UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 9th Jun 2019, 7:13 pm   #161
Valvepower
Heptode

Default Re: Any other plug collectors out there?

Hello,

I’m in the throes of getting my late parents’ house rewired, and I just couldn’t let the original 1967 MK pug, which was fitted to the immersion heater, Wylex cartridge fuse consumer unit and Aerialite T.V Outlet all get thrown away!

Regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070072.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	184773  

Last edited by Valvepower; 9th Jun 2019 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Triping errot
Valvepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2019, 5:38 pm   #162
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
I wonder who originally wired the plug pictured in post #140?[
I've always wired plugs with equal-lengths to the terminals.
Surely equal lengths to the terminals only works if the terminals are laid out for equal length wires.

Normal best practice is to cut the wires to such lengths that the line and neutral wires follow paths with equal amounts of "slack" and the earth wire has additional "slack" so that in the event of a cable pullout the earth lets go last.
I should really have said "equal slack in all three conductors" rather than 'equal lengths'.

My argument being that _any_ pullout following cord-grip failure is an issue - both from the safety/hazard PoV and the fact that the equipment will cease to function. A partial-pullout of a short-wired 'live' - causing arcing but not immediate failure-to-function - is to me a serious hazard issue!

Equal-amounts-of-slack-in-all-conductors means any tension is spread equally over all 3 terminals - so the chance of a pullout of any conductor is reduced: equipment will continue to function (albeit with somewhat reduced safety but no immediate hazard) until the next inspection.

Though, like I mentioned, this sort of thing never appeared significant in the "top ten" reasons-to-reject during PAT or any other inspection.

[#1, from memory, was 'outer jacket damaged' - usually because some room-temperature-IQ type had dumped a steel filing-cabinet on top of the cable].
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2019, 7:33 pm   #163
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm wondering who if anyone has another example of this Panasonic "Filtered Plug"??

It's a moulded-on one, fitted to a bit of Anritsu testgear I bought around 1999-2000ish.

According to the markings on the underside it's got a common-mode filter built-in. I guess that in times-past that was a good way to ensure compliance with EMC regulations?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pana1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	185477   Click image for larger version

Name:	pana2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	185478  
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:19 pm   #164
rambo1152
Octode

Several 5A two-pin sockets like this still adorn the skirting boards in a friends new (to them) house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 pin.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	185705  
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:47 am   #165
kjshier
Diode

I get asked for 13 Amp BROWN Bakelite plugs all the time.

I couldn't find a single manufacture so I have taken the plunge and commissioned a production run. We will soon be adding them to our range.
kjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2019, 6:11 pm   #166
Brigham
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjshier View Post
I get asked for 13 Amp BROWN Bakelite plugs all the time.

I couldn't find a single manufacture so I have taken the plunge and commissioned a production run. We will soon be adding them to our range.
Who's doing them? Ward & Goldstone?

I'll take a few.
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2019, 10:31 pm   #167
rambo1152
Octode

Brown Nettle plugs are evocative of my childhood. Most of our electrical items were fitted with them.
(b. 1953)
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote