UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2014, 7:37 pm   #41
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Default Re: Gerry Wells 1929 - 2014

Really sorry to hear of Gerry's passing.

Although I never got to meet him, I knew of his amazing collection, and had seen him on Secret life of machines, and a few other TV shows.

My sincerest condolences to all his family and friends.

Lloyd.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 7:49 pm   #42
Andrewausfa
Heptode

I never got to meet him but on every occasion I've spoken to people who have, it's been clear he was held in high esteem. RIP Gerry

Andrew
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 8:16 pm   #43
Courtney Louise
Heptode

So much respect for a man that gave and gave so much to the community. I never had the good fortune to meet Gerry and I seriously consider that to be my loss. I hope he has plenty of TV's to be working on up in the stars.... A great man who will be very sorely missed and always loved and remembered....
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 8:27 pm   #44
Horris
Pentode

Gerry will be greatly missed. He was a one off.

Dave
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 9:13 pm   #45
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Very sad news indeed. I met him about 18 years ago and I still remember the visit to this day. Possibly one of the original founders of vintage radio and television collecting in this country. Without him I think a lot of this countrys electronic history would have been lost forever. He was very much like Fred Dibnah in that he came from a simpler and now lost era.

Sadly missed RIP, and hope he is in a workshop far away with Alan Blumlein and his team of 405 line television pioneers as company.

Christopher
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 9:47 pm   #46
robin coleman
Hexode

A very sad day. He was such a knowledgable man and a true gent. R.I.P Gerry.

Robin
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 11:41 pm   #47
Outrun_uk
Hexode

Sad news indeed. I had never met him personally but saw him on Tim Hunkin's "Secret Life Of Machines" and his Valveman DVD. Gone but will never be forgotten. RIP Gerry, my condolences to his family and friends.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 12:25 am   #48
Tazman1966
Nonode

Very sad news and I never got to meet the great man. Rest in peace Gerry. Please accept my condolences to his family and his friends.

Tas
Old 24th Dec 2014, 12:42 am   #49
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Dear all,

I have yet to visit the museum, but hopefully I will do one day.

My father was a TV and radio engineer in the 1950s, so I have long held a fascination for such things, there is something special about an antique that actually works.

My interest started as a child through listening to the Cossor radio that we inherited from my grandfather. Today I have a small collection of 1950s valve radios and early transistor sets, it's an absorbing and rewarding hobby. I use them every day, and love maintaining them.

If it wasn't for people like Gerry Wells relatively ordinary items like these radios would simply vanish into history. It is through the interest and passion of Gerry and the like that these important historical artefacts survive. He has actually helped to perpetuate an interest and hobby that to me appears to be increasing in popularity.

People like Gerry and forums like this one are also sharing and preserving the knowledge that is required to care for vintage radios and televisions, and to keep them working for the future.

Personally I remain convinced that there will be operational vintage radios well after the last iPhone expires!

Rest in peace Gerry.

Best regards,

Gary
Old 24th Dec 2014, 12:46 am   #50
Trifocaltrev
Pentode

It was with a sad heart that I heard the news. The Museum will indeed not be the same without Gerry, it was always a pleasure to see him at the Table Top Sales.

My Thoughts are with Eileen, John and the rest of the team who looked after Gerry so well in his later years.

R.I.P. Gerry.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 8:47 am   #51
Jac
Hexode

A very sad loss for all of us!

Jac
Old 24th Dec 2014, 9:33 am   #52
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Unfortunately I never got to meet the man, I first knew of him as a young boy in the 80's when he appeared in "The secret life of the television set" aired on Ch4 part of the series "The secret life of machines" with Tim Hunkin and Rex Garrod, a wonderful program and series.

Very saddening news indeed.
R.I.P. Gerry Wells,
Old 24th Dec 2014, 11:51 am   #53
Steve
Tetrode

I also first encountered Gerry on the "The Secret Life of the Televison Set", followed by his appearance on the BBC2 "Radio Night". The eccentric character in a white lab coat struck a chord and, some years later, I joined the BVWS and starting collecting vintage equipment.

With precious little spare time to pursue all my hobbies in these fast moving times, I took consolation in Gerry tinkering away at the museum - preserving the technology and pace of simpler times.

Sadly, I never made it to the museum, but I did have the pleasure of meeting him at the NVCF. I shook his hand and I'm pleased to say he proved to be an exception to the well worn adage of never meeting your heroes.

I think "Obsession - A Life in Wireless" will be pulled down from the bookshelf this Chistmas.

God bless you Gerry. You did good.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 3:12 pm   #54
hannahs radios
Hexode

Sad news indeed I never met him but feel I knew him from various TV and radio appearances. If I might be permitted to post a link look on media network archive there are 2 interviews with him talking about the museum and sets he had collected. RIP Gerry
Old 24th Dec 2014, 4:21 pm   #55
YoungManGW
Hexode

I was lucky enough to meet Gerry last January, when my partner had kindly arranged for us to visit the museum. He was welcoming, engaging, warm, and had a wicked sense of humour. His autobiography "Obsession" tells of a man genuinely in love with his trade, skilled beyond measure, and blessed with human failings - it's very funny. The community, and Dulwich, has lost a real character. Rest in peace Gerry.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 6:22 pm   #56
Philips210
Octode

Very sorry to hear this sad news. Gerry was certainly dedicated to radio and must have been one of the most knowlegdeable in his field. R.I.P.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 7:25 pm   #57
beltinge bore
Pentode

Very sad news.

My wife Ruth & myself visited the museum about 3 months ago Gerry was very nice to Ruth (sensing that she was not as keen on old tellies as me I suspect).

A lovely gentleman & very definitely his "own man". Thanks Gerry.

Steve & Ruth Gadsden.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 8:10 pm   #58
gezza123
Heptode

A very sad news.

RIP Mr Wells, all our condolences to his family and friends.
Gezza & June.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 9:09 pm   #59
TNC
Hexode

I first met Gerry back in 1991 since when I have always been grateful for his assistance, enthusiasm and encyclopaedic knowledge.
For many of us Gerry was the Museum so it will be strange indeed to be there without him.

His legacy is that amazing museum he created and which is available to all with an interest in
vintage technology.

Thank you Gerry! RIP.

Trevor.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 9:41 pm   #60
alanmoore
Triode

A very sad loss indeed .a truly great man ,very proud to have known him RIP Gerry
Closed Thread