug the things from the wall socket before changing plugs over after they have been in use for an extended period and keep a few recently bought ones handy as replacements for when they fall to bits.
It is not the first photo I have seen of one that has fallen apart.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2019, 6:02 pm   #107
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's not just socket-strips that fall apart with age: in the past I've had the covers pull-off elderly 13A plugs when trying to withdraw them from their sockets.

This is either because the cover-retaining screw is tapped straight into the cover - and the boss where it's tapped-into splits, or in some cases the little brass bush fitted in the cover pulls-out of the cover.

(this second failure seems more common in 'rubber' plugs - I guess the rubber hardens/shrinks with age).
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2019, 7:06 pm   #108
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It's not just socket-strips that fall apart with age: in the past I've had the covers pull-off elderly 13A plugs when trying to withdraw them from their sockets..
This is one of the more serious flaws in the BS1363 plug design. You could easily have a situation where the top of the plug is detached, leaving exposed live terminals. I have seen this on several occasions. Especially lethal in an unswitched socket. This is where the Schuko type seems superior, as you usually have to clasp both halves together as you withdraw it, the halves being at 90║ to the wall socket.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 11:08 pm   #109
rambo1152
Octode

Watch this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq2w6z5r4m...14353.mp4?dl=0
"Chris B" who uploaded that in 2016 gives the following information:

For info printed on the bottom was
BLS114
BS1363A
Total load not to exceed 13A

And a sticker which said 20070725 (Which I suspect is the date of
manufacture).
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2019, 12:03 am   #110
ben
Dekatron

That is exactly what happened in my case Graham. Truly appalling materials and build quality.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 5:48 am   #111
Lucien Nunes
Octode

Quote:
If I have a table lamp, (for which a 1A fuse is technically appropriate but the label underneath might say 3A on the basis that 3A and 13A are the two values commonly sold in the shops), and the lead gets a bit frayed, and I replace it but only have 1.5mm▓ available so use that, I wouldn't then expect to replace the fuse with a 13A type on the basis that 'the fuse is only there to protect the cable, not the appliance, and it is bad practice to "fuse down" below the cable rating.'
I don't think anyone is saying it is inherently bad practice to use a fuse of lower rating than the cable. Your table-lamp example is a fixed load that will never approach 3A, so there is no disadvantage in fitting a 3A fuse. However, where the possible future load is unknown, such as in the OP's extension lead or a cordset, an undersized fuse might unintentionally be subjected to a prolonged low overload. A 1.25mm▓ extension cable fitted with a 5A fuse 'because it is only powering AV equipment' might in the future be used for a 2kW load. The fuse will not blow, but the plug will be subjected to unnecessary extra heating.